Forums   » HG Wells   » HG Wells and The War of The Worlds.   » Voices  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

Voices
Author

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Active: 20/10/2007

Did the martians have a definitive language in the original books.

I know thta it mentions something about alloos and ullas. I think 

-------------------------------------------

Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the
 transition that's troublesome.

Isaac Asimov

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 14/08/2006 18:58

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 26/10/2015

Not that I know of.  A lot has been mentioned elsewhere on this site on this: Telepathy and Tentacle signals being chief thoughts.

Some are happy with the new intro (at the Live Tour) with the Martian VO (from the Computer game) and some are not.

As for the Aloo and Ulla - I would apply that as a psychological thing the Martians employed (a Psi-Weapon?) except the Ulla used in the Musical (IMO)  could be an indication of Presense for the Martians in an Audio format and applied symbolically to the Musical itself as a metaphor for Death (Exhaultation as 1st usuage, Omnipotent Death in it's 2nd and in Astonishment, at Self Death in it's 3rd)

"Grotesque gleam of a time no history will ever fully describe!"

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 14/08/2006 19:07

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 12/12/2012

We didn't see things from the Martians point of view at all in the book, so not really.

They were heard to emit a 'cheerful hooting' when feeding, though. The 'Ulla' and 'Aloo' is another kettle of trout. It depends if you subscribe to the point of view that they are noises the machines make rather than the Martians themselves or not.

I don't think they had a language, as we know it anyway, personally. I think telepathy and perhaps tentacle gestures were the way they communicated. Although, I do like the idea that maybe the 'Ulla' s may have had pitch differences that we could not detect which could make the different sounds mean different things to other Martians nearby. 

-----------------

Le Grand Fromage! (Le New Generation!)

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 14/08/2006 23:25

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 16/06/2019
[quote]They were heard to emit a 'cheerful hooting' when feeding, though.

Maybe they`ve been for a curry? I often "emit a cheerful hooting" after a lamb bhuna!

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 15/08/2006 00:22

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Or, indeed, a Bombay Aloo.

-----------------

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 05/03/2007 20:53

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 06/07/2008

Clearly, in the book, H.G Wells describes the Martians communicating with movement of their tentacles, and he also thinks about Telepathy, already mentioned. Also, in the chapter: In The Storm, he says that as the Tripods passed by him, they cried a howl which drowned out the thunder, "Aloo! Aloo!" But, later in the book, in the chapter: Dead London, I believe, he said as the Martians died the Tripods howled "Ulla! Ulla! Ulla!" So, I think, when the Martians want to call their buddies, for reinforcements I suppose, they use the Tripod call, "Alloo!"  But, when they're about to die, they howl, "Ulla!"

P.S. Why did Jeff Wayne change Aloo into Ulla?

Ulla! Ulla!

"The Earth belonged to the Martians."

thunderchild

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 05/03/2007 23:59

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Quote: Clearly, in the book, H.G Wells describes the Martians communicating with movement of their tentacles, and he also thinks about Telepathy, already mentioned. Also, in the chapter: In The Storm, he say...

Several things in the book were simplified to make the story run more smoothly for the album. Bear in mind, originally the album was only going to be one disc... but it became clear in the early stages that another disc was needed to do the story justice. Hence Jeff having to reach into his own pocket in order to finish it off!

Having the Martians make one sound was probably part of this... but, due to it being an audio recording, they were able to make the same word mean different things with changes in the sound. 

-----------------

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 25/12/2011 20:20

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 14/05/2016
Yes they could be enjoying a chicken vind-aloo! That would tickle their uv-ulla's

*See fighting machine*
*Turn off footy*
*Pick up phone*
''Honey. Should I quit drinking?''
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 1 - 8 messages found
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved