Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds   » Fan Creations   » WOTW - On stage...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

WOTW - On stage in Salt Lake City, UT
Author

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Active: 29/11/2011
Hello everyone,

I'm a senior in the theatre program at the University of Utah and a long time fan of Jeff Wayne's WOTW. I'm glad I found this forum because I need some help with my upcoming thesis project.

I want to stage Jeff Wayne's WOTW as a multimedia performance, including Music, Dance, Theatre, Film and Visual Art. The performance has two goals; to allow University of Utah Department of Fine Arts students to collaborate with one another and to raise awareness of Jeff Wayne's WOTW in Utah and in the US using the recent trend of multimedia performance.

I have secured the rights to perform the show through Jeff Wayne's company and I have secured a performance space and date at my school. I have also adapted a script from the album, keeping the lyrics and dialogue verbatim, but adding directions for staging. Now the fun work begins...

I need a total of 4 fighting machine puppets to be handled by three puppeteers (one for each leg). I have an idea that one leg will be used to hold the puppet up (that is to say it won't bend) and the other two will articulate in order to make the machine "walk." If anyone has built large-scale fighting machine replicas, I would love to know how you did it.

I need one martian puppet to emerge from a crashed cylinder. Really I just need some disk-like eyes and a lot of tentacles. A children's theatre recently produced "The Little Mermaid" perhaps I can steal some tentacles from them. Once again if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Finally, I need lots and lots of multimedia to be projected on screen behind the performance. I'm doing some video work of my own in order to establish locations or showcase the beauty of the Earth but I would love to feature some fan art. If anyone has any still images, animations, drawings or videos that you would like to be showcased, I would love to display your work on the screen during the show.

This project is all about collaboration and the idea that Jeff Wayne's WOTW needs to be showcased to the world. Any help or advice you can offer would be great and I'll try to keep everyone updated on the production process as well.

Thank you so much!
Connor

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 05/01/2011 01:21

Falzonette
Supreme Being

Active: 28/11/2014
There are definitely models posted on this forum, I just can't remember where right now. If you do a search on the word MFM or model/replica you might find them. There is also some fantastic art work around here as well. Good luck
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 05/01/2011 19:38

Enigma
Supreme Being

Active: 22/02/2016

WOW!! That does sound very exciting indeed!

Experience tells me you will need to seek permission from JWM Group re copyright of music used -therefore advise you contact them to clear your intentions.

Maybe one of their staff might spot this and answer you with advice on where to communicate with them.

I love the idea that TWOTW is becoming more recognised as a classic and within the educational framework.

I wish you loads of happy luck

all good wishes,

Loxley xxoxx

Loxley xxx

"I got a plan..."

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 12/01/2011 18:00
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 04/07/2014
Good luck with your project; I presume you won't be using "life size" fighting machines then?
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 26/01/2011 10:02

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 04/06/2018
Hello,

That sounds like a great project. I'm sure you will have a brilliant time putting the show together. It is hard work but well worth the effort. I would like to assist but we never used puppets when we did out production back in 2008; our MFM was 16 feet high but made of aluminium with scaffold poles for legs. Also, our production was outdoors so we did not use any projection, we had a cast of about 45 people physically performing the show. However, there are lots of very clever animators on this site who have done some really cool WOTW films so maybe they can help out. I really like your 'world wide community approach' idea for your show. Please keep us all informed of progress.

All the best,
Cylinder
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 21/02/2011 20:29

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 29/11/2011
Just got the score sent to me and I'm ready to get rehearsals started.

The show has been cast and we have a great team working on all aspects of production.

You can follow the progress on my production blog at www.wotwproduction.blogspot.com

The first post is just a re-hash of what I've already posted on this forum but there will be some posts to follow regarding casting and the progress. You can expect an update every Thursday.

Thanks for taking an interest and if anyone has anything they'd like to submit to the video track, please contact me.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 24/02/2011 16:18
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 04/07/2014
Well done for getting to this stage.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 24/02/2011 22:08

Enigma
Supreme Being

Active: 22/02/2016

Well done indeed.

Soundstruly promising- you have worked hard to get this far.

all hugs,

xx

Loxley xxx

"I got a plan..."

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 26/04/2011 21:34

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 20/05/2011

I've always thought WotW would work very well as a fully acted-out musical stage show (in fact I've always wanted to take part in such a show myself... probably as a pupeteer ^^); so hearing of someone doing it is great! Shame I don't live in Utah or I would certainly come watch it. ^^

Did you manage to sort out the Fighting Machine and martian puppets? or are you still looking for advice? 

Hope the show goes well. ~ <3

Luperis

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 16/06/2011 11:01

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 04/06/2018
Quote: I've always thought WotW would work very well as a fully acted-out musical stage show (in fact I've always wanted to take part in such a show myself... probably as a pupeteer ^^); so hearing of someon...

Hello Luperis,

We did a full theatrical version of TWOTW back in 2008 at an open air theatre in UK called The Minack theatre: http://www.minack.com/ I put some pics from our show up on Horsell Common some time ago, if you want to have a look.

regards,
Cylinder

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 2 - 16 messages found Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved