Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds - The New Generation   » The New Generation Album   » General Feedbac...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

General Feedback for the Next Generation album
Author
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Active: 01/12/2018
I am going to play the NEW album tomorrow and I will give my opinion as soon as possible afterwards. I have read mixed reviews on here so I'll have to put those out of my mind when I listen.

All I will say is that IF I don't like it.....I WON'T HOLD BACK!
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 30/11/2012 11:10

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 26/10/2015

Two tracks in so far...  There have been some pleasant surprises.  The clean sound (I mean really clean) is nice.  There some really good ENHANCEMENTS to the overtures as well (loved the Guitar solo at the end of on Horsell Common and the Heat Ray).

A small critique, minor, really, is the Liam Neeson doesn't sound as urgent as Richard Burton (who I can still hear in my head, despite the changes in the narrative) but he is a fine replacement nevertheless...

I'll post some more thoughts as I go further on but so far, so good.

(And I never thought I'd say it Gary Barlow is okay so far in his 'minor' appearance so far... but that said the Martian voices were warmly welcomed!)

"Grotesque gleam of a time no history will ever fully describe!"

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 30/11/2012 11:49

Falzonette
Supreme Being

Active: 28/11/2014
Finished - really liked it. Very good story telling. I wasn't sold on Parson Nathaniel at first, but I didn't like him in the book, so maybe that just makes him ... accurate.

Loved the Artilleryman. I thought Ricky Wilson did a great job. He sounded very young and exuberant, and I loved the extra characterisation he got.

Loved the new material but felt it kept a lot of the strengths of the original
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 30/11/2012 22:33

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 26/10/2015
Finished the album.I really liked a vast majority of the enhancements. I do think however, The Spirit of Man is the weakest link of the New Generation though. Was Joss Stone deliberately trying to be an extra from Albert Square? Maverick Sabre certainly seemed delusional but vocally was a mix between the narrator for the Parson from the Richard Burton sessions and Phil Lynott which really did make me not like the character at all, unlike the deranged performance of Lynott. Liked the reworking on his demise though!

Totally agree with other reviews about Ricky Wilson's Artilleryman - loved the rendering on Brave New World but initally he does seem a bit too cheerful about his experiences on Horsell Common... Not at all like a chap who's just seen all his comrades incinerated by the Martians!

Ah yes, the Martians. Whispering creatures muttering something (do you take milk with your tea?) until the dramatic ending (at which I removed my Sennheiser headphones, things were getting too creepy!)

Still wondering where the extra stuff we were told we would get regarding Carrie should/would have gone. Suspect it would have been in Brave New World... Can anyone throw some light on this?

Overall, a very impressive modernisation, with a very clear eye towards stage delivery.

I won't be at this year's shows... but I do wonder what's going to happen next year...?

"Grotesque gleam of a time no history will ever fully describe!"

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 02/12/2012 15:13

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 26/11/2013

I do have one complaint....the lovey packaging makes it much harder to change cd while driving

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 02/12/2012 18:28
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 01/12/2018
I played the album yesterday. I have to say that it made great listening and I liked the added dialogue, that was certainly different. Ricky Wilson was good, though I have to agree with another member that he sounded "too happy" when he had seen his mates fried by this god-awful heat ray. Good grief I would have been traumatised for life!

But all in all, it was entertaining and that is the important thing. A HUGE WELL DONE to all that was involved!
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 15/12/2012 09:51
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 31/03/2014

Finally got hold of the CD last week-Disappointed I could not buy locally and had to mail order for it!

On first impressions- Love it. Was a little worried it might be TOO rehashed, revamped, reimagined...but I like the way it keeps the vast majority of what made the original great whilst just tweeking and enhancing here n there. I think the new cast do a terrific job as well.

I do agree the weakest link for me was the Spirit of man- Initially- but warmed to it once I got into it.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 15/12/2012 11:20

Falzonette
Supreme Being

Active: 28/11/2014
Hey KiwiMike how frustrating! I think they only had the one at my local JB hifi, so I was pretty lucky! But you have it now, so glad you like it
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 15/12/2012 17:30

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 08/01/2013
Quote: Finally got hold of the CD last week-Disappointed I could not buy locally and had to mail order for it! On first impressions- Love it. Was a little worried it might be TOO rehashed, revamped, reimagi...

I have really tried to like spirit of man but i just cant. joss stones singing voice is nice but the talking, no. and the guy is just awful. I dont like to say anything bad but i cant help it.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 17/12/2012 19:12

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 04/08/2013

I have been following TWoTW online for quite some time and given my feedback on places like facebook too, even though it was negative.

The thought of Jeff Wayne remixing the original double-LP was disturbing. It would never be on the same step as the original, I thought to myself.

Last week I received the CDs and I sat down an took my time to listen to it in my living-room. I played it on my Sony CDP-101 and wasn't surprised at all.

Yes there are two nice additions: firstly the martians voices and the sequence "under water".

But these don't make-up to the other things gone wrong: The artilleryman is talking as if he were on a leisurely stroll through the Surrey countryside, the pasons wife is completely overdoing her singing and the off-beat red-weed made me think that my 30 year-old CD player was jumping. The spoken words were also partly unherable due to the unneccessary overpowering of the music. Why go through the bother of extending the spoken word to the original and then make it hard to hear in the process ?

Besides the music I have also to critisize the artwork. The picture which was used as a teaser, and pre-released (Horsell Commom), let me rethink my negativity towards the new album and made me order it. But it was the only one (next to the thunderchild) which was redesigned. All the others were more-less the same and, if I may say so, done cheaply on a computer. I prefer the painted style of the original which seem of better overall quality.

So the "New Generation" is just another of these TWoTW re-mixes which have been popping up since 1990 and nothing special imho. In my opinion it should have never been released as it is a parody of the original.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 3 of 6 - 58 messages found « First Page Prev Page Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved