Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds   » Concerts & Live Events   » EVILNERFY'S TOU...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

EVILNERFY'S TOUR REVIEW *SPOILERS!*
Author

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 12/12/2012

THE WAR OF THE WORLDS LIVE ON STAGE

NEWCASTLE  DECEMBER 8TH 2007

Along with my website colleague, Brendan (Poyks) and some of our friends, I was lucky enough to attend the Newcastle show as the guest of Jeff Wayne and Damian Collier, the show’s Producers.

Having been a fan of the album for (can it really be 30 years next year?) I was, understandably (I’m sure other fans will know what I mean) hyped to see the show again. To my mind, there’s nothing quite like having the opportunity to see this great work performed LIVE by a dedicated and passionate group of musicians and artists and to be in the company of so many other fans under one roof.

After a cheeky beer in the foyer of the Arena (and attempting to dry off after having been caught in the rain on the journey in), we went to our seats to watch the show, accompanied by the pulsing sound of ‘ULLAdubULLA Deconstructed’.

A display on the giant screens showed what was seen as the Martian camera ‘scanned’ the audience, as all took their seats and one or two wags milked their few seconds of fame for all they were worth, drawing some laughs and applause from the rest of the audience.

Then, the lights dimmed and the members of the ‘ULLAdubULLA’ strings took their places, followed by the ‘Black Smoke Band’, all to great applause.

Jeff himself came last (but not least!) in a natty new outfit and took his place, to the sound of cheering from all present, at his podium.

Rather than recount the entire show, I will talk, now, about some of the differences I noticed between this new Tour and the 2006 Tour (and there were quite a few!)

The first, perhaps most obvious, difference is the new hologram Richard Burton. This new technology breathes new life into the Journalist. He turns and ‘talks to’ the artists on stage he interacts with. He runs the gamut of facial expressions as he talks, from horror to disgust and everywhere in between.

There were several tweaks to the CGI and new smoke and light effects that make it, in places, appear that the cast are performing in a smoking, smouldering ruin.

The Artilleryman has a new, much improved, bridge from which to tempt us with his vision of his ‘Brave New World’. Alexis, as always, was amazing and has, without a doubt, completely made the part of The Artilleryman his own.

John Payne, as the Parson, gives a new, exciting ‘rock’ edge to the part and Sinead Quinn, as Beth, offers a quiet strength in trying to convince her shattered husband that all is not lost.

Another innovation (which many I spoke to LOVED), was the dance that the members of the ‘ULLAdubULLA’ strings did as they played during the encores. Jeff told me later that this was, in fact, the idea of the players themselves! They asked Jeff if they could do it for the first show of the Tour and they’ve kept it in since!

Special mentions go to the amazing members of the ‘Black Smoke Band’ (some, like Herbie Flowers and Chris Spedding are veterans of the original album) and especially the lovely Julia Thornton, who many have admired for her spirited and entertaining playing of the percussion and harp.

Thanks for reading my, brief, review. In the next part, I will talk about the Aftershow…

-----------------

Le Grand Fromage! (Le New Generation!)

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 09/12/2007 15:11

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

THE AFTERSHOW- NEWCASTLE DECEMBER 8TH 2007

After being blown away, yet again, by the Live show, my friends and I were lucky enough to be invited to the Aftershow gathering up in the back of the Arena. We were shown, backstage past the many workers dismantling the sets and equipment, to the hospitality room (via a rather nerve-wracking lift ride!).

Grabbing a beer, we took a seat and chatted amongst ourselves about the show but it wasn’t long before we were approached by the Parson himself, John Payne.

John is a lovely, down to earth, guy and was really interested in what we thought of his take on the Parson. He told me that he listened to Phil Lynott’s original interpretation and is striving to give his own version of how the Parson would think and feel. He also expressed an interest in the Official website and has kindly offered to get involved in various ways in the future. More on that soon…

From left to right: Damian Collier, show Producer; Rod Glenn, website member; yours truly Evilnerfherder; John Payne; Brendan Perkins (Poyks); Carol-Anne Yard, website member (Mrs Poyks!)

Damian Collier, the Producer of the show greeted us warmly and really made us feel at home.

Then we met Sinead Quinn. She really is very beautiful and also very much down to earth and loves being in the show.

Your friendly neighbourhood Admin and Rod with Sinead.

Brendan and Caz with Sinead.

I then grabbed Alexis and he remembered me instantly. It’s kind of weird to have the Artilleryman point and shout ‘Evilnerfherder!!’ at you! We chatted a little and he has also offered to do some stuff for this site in the near future. I was also told that Alexis can regularly be heard practising his singing in his dressing room. Such is the dedication of the man!

''EVILNERFHERDER!! WALLOP!!'' Propping Alexis up after one or two glasses of Champers... now he's the boss!

Alexis holds court.

We also met Chris Thompson and Chris Spedding, both very gracious and interested in what we had to say.

