Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds   » Games   » How to get musi...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

How to get music working in Windows XP and/or Vista
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Active: 15/12/2009
First things first, the music not working is not in any way whatsoever related to the game's copy protection, so how you get past that is not something I'm going to discuss, but you will have to apply any cracks you need before continuing to read this.

Now, what is causing the problem is a compatibility issue with winmm.dll, a Windows multimedia API that likes to interfere with certain old games, I also know it causes problem for Metal Fatigue, Re-Volt (if you patch it) and most likely others. The solution for this is here:

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Domino/8282/

Click the link that says "_inmm.dll Ver. 2.38" and download it, open the zip file and run the installer, let it create the desktop shortcut.

I know it's a scary program, but feel free to virus scan it, what it basically does is patch exes to redirect calls to winmm.dll to itself so it can play the CD audio the proper way old games expect to. Now to get it to work, hit the Windows key and R at the same time to open the run dialog, copy paste and run this:

%programfiles%\_inmm\_inmmcnf.ini

Edit the file so the top of it looks like in the attachement then save the file, now run the desktop shortcut and select the "Patch" tab, use the find function to find the War of the Worlds entry, select it and click Patch.

You will be asked to locate WOW.exe, default location is: %programfiles%\Jeff Wayne's 'The War Of The Worlds'
After you locate it the program will ask you to confirm, do so, don't worry it creates a backup. Now if you have more than two CD drives you need to go to the method tab and choose the correct drive next to CD-DA after MCI. Final step is going to the _inmm.ini tab. There you need to click "CD Tracks", select your correct CD drive after "Audio-track number from" and click Get and then click Ok. Click save and save the resulting _inmm.ini file in your War of the Worlds folder (again, by default: %programfiles%\Jeff Wayne's 'The War Of The Worlds').

Start the game and music should now work (proper track changes and everything), some notes:

1: I did not bother detailing what you need to do to get past security if you're not authorized to write %programfiles%, figure it out yourself.
2: This program also allows you to get rid of the CDs and play CD audio from MP3s, I haven't bothered figuring out how myself.
3: If you get problems with sound effects hold down the Windows and R key at the same time again and write "dxdiag" then click run, select the sound tab and move the slider that has the "Full acceleration" text over it all the way to the left. On Vista you do not need to do this.
4: There's a chance this won't work at all on certain systems, anyone knows a better winmm.dll replacement please tell me.
5: Feel free to try to dumb down this explanation so more people understand it. I was going to go with more pictures but only figured out this forum used html and not bbcode after finishing writing.

Attachments:

Clipboard01.gif
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 22/10/2008 23:23

Active: 30/12/2008
Some1 should sticky this. It solved my problem.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 23/10/2008 05:16

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 12/12/2012

I'll see if I can simplify it a bit for the ordinary folks out there and add it to my original game help thread (with credits, natch)

It might take a while, I'm kinda busy. But I'll get on it as soon as I can.

-----------------

Le Grand Fromage! (Le New Generation!)

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 26/02/2009 16:26
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 15/07/2009
the music can play on my cd player .4 songs on human disc, 4 songs on the martian disc trimed down to 48 mins

have a error when playing it see my topic(s)

downloaded the patch can play the game but only have a smaller screen than the normal campaign screen, size is shrunk
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 04/07/2009 16:37

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 11/10/2016
Quote: I'll see if I can simplify it a bit for the ordinary folks out there and add it to my original game help thread (with credits, natch) It might take a while, I'm kinda busy. But I'll get on it as soon...

Could you please simplify it. I could not make heads or tales of it.

Agent ULLA

"The problem is of course, the Humans..."

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 05/07/2009 05:59

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 12/12/2012

Agent Ulla, problem is that the links have gone screwy since last year. This is one of those 'old posts' and that CAN happen.

Internet, eh? Tsk.

PM me, if I can help with your problem I will. If not, I'll get you an answer.

It's all good!

-----------------

Le Grand Fromage! (Le New Generation!)

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 30/12/2009 04:33
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 25/10/2016
Just wanted to say, this is brilliant! Works perfectly, and I really didn't expect it to do anything. Cheers, ZellSF
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 12/09/2014 14:03
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 12/09/2014
This is brilliant! I finally got CD music to play on my Windows 7 (64-bit) laptop. I wish I'd seen this before. Thank you so much for documenting this!
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 1 - 8 messages found
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved