Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » General   » General Discussion   » Barry Morgan R....  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

Post Successfully Updated.
The post has been successfully updated and is live below.

Barry Morgan R.I.P
Author

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 12/12/2012

We in the War of the Worlds Team are very sad to announce the recent passing of the extraordinary drummer Barry Morgan.

As we are sure many of you will know, Barry lent his considerable talents to the making of Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds and was a much respected and sought after figure in the music industry.

As well as working on The War of The Worlds, in his illustrious career Barry played drums for many top figures in music, including Elton John and the Bee Gees.

Jeff Wayne has asked me to post his thoughts here.

''BARRY MORGAN

Things, both happy and sad can sometimes hit us all in 'waves'. And earlier this week, another unexpected event happened - I was attending the funeral service
of Barry Morgan - one of the best drummers and percussionists ever to come out of Great Britain, and who graced many of my own productions with his brilliant and interpretive drumming, especially on The War of The Worlds.

Attending the service was like appearing at a Roll Call of Honor of some of the finest talent -musicians, singers- composers and songwriters - Great Britain has produced, along with professionals who are behind the scenes but who make the mechanics of our industry look so simple.

Barry most of all was a close family man - the heart of what made his life beat, and it was self-evident how they cared for him by their words of remembrance.

What touched me the most, is that while yes, there were quite a few tears shed, they seemed to be happy ones - knowing they were saying goodbye to someone who had brought an uplifting feeling to their lives, and the overflowing gathering of those who attended, made sure that was the mood of the day. 

In fact one recurring memory of Barry from so many who attended, wasn't about his brilliance as a musician - that was a given - no, it was his infectious laugh which could change the seriousness of a recording session into the most lighthearted moment.  On our Collectors Edition on CD-4 in fact is an out-take titled 'That Laugh' - which I had no idea when I selected it for inclusion in 2005, would I be recounting it today in this context.

As we walked out of the Chapel, the last music we heard was a recording that Barry had played on - terrific I thought, we're all marching out to the beat of his drum.

JEFF WAYNE.''

-----------------

Le Grand Fromage! (Le New Generation!)

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 01/11/2007 18:26

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Active: 25/11/2007
I don't really remember drums in the musical, but hey, R.I.P., Barry, you have good credentials.

If I had a custom title, it'd have to be either "Forum's biggest Weeaboo", or "Der Grammar Fuhrer", not to offend you British people.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 01/11/2007 19:47

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 24/11/2013
Quote: I don't really remember drums in the musical, but hey, R.I.P., Barry, you have good credentials.

Don't remember the drums in the musical. Take a good listen, it's not too hard to pick out the skin beater.

Barry Morgan is no doubt playing drums in a band of his own by now.....

.....wherever he may be.

God rest and keep you.

Bows and Arrows

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 01/11/2007 21:16

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 25/11/2007
Quote: Don't remember the drums in the musical. Take a good listen, it's not too hard to pick out the skin beater. Barry Morgan is no doubt playing drums in a band of his own by now..... .....wherever he m...

I actually haven't listened for a while. Will do it again today.

EDIT: URHURHUR He's in the first song.

How stupid of me, not to remember this.

If I had a custom title, it'd have to be either "Forum's biggest Weeaboo", or "Der Grammar Fuhrer", not to offend you British people.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 01/11/2007 21:29

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Active: 29/06/2013
A great musician who will be sorely missed. R.I.P Barry.

"And as it flew it rained down custard upon the land"
Image hosted by Photobucket.com www.makepovertyhistory.org Image hosted by Photobucket.com
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 01/11/2007 21:32

Enigma
Supreme Being

Active: 22/02/2016

Dear all,

I was particularly drawn to Barry Morgans' drums with the first wonderful Vinyl  TWOTW LP for my 21st B-day (and don't calculate my age please! ) ...just had my birthday last Saturday!!!!

Seriously though, as one with a bit of a hearing problem, drums are a particular attraction to me... so yes, I feel sincerely I can say, I really can remember the powerful effect and sound of Barry's talent in this album as Jeff's  drummer in this first album.

Jeff 's tribute to this man is wonderful and I can well imagine the spiritual effect of what a dynamic personality can leave. But then again , this album is dynamic and whoever works in this project will leave this world one day , remembered for their part in this magnificent work.

TWOTW is a huge project and certainly Barry will always be remembered for being part of this experience...the birth of TWOTW way back in the Autumn of 1978.

So rest in peace Barry,you are well revered - always.

You are a heartbeat to remember,

Loxley xxoxx

Loxley xxx

"I got a plan..."

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 02/11/2007 03:41

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Active: 07/02/2018
My Heartfelt condolences to the Morgan family, and may he Rest in Peace for all eternity. It is nice, in a way, knowing that he will be able to play drums in the huge band in the sky

Brendan Agnew: TWOTW Site Admin and overall Nutter

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 06/11/2007 23:58

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 16/06/2019
It is sad that I must post here tonight. Barry played on many records in this era, one of the greats, but I will always remember him on TWOTW and he will never be forgotten, I looked to see online who else he played with, and this included acts such as Harry Nilsson and Greg Lake. Thats one heck of a CV!

God Bless you Barry, you will be missed.....
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 17/11/2007 02:51
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 17/11/2007

There have been a few drummers that have influenced me over the years. However, none more so, than Barry Morgan’s drumming on The War of the Worlds. He is one of the greatest drummers/percussionists in the world, and my favourite.

I was very sad to hear of his passing. Even though I did not know him personally, I feel that someone special has gone. My deepest condolences go to Brett and his family.

I think it would be a great tribute to Barry, if Brett played drums in the live shows of The War of the Worlds.

JD

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 07/12/2007 15:38
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 27/12/2014

Condolences to a fantastic drummer as an Autistic 22yr old I really feel the beat of the drums-

And the death of such a brilliant drummer is making me feel very sad!..Scott

I have the special collector's Edition 7 disc set and i really loved watching the making of the War of the Worlds

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 2 - 11 messages found Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved