Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds   » Fan Creations   » 3D Martian Hand...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

3D Martian Handling Machine
Author

2nd Hand Tripod Owner
Supreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Active: 01/12/2014
Hi guys, long time no posting but Im back!

Some of the longer-time members may remember my Martian Fighting Machine model I did a few years back, well I've decided to do a handling Machine now and whilst I have been posting updates on a couple of different sites I have yet to post here so here is the progress so far...

The handling machine is complete but Im going to be putting it in a full scene.

I found this picture of Dumfries High Road in 1890, around the time of the attack in the original book, and thought a handling machine would look great in the middle, rummaging around for people to harvest so that what I am modelling.

Here are some images of the models so far

this is the building in the centre of the photo

Fountain

Building on right

Some random vehicles to dot about

I want to have a horse rearing up somewhere too so here she is

The scene so far..

And after some moving of the buildings to help composition here is where I am at

There are still a lot of smaller details to be added (no to mention finishing off the buildings in the background)
I want to have a couple of the walls smashed like where the left arm of the HM is by the corner of the building on the right .etc
the road will be cobbled and there will be a couple of characters running abut screaming, though only a couple mind as Im not sure they would really have hung about when news got around of a 20foot tall robot was walking through their town harvesting people

Let me know what you think, and ideas for props and what you think needs changing and I will consider everything

Click Above to visit my 3D portfolio site
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 22/08/2011 20:32

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 21/04/2014
First of all I must say that you are my inspiration, your fantastic Martian Fighting Machine Scene blew my mind when I first saw it,
and as a 3D ''artist'' myself (not compared to you though xD) I always get inspiration from your scene.

And the new scene looks great, I can't wait to see more of it. The way that Handling Machine stands in the middle of the square,
knocking over that pillar is AWESOME! It looks great, the color and shape. Tháts how the Handling Machine should look like. But not just the machine,
everything is great. The detail on the fountain and that clock tower. The open windows on top of the buildings, the amount of detail... It's just fantastic!

I always imagined the Handling Machine as being really horrible, just becouse it's a human collecting blood-drainer. Can't wait to see how you're gonna continue on this one!
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 24/08/2011 21:50

2nd Hand Tripod Owner
Supreme Being

Ah thanks mate that's really nice Glad you enjoyed the other pic

Small update:

I was pointed towards a small passage in the original WOTW book that reads:
"There was a little two-wheeled cart inscribed with the name of Thomas Lobb, Greengrocer,
New Malden, with a smashed wheel and an abandoned tin trunk; there was a straw hat trampled
into the now hardened mud..."

...so I've decided to pay homage to the book and add that in, it'll go on the far left of the image in the mid-foreground.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 25/08/2011 10:26

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

That's awesome, I love those little things! Well modelled too (funny, I modelled a vegetable shop yesterda ) Anyway, I love the detail. The babanas hanging out of it, and the apples/oranges laying like that, small things, but those make everything come alive It's just great, and I am looking forward to the rest!

And maybe it would be cool to have the person in the front (the one about to be grabbed by the Handling Machine being a soldier that is protecting someone, making a last ditch attemt of saving their lives by aiming his weapon at the machine, but gets grabbed just before he can fire. Or is that a little to gruesome?

Something like this, but more a little more terrified, becouse he already knows he's going to die:

(if you don't want me to post this image in your topic, just say it, I'll remove it )
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 25/08/2011 19:43
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 21/01/2016

Mr Dorchain it appears you have a rival

Must say the first image of the handeling machine also blew my mind

--------------------------------------------------------

see tripods - check
run from tripods - check
see tripods dying - check
boast about taking 20 out with nothing but a cough - awaiting compleation
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 25/08/2011 20:08

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Quote: Mr Dorchain it appears you have a rival Must say the first image of the handeling machine also blew my mind

I wouldn't call that a rival, i'd rather call it:

A superior being with more advanced technology... xD

Maybe that's a little exaggerated, but he's defenetly 10 times better then I am, but anyway I can't wait to see what the final result is gonna be

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 25/08/2011 21:37

2nd Hand Tripod Owner
Supreme Being

Horsey is bridled and rearing

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 26/08/2011 06:31

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Awesome I love the detail on the horse, and the manes, not just static, but they look like they are swung backwards as the horse is rearing in panic, well done!
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 30/08/2011 20:54

2nd Hand Tripod Owner
Supreme Being

Fanks
Queue the screaming woman

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 30/08/2011 21:00

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Awesome work! You're the best! Making human characters is defenetly the most difficult subject to make in 3D, but you're great!

Silence can be a little demoralizing sometimes eh?
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 7 - 64 messages found Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved