Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » HG Wells   » HG Wells and The War of The Worlds.   » the war of the ...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

the war of the worlds book
Author

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Active: 17/10/2010
dont hope - know

Cinderella had two step watermelons, who were very smelly to her! so one day, her fairy god toilet turned a pumpkin into a fanny and sent her of to the poop! HAHA, oh, how ruthlessly absurd.

Stewie Griffins "Mad Lib"

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 27/06/2006 16:08

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 26/10/2015

'Nerf,

Let me rephrase:  HG Wells is somewhat scorned apon in the literacy world and academically he is/wasn't taught as mainstream (at least around ten or so years ago!): Curriculum texts being something from the 'classics' Bronte and the like, of whom I have seen numberous versions of texts with notes, etc.

This (the Penguin edition) is one of the first times I'd actually seen HG treated with some respect in a mass-printed aspect, raising my own hopes that Science Fiction as a genre, as well as HG Wells own standing, is being recognised as a valid genre of literature rather than something to be laughed at.  I fully recognise HG's works aren't really 'Science Fiction hardcore' but it certainly is the progenitor of Science Fiction work from there on in.

So can someone in the Academic field let me know if there is hope after all?

"Grotesque gleam of a time no history will ever fully describe!"

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 27/06/2006 23:28

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 11/02/2018

I've allway's found it odd that Aliens as such, in the big collective of Alien, from which ever planet or solar system and in what ever form they take and even by what ever their way's of travel or transport, fall into the catergory of science.

Then again I suppose interplanetery Fi does'nt sound as catchy.

Can't sleep, the Clown's will eat me.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 19/07/2006 19:06

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 17/10/2010
YES!!!! I HAVE IT!!! I FANALLY HAVE IT!!! IVE GOTA FREE, PENGUINS CLASSICS EDITION OF WAR OFT HE WORLDS!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! cont wait to read it ill

Cinderella had two step watermelons, who were very smelly to her! so one day, her fairy god toilet turned a pumpkin into a fanny and sent her of to the poop! HAHA, oh, how ruthlessly absurd.

Stewie Griffins "Mad Lib"

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 15/03/2007 20:51

Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 30/08/2007
I hope U enjoy the book Hairyboy01!

No one would've believed in the last years of the 19th centuary that human affars where beening watched from the timeless worlds of space!

slow and surely they drew there plans against us!!!!!!!

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 06/06/2007 23:33

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 30/01/2012
Not read the whole thread yet. But mention of the great book - which I read all the way back in primary school! - drew my attention and served as a reminder to another time and place ...

In Forbidden Planet, London late last year where I spied another War of the Worlds book ... but one which had been 'updated' and 'revised' transplanting the original tale to the 21st century. Reading the blurb on the cover, it's not so much a 'sequel' of sorts but a 'what if we set War of the Worlds now instead of then' scenario. Never purchased it, never saw it in there again when I went back a couple of weeks later to look for it. And cannot find it on Amazon or anywhere else.

But, intriguingly, the story begins on Mars ... just like how Jeff Wayne's ends.

Don't know if anyone else has heard of this book at all?

'That didn't pan out'
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 07/06/2007 01:14

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 12/12/2012

Sounds like it could be 'The Second War of the Worlds'... which is, frankly, rubbish.

I've seen so much rubbish, in fact, I have written a true (ie period and involving the original Narrator) sequel to the book myself. It's gotten good reviews, so far, from Wells and TWoTW fans that I know (in the first draft form) but has yet to be published (I'm still working on it). Who knows, one day, you may be able to buy that in FP!

If you'd like to read an early draft, though, PM me and I'll send you a link.

-----------------

Le Grand Fromage! (Le New Generation!)

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 07/06/2007 02:10

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 30/01/2012
To be honest ... what sprang through my mind when I picked the book up was 'Independence Day' ... I almost purchased it but the cover just wasn't 'right' so shoved it back on the shelf. One thing that struck me about ID4 was the 'homage' to War of the Worlds? It's just after they have tried, but failed, to drop a nuclear bomb on the City Destroyer. In the foreground, as seen from the tank, can be seen a very 'distinctive' snake head poking up at a 'familiar angle'. Or at least it did remind me of the George Pal version.

Yes, who knows your book could very well be on the shelves of FP one day ...

Your kind felicitations re your generous offer of perusal of your draft have been noted and may be taken up quite soon.

Now, I have a sudden urge to rush off and purchase a pocket watch after watching the final part of The Infinite Worlds Of HG Wells merely one hour ago hence.

'That didn't pan out'
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 08/06/2007 20:00

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 27/08/2018

"Administrators, all, is there any academic reasoning behind this?  Will HG (finally?) get added to English Literature as an example of a pioneer in his field (if not creator?)"

Where I come from, H.G. Wells is considered one of the fundamental precursors of (modern) science-fiction.

By the way, how do I correctly quote only parts of a user's post?

Calmar

-------------------------------------

Not a forum moderator of the 'biggest' The War Of The Worlds site's on the net:

http://www.thewaroftheworlds.com

Below the thunders of the upper deep;
Far far beneath in the abysmal sea,
His ancient, dreamless, uninvaded sleep
The Kraken sleepeth
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 09/06/2007 01:46

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 12/12/2012

Many call Wells the 'Father of science fiction', although he preferred the term 'Scientific Romance' for his genre work.

The quote thing is a bit of a pain (one of the things I don't like about this board, but you can't have everything). Probably the easiest way is to cut and paste the relevant parts into your own post, like I do sometimes. I'll see if I can find out if there is an easier way (there are some functions on this board that are a mystery even to me!) in the meantime.

-----------------

Le Grand Fromage! (Le New Generation!)

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 3 of 6 - 55 messages found « First Page Prev Page Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved