Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds - The New Generation   » The New Generation Album   » General Feedbac...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

General Feedback for the Next Generation album
Author
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Group: Forum Members
Active: 08/09/2013
Good point Woking98. I have nothing against the idea of a remake. It happens in Hollywood all the time and sometimes the remakes do, occasionally, turn out better than the original... A lot of what New Generation does works very well, but I think that the new arrangements to 'The Artilleryman and the Fighting Machine', were a bad choice. I liked the water effect, but the dub-step does ruin the flow of the piece and takes away the suspense of it all. Even if I'd not heard the original I would have thought it a bad move as it just sounds clumsy. The music tells the story as much as the words do and 'The Artilleryman and the Fighting Machine' is basically a battle between the cannons and the Fighting Machines. The music doesn't relay this very well and almost sounds like "battle, action, battle, action, battle STOP *insert BOOM BOOM drumbeat section* Right off we go again!" It spoils the flow.

Just after the line "The Ghostly, terrible heat-ray struck the town" the music sounds like it's heading for a crescendo, but instead of picking up, it enters this odd sounding beat that actually sounds very underwhelming. The melody is exactly the same as the original, but the percussion,the stacatto keyboard and the BOOM, BANG, BANG just makes it sound like everything's stopped... The whole section suffers from a stop-start nature that sounds very wrong in an area that the story is indicating should be a high energy, high action part of the plot. It's more of a whimper than a bang.. It's the only track I have an issue with, the rest of the album works fine. Even the recasting is good, though I think Ricky Wilson is a bit too 'happy' to have had all his squad mates killed by Martians when he first shows up.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 26/11/2012 23:32
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 13/12/2013
Amazon decided not to deliver my copy today despite paying extra to get it the day its released. Thank the lord for Spotify, that's all I can say!

I loved everything about The New Generation. I really didn't mind the Dubstep part as I quite like abit of Dubstep. Can understand why others wouldnt . I think its relevant to be honest. I've always associated Dub step with robots and machinery. But that's just me lol. I do agree however on Ricky being too happy.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 27/11/2012 09:26

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 26/11/2013

The artilleryman is happy because he's not dead! lol.

1st half done and...very good so far. The same hairs on the back of the neck feeling when Liam starts talking as when Richard Burton does. But who is Alex Clare? Never heard of him before. I'd love to know if there is anyone out there who will listen to this who hasn't heard the original?

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 27/11/2012 16:41

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 26/11/2013

Finished it all now! I enjoyed it. I don't think the addition of sound effects and slightly different arrangements is as jarring to me having seen the piece evolve on stage as it might be to those who have only listened to the original. I've got used to hearing other people sing the songs and though I'm not sure our new journalist has quite the voice of Richard Burton...who does? That said I enjoyed the extra narrative being a big fan of the HG Wells novel. I guess these were all bits originally written but trimmed out to fit it onto 2 vinyl discs?

Tomorrow I have  long car journey to do so can listen uninterrupted. As I still hear new things in the original I'm sure I'll be hearing more things in the New Generation for years to come! My only dilemma is ... which way round to listen to the cd's tomorrow (old then new or new then old?!)

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 27/11/2012 20:10

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 16/06/2019
Vick - Alex Clare is probably best known for the voice on the song thats on the Microsoft IE 6 advert , have a look at the video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP50Ewh31E4

First thing... possible spoiler alert if you want to hear it all yourself first, so if thats the case see you later on!

As for me, I planned to buy the CD on release day, feeling that for something as epic as this I wanted the Artwork and the script too, but I wanted it to listen to in the car on the way to work... so I got the download from iTunes as well as a stop gap dead on midnight. Yup.. i love a bit of TWOTW, Me! Might be a bit extreme buying it twice, but I've been waiting all year for this album, and the copy in the car is sorted too!

On first listen I wasn't sure, just skipping through the album just before bedtime, I thought that Joss Stone was over using her soul voice on The Spirit of Man, doing the old "vocal olympics" but on the second listen, I just got it, and decided her acting was pretty good for the part too, as was Maverick Sabre, who genuinely plays the part not as powerful as Phil Lynott, and sounding more like he was really scared and wanting to hide and Spirit of Man is for me the highlight on the album, Brave New World... new arrangement is brilliant and beautifully put together, but there was one thing that I really wasn't happy with, and to me is a bugbear with any modern music, and is highly present in Brave New World as well as Forever Autumn.... and that was a vocal sound effect that makes them sound like there are two of the same people singing at the same time. Not sure if it was Autotune, but it sounded a little robotic and that was the only bit I didn't like.

Things I liked.... so many to mention. One thing I loved about the Collectors Edition was the Gorgeous 'Jangle Piano' sound and it made its way onto the New Generation CD in a few occasions such as Horsell Common and the Heat Ray.

Liam Neeson - A Great choice to play Burton's part... I had a few worries as I thought if anyone else should do TWOTW, it should be Patrick Stewart, but Liam proved me wrong, Lots of changes in his script you will all love... and I can't wait to see the Hologram!

The Underwater effect everyone is going on about... sounded pretty cool, and totally appropriate to the song.

Adding the Lewis MacLeod Martian voices that were originally in the game version, I always thought his talent was amazing with this one. Loved the little chitter chatter the Martians make in parts of the album, I keep listening to see what they're saying, although I think they're vocal stabs that have been hacked apart or played backwards or something like that. I also like the way they have the last word on the album, like they do on the tour. Brilliant.

The Line describing the Red Weed like "Walking on Blood Drops" was a beautiful description, and the extra script used in Spirit of Man, utterly brilliant. The best bit on the New Generation.

Jeff used the same ULLA samples from the original album. I have to admit, on this one, I was worried they would be different, when I was very young, the Ulla used to scare the crap outta me, and I really wanted this bit to stay the same as I didn't want the album to lose its scariness. Admit it everyone, you listen to TWOTW loud in the dark with Good Headphones on , and its the best way to make this masterpiece free your imagination and go wild in your mind. Oh, one other sample I'm glad that they didn't change.. was the cylinder opening... which if I remember rightly is really a wooden Spoon going round a saucepan in a toilet bowl put through a Harmonizer. Still in my mind one of the best and eeriest sound effects ever made.

Not going to say any more, apart from, if you havent bought it already, go get your 'arris down the Supermarket (they're cheaper than HMV!) and get a copy. If I still had a good Record Deck, I would have bought it on Vinyl, and I have so much respect for Jeff bringing New Generation out on that record, as most of us as kids will remember it being best in that format, with the big book with beautiful paintings inside... used to love that as a child. But please, do get it, and don't worry... your favourite album ever has been enhanced, and definitely NOT ruined!
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 27/11/2012 22:01

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 26/10/2015
I have the CD but I haven't listened to it... yet.Part of me is afraid of what I'll find and what I'll do when I get there...

I have read the additional dialogue in the CD though. It seems to be the unedited script that was on the Collectors edition minus one important thing, which I thought was going to be emphasised in this new version - the Narrator's relationship with Carrie! Yes, I know Forever Autumn has always been there but I thought there might be a bit more about Carrie... oh well...

I have to say the packaging is very well done. I am liking the new take on the original images very much (and for some strange reason want bigger, better copies - especially of the New Red Weed picture which is fantastic but the middle fold obscures my view!).

Is it fear that is keeping me from listening to the New Generation? I must reserve two hours to listen to this in the right conditions!

"Grotesque gleam of a time no history will ever fully describe!"

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 28/11/2012 10:37

Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 29/11/2012

Hi everyone,

This week I have been listening to some of the tracks from new release played on Radio Two by Ken Bruce. I have so far heard the beginning narration by Liam Neilson, Thunder Child andForever Autumn by Gary Barlow and Brave New World.

I'm sorry, but, I think the new album release is NOTas good as the original in any way....I will not be buying it.

I am disappointed in Jeff Wayne's decision to produce such a work which I think, degrades the original masterpiece that it is. What was he thinking?

As good as the new artists are in their own right, they just don't and can not compare to the original members. It should not have been done in my opinion. If not careful, Jeff will ruin this awesome work of art.

Alot of the fantastic guitar work by Chris Spedding seems to be mixed down or removed to my annoyance. Herbie Flower's bass seems to have been replaced or played with making sound like a synth bass found on dance and r and b music.

Jeff is trying to appeal to a younger audience of today but I was 11 years old when I first heard it and was totally hooked.

Sorry Jeff.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 28/11/2012 15:46
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 21/01/2016
By listening to small clips you arn't hearing the full picture. Some of the edits on the radio are horrific.

Herbie is still basing away like the clappers and chris feels like he as more guitar

--------------------------------------------------------

see tripods - check
run from tripods - check
see tripods dying - check
boast about taking 20 out with nothing but a cough - awaiting compleation
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 29/11/2012 11:44

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 19/09/2014

I have had the cd on play in the car now for the last 3 days and have to say that I am pleasantly suprised by what Jeff and the team have produced.......the original release is irreplacable so I think that the new version is there to sit alongside side it.....it's not about 'outdoing' something that can't be outdone......and in my opinion the new version sit's alongside it very well.

To get the full effect of the album, it needs to be listened through in it's entirity using a good music system....listening to the odd clip via the internet just doesn't work.

Some of the changes work really well and some don't.

At the moment, I am really enjoying the performances of Liam Neeson,Alex Clare and...dare I say it...Gary Barlow !....I would have put money on me never buying an album which had Gary singing on it but never say never !...I have to say, he does a very good job.

I am starting  to like  Ricky Wilson 's input and am warming to both Joss Stone and Maverick Sabre....who I think sounds a bit like Shannon Noll did on the tour..

Music performance wise, The Black Smoke Band sound excellent and I look forward to both Chris and Herbie producing more of the same next week on the tour.

I was sceptical about the release as I love the original so much and never tire of it  but I purchased a ticket for the show, which will be my 5th time,  as I love the album and concept....I am pleased I did and can't wait to see it at  Sheffield Arena.....ULLA  !

Gary 

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 29/11/2012 13:51

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 08/01/2013
I like it much more than I thought I would. So back to looking forward to the show now. Once I can get over no Justin or Chris. Love the martian voices like at the end of eve of the war, as a kid this album used to terrify me, and that would have made it worse! I love the new music. I just don't like spirit of man. Joss stone sounds good singing but not the talking bits, sounds odd.

The new dialogue throws me because i am used to talking along with the album haha, but i have nothing against it, apart from the men from mars bit.

Love the end, the problem is of course the humans.

The music reminds me of the remixes sometimes, which isnt a bad thing, war of the worlds are the only remixes i like anyway.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 2 of 6 - 58 messages found « First Page Prev Page Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved