Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » General   » Horsell Common   » best song from ...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

best song from the album??
Author

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Active: 04/06/2018
Thought I would chip in with my thoughts on this subject, but from a performance point of view.

Firstly, I do love all the songs. Each one has it's own purpose and design which all combine together to form a brilliant piece of work. When we performed our show back in 2008 there were many highlights and it was a fantastic experience playing that music live every night. But, rather than pick a particular song, I thought I would choose some moments that really stood out for me from playing in the band:

The opening of EOTW. The audience really didn't know what to expect and this was the first time they heard the band play. When we hit those opening chords I could see the audience visibly sit back in their seats, it was like an invisible wave had wooshed over them. That was amazing to see every night.

The second guitar solo in HC&THR. I had always wanted to play a massive musical show at the Minack and really rock the rocks there. HC&THR totally fulfilled that ambition and the second solo that Stu Clark played captured that moment perfectly. It just soared out across the auditorium and, if there had been a roof on the theatre, it would have blown it off !

Red Weed pt1. This is a very difficult piece to play. There is no beat or rhythm to guide you through it so we had to use lots of eye contact and 'feel' our way through it, almost like a piece of jazz. It was a great sense of achievement to get through it and it was so atmospheric and eerie with all the lights and the dancers and the red weed spreading across the stage. I am also very proud of this song because it required loads of synth programming to emulate all those weird and wonderful sounds that Ken Freeman had created, so to hear it all come together every evening was a brilliant feeling.

Brave New World. The whole song from beginning to end is epic. Playing it is an absolute joy. Watching it being performed brilliantly by the cast and sung fantastically by our Artilleryman, well, it just doesn't get any better than that. It still gives me goosebumps thinking about it even now. A particular moment that will always stick with me from this song is the moment after that descending woosh sound, just before the opening line "Take a look around you" is sung. The atmosphere was electric every night and, from where I was standing, you could see the anticipation on the faces of the audience. We were on the edge of a Cornish cliff, but you could hear a pin drop. That feeling is a memory I will always treasure. And then, when the song kicked in - awesome !!!!

FYI: If you want to know the hardest song to play in the whole show - Epilogue pt 2 ! Again, no pulse to guide you, everyone playing one little motif that builds up in cycles, the cycles in odd bar counts and the cycles themselves having to be counted too. That took a hell of a lot of concentration to play that and we were all sweating like crazy when we had finished. Funnily, the cast and crew were starting to relax at that point as the show was technically over for them (apart from the NASA scientists), whereas the band had the most difficult piece still to play. No wonder we were relieved when we finished that every night !

These were my performance highlights but, really, just playing that music live every night to sold out audiences at the magical Minack Theatre was an unbelievable experience and one that I will never forget.

cheers,
Rob
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 08/05/2010 23:53

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 17/10/2010

A very interesting read, cylinder

My personal fave is Brave New World

Cinderella had two step watermelons, who were very smelly to her! so one day, her fairy god toilet turned a pumpkin into a fanny and sent her of to the poop! HAHA, oh, how ruthlessly absurd.

Stewie Griffins "Mad Lib"

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 29/05/2010 18:52
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 29/05/2010
I'd say I have two..

Eve of the War & Thunder Child.

The first gives me the shivers, the second makes me all amped up
Chiyonosake
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 31/05/2010 00:05

Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 21/04/2014
Brave New World for me and anyone who has not viewed the fan made movie series on Youtube based on Jeff's masterpiece needs to check it out now as part 9 has just been released and it's Brave New World

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrz3cWd9twI&feature=sub
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 04/09/2010 13:09

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 16/04/2011
i like the artilleryman and the fighting machine,its the piece where you see the first 5 fighting machines

Ulla!!!The torment was ended.Perhaps the
future belongs not to us,but to the Martians?
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 03/12/2010 21:36
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Active: 30/01/2011
SPIRIT OF MAN!!!!!
sir david

LOYALTIE ME LIE!!!!!! (loyalty binds me!!) - motto of King Richard The Third
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 06/12/2010 20:57
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 06/12/2010
Oh, that's easy for me:  'The Eve of the War' - openning titles - with Richard Burton as narator.  I have owned "Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of War of the Worlds" in various formats over the years since it came out in 1978.  I never tire of it.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 05/04/2011 06:02
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 20/01/2013
For me it is 'The Artilleryman and the Fighting Machine'
I love the synth progression it has no singing, but it is just some really exotic music and what i really like.

Coupled with the CGI footage it makes a great experience.
I really like the sequence after the Artilleryman shouts "Look! There they are!" as the martians suddenly appear it builds up tension, also the way the track fades out (especially with the live) is really excellent with the electric guitar riffs and keyboard music fading out slowly except a short repeated set of notes, "Buh-buh-bah beeda duduh-duh"
Oh and the guitar riffs by Herby? representing the firing of the heatray are also good.

sends shivers down listeners spines.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 05/04/2011 11:14

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 07/02/2018
Herbie Flowers played bass. Heat Ray Guitar was Jo Partridge, I believe.

Brendan Agnew: TWOTW Site Admin and overall Nutter

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 14/04/2011 08:17
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 20/01/2013
Nope Nope, not the heatray from the second track, Cannot really express the music as words, but not the one that accompanies the firing of the heatray from the cylinder but the firing of the heatray from the Fighting Machines.

best way to tell you where to find exactly what i am referring to is Thunderchild immediately after the journalists line "and melted the Thunderchilds valiant heart"

I will look again, i am very sure it was Herby that did it, (he's the guy using the old faithful guitar that has that sweat corrosion right?)
problem is that i do not know any of these musicians till a few month's ago, and i do not know which one is which, you got two senior guitarists
one that has a 'Conway Twitty' appearance (it's the hair) and the other wearing glasses.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 3 of 4 - 35 messages found « First Page Prev Page Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved