Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds   » Games   » Problems runnin...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

Problems running the PC Game on XP?
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Active: 13/08/2006
Sure thing nerfy...

The colour distortion problem may or may not effect all machines.. I have an Nvidia graphics card and have tested this technique out on two different Nvidia cards.

During the video cut scenes and the menu screens the colour was badly distorted but in a way which gave me a clue as to the cause.. the colour (as well as being completely scrambled) was very low in contrast. This indicated that the colour palette was too small, IE:- other applications, including Windows itself were "stealing" colours from the cut scenes and menus.

Using Regedit I dug through the registry settings until I came across the following entry folder...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Rage > Jeff Wayne's 'The War Of The Worlds' > 1.00.000 > Screen

This may vary for different game versions but if you look for the "Screen" folder under Rage > Jeff Wayne's 'The War Of The Worlds'...

Inside the Screen folder is the following entry...

Support Screen BPP REG_DWORD 0x00000008(8)

This setting can vary but as those in the know will realise BPP stands for Bits Per Pixel (colour depth).
On one machine I tested it was set to 10 (I dunno why). On another (this machine) it was set to 8, as above (0x00000008(8)). It turns out that the "Support Screen"s are the menu and cut scene screens.
I simply upped the Support Screen BPP setting to 16 bit instead of 8 bit.
To do this simply double click on "Support Screen BPP" and in the dialog box that appears, select Decimal, and type 16 into the Value data box (making sure to clear the box of any existing settings first). Then click OK.

That should fix the colour problem!

Sorry about the long winded post but I hope you can all follow it. Maybe Evilnerfherder or someone can explain it better!?

To keep the posts as short as possible I'll send the screen size fix and what I've found out, so far, about the music problem in seperate posts.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 07/08/2006 12:40

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 12/12/2012
Thanks for that. I'll have a look and see if I can cut it down a bit.

-----------------

Le Grand Fromage! (Le New Generation!)

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 08/08/2006 18:33
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 13/08/2006
OK, so on to the screen size problem.

It has come to my intention that many people have had problems with the screen resolution during the battle maps in the game.
I, myself, had this problem on the other machine and discovered that it also effects only certain graphics cards.

If you go into the same registry folder as before...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Rage > Jeff Wayne's 'The War Of The Worlds' > 1.00.000 > Screen

...you will see the following entry...

Size REG_SZ 640,480

Simply change this entry setting to your chosen resolution. You will also see this entry...

Support screen size REG_SZ 640,480

...just under the "Support screen BPP" setting... Do not change the "Support screen size" entry as the menus and cut scenes and in the game are always set to 640x480 and changing this setting will only cause problems. Only change the "Size REG_SZ" setting.

Next posting I will go into the most important issue... it being Jeff Waynes Musical version of The War Of The Worlds after all! The MUSIC!!!
This is a doozy so you'll have to bare with me as best you can.

Please, anyone who has tried my cut-scene colour fix, could you please give feedback and tell me if it worked for you?

Thanx in advance!
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 15/08/2007 19:59
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 27/11/2007

Hello ^^

I got the PC game many years ago and haven't played it for a long time. I started to play it again last week but I got a problem at first because the game was suddenly stopping while it was loading right before a battle when that screen with the map and all the informations are on the left side...

I did something and then I could get trough that and continue playing.

Last weekend I ended up with a new fight and I got that problem once again. I made several others battles before without any problem and I get that problem now and I can't get trough it.

I'm playing it under Windows XP and selected to run it as Windows 98 in the properties of the exe file.

So I did everything as told on this website but I still can't solve that problem...

Thanks for your help !!!

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 22/09/2007 14:16

Group: SPAM-OR-SUSPICIOUS
Active: 11/07/2009

my PC version works perfectley on windows, after i installed it  anyway, if your's dosn't work, then after you install it, right click it, go to 'properties' then 'compatibility, tick the box that says "run this program in compatibility mode for" use the down arrow, and select Windows 95/98, press 'Apply' then 'Ok' restart the computer, and then it should work , if it dosn't then uh.....

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 26/09/2007 21:29
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 27/11/2007

Nope, that doesn't help at all :p

I even feel like if I didn't select the "Windows 95/98" thingy it'd still work lol...

But I really can't figure what's the problem ...

I'll get another computer soon, so I'll try the game on that other one with the save file I kept before unstalling the game ^^

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 24/12/2007 13:20
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 15/07/2009
if it doesnt work must be a martian conspiracy
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 06/02/2008 12:54

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 13/12/2018

must be.

Last time I got JWTWOTW to work on my pc, was under a flag of Win98SE

oh how I long for those halcyon days of long ago...

Team Burton
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 20/03/2008 06:03
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 20/03/2008
Strange I've had no problems with the sound or video under XP SP2. The Direct Draw Error previously mentioned DDERR_NOEXCLUSIVEMODE is correctable by setting compatibility mode to Windows 98, I've done nothing further since I got the game though I run off images of the discs on my HDD rather than the discs themselves as it's easier for me to transport just my computer without needing the thousands of CDs of games I own.

I didn't need to use a fixed executable at all.

My only complaint since I bought the game off ebay, and it's still annoying me is it's missing the manual which makes things annoying.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 15/08/2008 14:09

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 07/02/2013

Mine works fine (albeit without the music) using the patch from Nerfy's first post: http://www.richardgibbs.co.uk/waroftheworldsfixedexe.zip

You could always try dual-booting your machine with XP and 98

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 3 of 5 - 41 messages found « First Page Prev Page Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved