Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » HG Wells   » HG Wells and The War of The Worlds.   » Questionable Ma...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

Questionable Martian tactics
Author

Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Group: Forum Members
Active: 31/12/2011

Also, the Black smoke was designed to be used against possible concealed weaponry. I don't think they were prepared for such a human response, possibly they thought that the heat ray would shock and awe the general population into general disarray, right up until losing a machine at Weybridge and getting one disabled briefly at St Georges Hill. After that they launched the cresent attack with black smoke, advancing Londonward and using the Black Smoke on any areas where guns might be hidden, and then the heat ray on guns that were placed out in the open...such as the heavy siege guns at Richmond and Kingston Hill.

The fact that they used a fair bit of it in London would indicate that they were concerned about concealed weaponry in the houses there perhaps?

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 25/06/2007 01:26

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 10/01/2014
The Black Smoke was the Martians' secondary weapon in my opinion. Its use (once again, IMO) was so that the Martians would not be cornered if the humans launched a pincer maneouvre (the enemy is surrounded and the opposing force 'squeezes' the enemy to destruction). This maneouvre WOULD help the British, like sqeezing a pimple. I guess that if an alien civilisation DID attack Earth, for us (Humans) we would have to adopt this maneouvre thereby being able to ground down the alien opposition to a point where a full scale assault was on the cards.

"Right, now I've packed everything I need. Jumpers, trousers, spare socks, my copy of "Invasions for Dummies" and my tool-kit should the humans damge my machine. I just can't seem to remember where I put my medication...Ah well. I'll live without it!"

Oh really now...

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 25/06/2007 17:43

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 26/10/2015
Of course that would be if we survived a planetary bombardment or being dominated from the air once all the defensive mechanisms we could put airbourne were decimated...

"Grotesque gleam of a time no history will ever fully describe!"

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 06/03/2009 09:52
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 15/07/2009
*gas wasnt only available till the first world war so he imagined the possibility of gas warfare (so who used it in first world war would have read some martian tactics)
*heat ray isnt that common in sf literature. Think this is the first mentioning of 'a ray of immense heat'.so again HG wells jumps ahead with his ideas before starwars esque 'deathstar'like weapons

dont forget the red weed , is the third weapon of mass destruction
that creep and crawled tru the land scape (it is been revisited in 'trigian empire')
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 20/11/2011 22:47

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 14/05/2016
Plus, remember, the heat ray unlike the gas has a 100% guarantee of working

*See fighting machine*
*Turn off footy*
*Pick up phone*
''Honey. Should I quit drinking?''