Chris Thompson and some other Voices of Humanity. 'Thunder Child' (R.I.P) not pictured.

The Scooby Gang with the guitar Maestro Chris Spedding

I suspect I’ll be the envy of many when I say that I was lucky enough to chat with the amazing percussionist Julia Thornton. She seemed very pleased and flattered to hear that she has a growing, and well deserved, following in the community!

Julia Thornton and her fan club!

Finally, there was, the maestro, Jeff himself. It’s always a lovely experience to meet him (as any who have will know) and I presented him with a ‘plush’ Martian made by a website member, Bayne MacGregor, and we talked about the show and the site.

Jeff gets a new pet, and wonders how he will feed the little critter!

The man himself!

Jeff sandwiched between Mr and Mrs Poyks.

I also had the chance to chat to one or two of the other, backstage people (Hi Robin!), and all were as enthusiastic and dedicated as the main cast members. 

Alas, then, we had to (reluctantly) leave to make the last Metro home. And so, still buzzing, we did so.

I would just like to take this opportunity to thank Jeff, Damian, Julia Boyadjeva, John Payne, Sinead, Alexis, both Chris’, and everyone concerned for being so enthusiastic and passionate about the show, for being so kind and for taking the time to chat and listen to our thoughts.

Thank you all!

Also thanks to Poyks for the pix!

-----------------

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 09/12/2007 17:50

Enigma
Supreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Active: 22/02/2016

What a wonderful account of your experience in the show and I am thrilled to be able to see the faces behind the website at last.

I loved the photos and particualrly of the man himself with his new pet.I could send some seed to help Jeff out- protein based might be best?

I too have met Jeff on a number of occassions and every time- he's such a gentleman. One of the nicest and kindest people in the music business you will ever meet.

I hope to be able to wave hello to Jeff on the 19th at Brighton as I did at RAH last year- where I was actually captured int he DVD outside -much to my shock and joy!

Good for you Evilnerfherder and Mrs and Mrs Poyks- great stuff here. If any of you are going to the brighton one on the 19th- let me know and you might get a friendly nudge form me.

All best wishes

Me Loxley xx

Loxley xxx

"I got a plan..."

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 09/12/2007 19:39

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Thanks for the comment!

I can begin to say how much I enjoyed the night and I would have loved to have been able to sit and chat with the cast members all night over a few beers! They really are genuinely nice, approachable, dedicated people and all share a love of the musical.

I hope fate will dictate that I can meet up with some of them in person again and I have forged new links with several that will (I hope) be of benefit to the site in the future, especially John and Alexis; who are very much up for some of the suggestions I have made to them. I will reveal more soon. 

-----------------

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 09/12/2007 19:59
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 09/12/2007
For you sharp eyed people out there. That is Roxy Music drummer (The Great) Paul Thompson in the background of the photo with Chris Spedding.
Paul in a native of Newcastle and has worked with Chris, Julia and ex-TWOTW keyboardist Colin Good,on a number of Bryan Ferry, Andy McKay and Roxy Music projects.

AJF
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 09/12/2007 20:49

Enigma
Supreme Being

Active: 22/02/2016

Way Hay! Real sharp eyed ! so it seems to be!

Just a thought , Evilinerfherder, did not justin Hayward join in on your chit chat- or was he called away early?

Loxley

Loxley xxx

"I got a plan..."

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 09/12/2007 23:06

Active: 29/10/2008
Thanks for those Nice to see behind the show bits & the old "evil" himself exposed Age 100 My Arse You don't look a day over 78
jules rules

The young,the old,the brave & the bold
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 09/12/2007 23:58

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Active: 29/06/2013
What a brilliant night!!! Full of new surprises such as subtle instrument additions, extra lighting and pyrotechnics, as well as beautifully updated CGI and images on the back projectors. Even the giant tripod seemed to have some new moves. I went from being very happy to see the show again, up to being amazed by the fresh updated feel to the show. This isn't just a repeat of the first tour, it's a wonderfully evolving show that's improving all the time. The aftershow meeting was fantastic, we were made to feel very welcome, and the cast and crew were as keen to talk about the show as we were. Brilliant!!

"And as it flew it rained down custard upon the land"
Image hosted by Photobucket.com www.makepovertyhistory.org Image hosted by Photobucket.com
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 10/12/2007 02:41

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 27/11/2018

Hey EvilNerfHerder...are you from the North East?

Just gotta say, You and the others that went backstage were damn lucky! I'm extremely envious of you guys!

Setvenharis
thecharnelhouse.com

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the Shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams ... glitter in the dark near Tannhauser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain. Time ... to die.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 10/12/2007 03:09

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

I'm not originally from the NE but I've lived here for around 11 years or so (I'm a Sussex boy originally).

Please, keep looking into this site.

We are working on some new features to go up in the new year.   

-----------------

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 4 - 37 messages found Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved