Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds   » Games   » Problems runnin...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

Problems running the PC Game on XP?
Author

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 12/12/2012

We have a lot of requests for assistance from people who buy the Jeff Wayne's War of the worlds PC game and can't run it on their XP machines.

Help is at hand!

Here are instructions on how to make the game work on Windows XP...

Right click and 'save target as' on this link...
http://www.richardgibbs.co.uk/waroftheworldsfixedexe.zip(Thanks to Centurius for hosting the link)
When the download is complete, unzip the file with Winzip and cut the 'WoWexe' that is in the file and paste it in the game folder when you have installed it. It will ask if you want to replace the old file.. answer 'yes'.

Go into the JWWOTW folder in 'Program files' and right click on both the WOW and WOW.exe icons, select the 'compatibility' tabs, check the 'run with' boxes and select 'Windows 98' on the drop down tabs. Click 'Apply' and 'ok'. 

You should now be set.
You *may* find that some of the music won't work and the cut scenes may be distorted but at least the game itself should now run. You may need to go into the JWWOTW folder and click on the WOW.exe to run the game first time. In my case, once I'd done this, in subsequent sessions the game loaded fine from the normal game menu
Also this game, being old and not configured for XP, may try to convince your PC it doesn't have memory to run it.
Best way to combat this is to..
1) Always run the game from a new boot.
2) Make sure all your caches are clear.
3) Make sure there are NO other programs running before playing.
It should work ok if you follow the above steps.

For those requiring game strategies and info on the registries, see this site...

http://members.tripod.com/~fbjor/games/wow.htm

-----------------

Le Grand Fromage! (Le New Generation!)

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 04/08/2005 13:21

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Active: 14/12/2011

Cheers Nerfy

I will certainly have a go at this as I have not been able to play the game since I purchased my XP back in Feb.

Jon

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 20/12/2005 18:55

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 18/11/2011

Has anyone on this forum used the 'WOTW Companion'?

The WOTW Companion is an add on that can be bought from ebay for about a fiver.

It takes away all the bugs that XP thrusts onto the game, and it allows you to view all the AVI clips, listen to the soundtrack and play in fully windowed mode with no problems.

It also lets you tamper with the games registry, so you can change the strength of the machines, their firepower and their armour. You can also have new scenarios where basically you can start as the humans and the Martians own most the UK and you have to start from very basics.

Its a magnificent little program which I recommend anyone to buy

...and slowly and surely, they drew their plans against us

-BWFUK-

The world's number 1 WOTW fan

www.eveofthewar.com

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 01/02/2006 20:42

Active: 04/06/2006
Quote: Has anyone on this forum used the 'WOTW Companion'? The WOTW Companion is an add on that can be bought from ebay for about a fiver. It takes away all the bugs that XP thrusts onto the game, and it a...

Hey Guys.. Ive been monkeying with this game for quite a few years.. I contacted ATARI and they told me IT WILL NOT WORK on XP!!!********!!! IT took me a year of tinkering and such (Im not a guru) BUT finally got it to work.. I was in touch with Dean Bedell (creator of the Companion)But we couldnt come to a working conclusion, due to the overseas issue (Im US) but every time I try to implement the companion on my XP, it screws up everything!! Anyone with a US based XP I dont know if there is a difference...But Im not gonna bug Dean anymore..I recommend the Companion as I gather it has fixes to also run it on XP, not to mention how to tweak things in the registry! He can be very to those (unlike myself) who do not have their heads up their ****!!! If anyone can offer suggestions, please respond... Thanx, S

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 02/02/2006 01:12

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

I don't want this to become a big issue about the 'companion' because this is not a licensed product and has not been submitted to us and so therefore we cannot (and won't) say whether it works or not.

The fixes I personally offer on this site have had very good results in many, many cases with people who run XP. Therefore, I am happy to share them. And, perhaps most importantly, they don't cost anything to people who have already paid for the game, unlike the 'companion'. But the fixes I offer are not a fix-all and are not guaranteed. Can anyone offer a complete guarantee, with regard to the 'companion'? I doubt it or they would have got the 'official' seal of approval.

Therefore, any more references to the 'companion' on this site will be deleted as it's merits cannot be established, and also because (as far as I can tell) it offers nothing new that cannot be obtained (with only a small amount effort) for free.

-----------------

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 02/02/2006 01:35

Quote: I don't want this to become a big issue about the 'companion' because this is not a licensed product and has not been submitted to us and so therefore we cannot (and won't) say whether it works or not...

Hey hold on..Believe me, I do not come here to post (negative, or detrimental attitudes to this site!!) Im almost40 and have grown out ot  that phase...If I offended anyone, I apologize..as that was not my intention..I share the same enthusiasm as everyone else here, and DO NOT wish to make enemies!!!! To all. please accept my apologies.....Sultan

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 02/02/2006 10:11

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

No offence taken. I just had to put forward the official line re unlicensed products is all. We can't have this site being held responsible for anything that may happen as a result of using the program, nor can we be seen to be recommending it, as it is not licensed and the makers have not tried to run it by us.

-----------------

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 02/02/2006 11:55

Quote: No offence taken. I just had to put forward the official line re unlicensed products is all. We can't have this site being held responsible for anything that may happen as a result of using the progra...

Message...Understood...complying..S

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 12/03/2006 16:49

Active: 06/04/2014
ahhh that link dosent work
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 12/03/2006 18:51

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Hmm. I dunno why that is. I'll look into it.

-----------------

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 5 - 41 messages found Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved