Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds   » Games   » Problems runnin...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

Problems running the PC Game on XP?
Author

Group: Forum Members
Active: 06/04/2014
any news on that link at all??
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 26/03/2006 04:45

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 12/12/2012

No. Not sure why it's gone.

If anyone wants the fixed exe, I can mail them the zip file if they PM me.

-----------------

Le Grand Fromage! (Le New Generation!)

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 26/03/2006 18:21

Active: 06/04/2014
Thanx for that works perfectly
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 26/03/2006 21:14

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

You're welcome.

-----------------

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 04/04/2006 13:44
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 05/04/2006

I downloaded a fixed exectuable off the internet, and the game launched.

I went into the game, and started a campaign, and once the FMV SEquence was over i got a DDER_NOEXCLUSIVEMODE Error.

How can i fix this ?

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 04/04/2006 20:11

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

So you don't need the one I have?.. there are a couple of different ones.

First, try these other steps, they may fix the problem.

Reboot your PC and close down all other programs.

Go into the game file folder in 'Program files' and find the WOW and WOW.exe icons. Right click on each of those, click 'Properties', click the 'Compatibility' tag and select 'Windows 98'. 

With all these steps done the game should start by clicking on one of those icons. I found that the game would start ok from the menu for subsequent sessions once I'd done all that.

Systems vary but you may find that the cutscenes and initial title screens look weird and some of the background music may not play but the game itself should work perfectly. 

If you are still having trouble, I'll send you the exe I have and you can try that. 

-----------------

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 04/04/2006 23:54

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

I've amended my original instructions and reposted a new link to the fixed exe.

The new link is...

http://www.richardgibbs.co.uk/waroftheworldsfixedexe.zip

Thanks to Centurius for hosting the link!

-----------------

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 07/05/2006 13:09

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 07/05/2006
Hey I got the game and my pc runs XP and I found that if you copy it all to your hard disk, you can run it from there and it works fine.  No need for the fix.  And the sound and all that are great, the only problem is the music in the music player doesnt work, but you can run the cds in Windows Media Player to hear those
Hope this helps
The chances of me passing my exams, are a million to one...
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 05/08/2006 05:16
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 13/08/2006
I haven't posted here before but I've been watching, with interest, the various hints and tips on getting WOTW to work with Windows XP.

Out of all of the hints I've found the patch and the registry settings link provided by Evilnerfherder (in the "War Of The Worlds Companion" thread) to be of the most use. I am most greatful to Evilnerfherder... my game works again!

At first, when I got the patch, before I found out how to change the registry settings, I had lots of problems... not least the graphics during the SMK video sequences were mashed. The colours were a hell of a mess, but by trial and error I discovered a way to fix that and the resolution problem in the registry settings. I can now run the game in any resolution (that my machine is capable of displaying) and the video sequences look perfect. If anyone wishes to know how to fix this colour problem please say so and I'll do my best to write out some instructions.

The only thing is, I still can't get the darn CD music to work! >.<

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the CD music with some people seeming to believe that the patch makes the CD music work in the game and others saying that "the game music works fine" but then saying "the games CD player does not work but you can play the CD audio tracks in windows media player".

So... to clarify... There are four tracks of CD music on each disc (the type of tracks which will play on a standard CD player). During the games two map scenes, (the War Map and Battle Map), one of the four tracks should play continuously. The individual track and feel of the CD music depending on the nature the scene (whether you are attack, defending, building, etc).

There is not much point in playing it in Windows Media Player because it doesn't do it's intended job of adding atmosphere to the game that way.

If you cannot get the CD player in the games menu to work then the CD music will also not be playing during the game.

There are short bursts of looped music that also play during the game but those bursts are part of the games SFX. They are samples and NOT the CD music.

The patch does NOT allow the CD music to play at the appropriate times during the game. Indeed, it does not allow the CD music to play within the game at all.

I, myself, am working on a way to fix this problem.
I am still tinkering with the registry... I can't help thinking that if the SMK video colour depth problem and resolution problem can be fixed in the registry settings, then there is a good chance that the CD music problem can be solved in the same way.

I might end up just having to try purchasing the companion disk but meanwhile I'll keep poking and prodding the registry settings.

I will keep you posted.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 06/08/2006 21:34

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Thanks weegeri. If you want to post instruction to fix the colour problems on the cutscenes, please do.

If it's ok, I'll also include them in the main post at the top of this thread and credit you.

-----------------

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 2 of 5 - 41 messages found « First Page Prev Page Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved