Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds - The New Generation   » The New Generation Album   » General Feedbac...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

General Feedback for the Next Generation album
Author

Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Group: Forum Members
Active: 03/05/2013
Hi There,

i would like to add a topic, where everybody can give some feedback relatet to the whole new generation album... i don't really know, if such a topic is allready exsiting... so - sorry, if it's so.

The new album is great, i like the changes in the main themes of the music parts and the text of the journalist.
And all of the new cast&crew did really a good job.

But on some parts, i think, it's a bit too much... for example, when the journalist jumps into the water - or at parson nathanials and beths part or brave new world.
there are some effects, that i don't really like much - because i think, they interferer while listening.

what do you think?

CChris
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 25/11/2012 18:24
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 23/11/2017
I thought it wasa superb effect when the journalist jumps into the water! Love the new album and cant wait for the live tour
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 25/11/2012 19:09

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 05/01/2018
Hi, such a topic did not yet exist, I had a small feedback post in my ''iTunes'' topic, but that's it.

And there's another one here that absolutely loved the effect when the Journalist jumped into the water, that was one of the most fantastic moments of the new album.

In other moments I completely agree to you, the echoes or slow motion effects were at some points a bit ''overused'', but I've listened to the new album 8 times now (according to iTunes ) and it's also a matter of getting used to, I know I kept comparing to the original, it's hard not to. But after listening a few times, it all fits.

Although the chorus outside ''Spirit of Man'' (Brave New World, Epilogue) is something I still have to get used to, such vocals are just not my style of music, and in ''Spirit of Man'' they fit perfectly, it surprised me the first time I ever listened to the original album that they weren't in it.

The new ''Brave New World'' is just a masterpiece, not just the vocals, but the music also. The tick-tock background is an incredible nice touch, it reminds me of the ticking cogs and underlines the Steampunk feel that I always compare the Brave New World with, but yet in a very optimistic way. Together with Ricky Wilson's voice it's just a brilliant song.

But things like the ending of the Artilleryman and the Fighting Machine, is just fantastic, not just a fade-out but that little bit of extra ''dadadadadada'' which I am a huge fan of. Same goes for the ending of the second Epilogue.

The Red Weed stayed more or less the same, which wasn't a real surprise to me, it was one of the songs that I really wondered how Jeff would change it. He added the ''It was like walking upon gigantic blood drops'' which was in the extended collector's edition as an out take, it was something that really finished the song to me, as I was even planning to put that out take back into my own project. The ending of the song had this incredible remix sound which my mum does not like downstairs, as my sub woofer reverbs the bass basicly through the whole street when on full power

That's my second view on the album, it's a lot more positive then the first one, I just had to get used to it I guess
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 25/11/2012 20:29

Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 21/11/2013
I also posted feedback in the iTunes thread but really would like to post my thoughts here

Upon first listen I couldn't really make up my mind about the New Generation. My mother (Who had the original LP back in 1978 upon its first release) was listening to it with me and kept making judgements such as "Oh that isn't right" "That sounds wrong" ect which is something I told myself I would never do... so listening to it properly on my own and up nice and loud, I came to the conclusion that the album is brilliant.

I too loved the water effect in the Artilleyman and the Fighting Machine. it really felt as though you were there, with the Journalist.

Upon first listen I thought the dubstep might be slightly out of place but after listening again I think it really suits, especially thinking about the motion of the heat ray and the events taking place in the story. It's great to hear new elements and genres of music making its way into the New Generation album.

There are a lot of echoes and at some moments they really add a great effect and emphasis to the narration, especially at the end of Thunderchild, "The Earth belonged to the Martians"
But in Spirit of Man and the Red Weed it was a little over used I think.

Out of the guest artists I was pleasantly surprised by Maverick Sabre by both acting and vocally. I thought his performance as the Parson was great and got a real feel of emotion and confusion and true fear from him, he was pretty convincing, sadly I didn't feel the same about Joss Stone. I thought at moments her voice was too harsh to be Beth, who is attempting to calm Parson Nathaniel down, her voice I always thought would be a lot softer and I wasn't a fan of her acting.

I was so glad that Horsell Common remained relatively the same as the original, just a few added undertones and changes in instrumentation but I thought that added a new flavour to the track, same as in the Artilleryman and the Fighting Machine.
I also really loved the inclusion of the Martian voices. Some have said they didn't like that aspect but I think it creates a rather eerie effect to the track... the fact the martians are discussing and talk amongst reach other but their intentions remain a mystery to the humans around Horsell Common.

Ricky Wilson is also great as the Artilleryman. His acting is a little...off... here and there especially to begin with but once Brave New World kicks in he's fantastic, although I do think his vocals were double tracked, they didn't sound as clean as say, Maverick Sabre, to me that took some of the strength out of his voice did but still he's got a perfectly suited voice and the added dialogue is also another good addition.

I loved loved loved Thunderchild. Alex Clare has a unique flare in his vocals and his voice is strong. Forever Autumn was also good. I may be in the minority here but Forever Autumn is not one of my favourite songs even in the original.

The Red Weed, both parts remain almost the same, there's a few differences here and there, a sort of fade out of music and then a huge reintroduction.

Liam Neeson overall I thought was brilliant. He's really tried to tear his role away from the style that Richard Burton had in the original. It seems to me that Liam's acting is far better during the parts that were never used in the original and during the interaction with other characters, but perhaps that's because they are new and we've nothing to compare them to.

Sometimes though it does seem that some of the new additions to the music cause it to become a little bit cluttered. There's a lot more going on in the New Generation and it takes pushing the original out of your mind to really enjoy it. It's so easy to sit there and compare performances to Richard Burtons or Julie Covington's ect but when you see it as a brand new album, and don't think about what was there before, stand alone it's a brilliant album and retains that's The War of the Worlds brilliance.

It may sound very odd but my favourite part of the New Generation is actually Epilogue Part 2 (NASA).
The fact that the ending has been altered so it now includes part of the live stage version from 2010's ending with the Martians speaking is fantastic but it's also the very end that was impressive and to me by far surpassed the original. There whole build up to the end and then silence genuinely scared me! haha but it does take a few listens to get used to.

Once past that barrier of expecting Burtons voice it's really enjoyable and overall, the album is freakin brilliant.

Everytime I hear it I love it more and more

Ulla, my pet martian

Ulla decided world domination was a good thing!

And then he caught the flu....the end

December 6th 2012... Wembley Arena, The War Of the Worlds The New Generation, amazing experience
"The tar is not a guitar, it's just a tar but the person that plays it, is the git"- Chris Spedding
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 26/11/2012 06:45

Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 03/05/2013
Hi there, thanks for your opinions so far.
But - don't misunderstood me

I also think, the new arrangements are really well done and it's just enjoyable to listen to it.
I have played the New Generaion nearly the whole weekend in a loop and with every "round" it's getting better.
It's really a great work.

The water effect is now - after some listenings not that "terrible" effect like it sounds in my first post...
but like the others sayed here - the echoes in Spirit of the man or the "devils sound" sounds a bit strange to me...

i think, it need some time, to "accept" this effects, when you growing up with the classic version over the years

But - Liam Neelson and the others did a great work and really sometimes i know think: "how could this have worked in the classic version over so long times?"

So - at this point:

Well Done Mr. Wayne and thanks to the whole team, cast & crew

CChris
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 26/11/2012 10:18
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 08/09/2013
Listening to it as a write. So far I think it's 'okay'. Didn't like the changes (that strange pulsating, deep keyboard sound) to 'The Artilleryman and the Fighting Machine' and 'Thunderchild' as I thought it made the 'battles', between the tripods and the cannons and Thunderchild, lose some of it's urgency. Also (speaking as an actor), I think Ricky Wilson sounds too much like he's reading it from a script and doesn't have the same intensity or urgency to his voice that David Essex had. He also sounds far too chipper on the 'They wiped us out." lines. I think Neeson also sounds like he's reading it, rather than telling the story, as well, in places. Personally I think Patrick Stewart would have made a much better journalist.

Also, and this is the biggest point for me, the music seams to have lost it's 'fear factor'. The original, especially on vinyl, was a very haunting, fightening thing to listen to (especially when I was 8 years old), but this one seems to have lost that... Sounds far too digital. The orginal sounded more 'organic', if that makes sense.

_edit_

Disk 2 is a lot better than disk 1. Enjoyed The Red Weed, except I thought the disk had got stuck at one point, until I realised that it was edited that way... The standout tracks were Spirit of Man and Brave New World. Maverick Sabre as Parson Nathaniel was excellent, and Ricky Wilson was much better in his 2nd performance.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 26/11/2012 12:37

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 21/02/2014
well im currently going through it and just got onto disc 2!

im impressed with it on the whole though what ive heard of the artilleryman up to now well im not so impressed, hes got no umph in him at all. he seems moe like David Essex who i was never impressed with rather than being more Alexis James like which i very much preferred.

but im still working through it and very much enjoying it

the parson well to me at one point sounded a bit like one of the aliens in galaxy quest :-s

hopefully the little things will grow on me and i'll really love it all

but yes on thw whol eits a good new take on it :-) and worth the wait

Mummy to 3 :-)

burdened with CFS/ME though WOTW helps me to get through it :-)
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 26/11/2012 16:06

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 26/11/2013
not fair! at work and have only listened to track 1 so far! It's different and as the original has been with me my whole life....maybe it will remain my favourite BUT I'm champing at the bit to get home and listen to it in full...!
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 26/11/2012 18:18
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 08/09/2013
I've had another complete listen to this now and here are my thoughts:

Overall I think it's good, and it definitely is growing on me the more I listen to it. I still maintain that the changes to 'The Artilleryman and the Fighting Machine' (which is also used in 'Thunderchild') are unnecessary and feel out of place. I'd go as far as to say that it's the worst track on the album, which is a shame because I thought it was the best track on the 2005 SACD remaster.

The rest of the album I think is fine.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 26/11/2012 19:52
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 07/12/2012

After reading a lot of opinions on other social networking sites some people don't see TWOTW-NG for what it is.  It's an ENHANCEMENT.  The original story still thrives at its core but its delivery has moved with the times.  Using modern technology to make it more atmospheric just as new technology (for 1978)  was employed all those years ago.  We still have the original and I believe that the New Generation was never intended to be it's replacement.  Just a younger brother living in modern times. 

woking98

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 6 - 58 messages found Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved