Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds - The New Generation   » The New Generation Album   » General Feedbac...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

General Feedback for the Next Generation album
Author

Enigma
Supreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Active: 22/02/2016

Hello Common-Invasion,

What you have expressed is your opinion and not shared by me and many other 'true' Jeff Wayne fans. Not wishing to sound' unfriendly' but I do think, valid as your opinion is for your own expression- some of us do not share that.

Having followed this from day one- i.e 32 years now- I can honestly understand the development and how/why we are where we are today.

Do not forget, TWOTW is getting huge coverage on radio play time- and even in Hong Kong - I am told likewise.

I will take a look at the album chart reading but in all honesty- Jeff does not need to worry.

This album and project 'The New Generation' is going to be around for along time to come in my opinion.

kind regards,

Loxley xxox

Loxley xxx

"I got a plan..."

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 19/12/2012 01:49

Falzonette
Supreme Being

Active: 28/11/2014
I thought Ricky Wilsons performance gave a much better sense of the Artilleryman's youth and naivety - I really liked it. There were things I didn't like about the album, sure. But as others found those bits the most enjoyable, I am willing to write it off as personal taste. It ,may not be to everyone's liking, but that's fine. I know in my house it has sparked a renewal of interest and love of the works in my children who can relate better to this style.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 19/12/2012 06:33
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 31/03/2014

It is interesting to read the difference of views/opinions...it's all good, we're all different and enititled to said opinions. I really like the New Version. Better than the original? No, but still very good IMO and I'll be happy to alternate the listening between the two

There are some that seem to have a strong dislike of this version. I don't see that myself but hey, each to their own and for those that don't like it, you always have the remastered originals!

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 19/12/2012 06:36
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Quote: Hey KiwiMike how frustrating! I think they only had the one at my local JB hifi, so I was pretty lucky! But you have it now, so glad you like it

Yes, I waited for a couple of weeks...I really wanted to just stroll into a local and buy it, but it wasn't to be. Still looking around town, it still isn't there! Might have to ask around for it here in there!

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 19/12/2012 11:52

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 04/08/2013

Hi loxley

" What you have expressed is your opinion and not shared by me and many other 'true' Jeff Wayne fans. "

" Having followed this from day one- i.e 32 years now- I can honestly understand the development and how/why we are where we are today. "

I see myself also as a true Jeff Wayne fan. Just because I am critisizing this new album, it doesn't mean I'm dissing him and his work and hating his guts, lol. I got my copy of the album, from my dad, as a seven-year-old in 1978, when it got first released and I loved it ever since.

My personal opinion is that the album should have been left untouched.  And as for all the other family members who I have given the CD for a listen... I have to say that no-one else really liked it. The people I gave the CD to weren't new to the music. They too have grown-up with the original. My father, who bought the original, and listened to it as often as I have said he would rather hear the original and he wasn't impressed at all.

Back in 1978, when I listened to TWoTW for the first time, I was absolutely hooked to Jean-Michel Jarre. Jeff Wayne and Jean-Michel always stood on one level, when it came to synthesizer music. The new album would never even compete, imho.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 19/12/2012 16:28

Enigma
Supreme Being

Hi Common-invasion,

I can see now where you are coming from- I am real sorry if I sounded out of pitch.

I suppose it is understandable and I do appreciate there will  always be different opinions.

It's just that sometimes I wonder if people prejudge a revamped project too quickly- and maybe perhaps let the music grow as a different slant. 

Having seen the show I thought the New Generation is much stronger than it was.

all good wishes,

Loxley  

Loxley xxx

"I got a plan..."

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 19/12/2012 21:04

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 04/08/2013

Hey Loxley.

The pitch was ok, lol.

I have always given the music a chance. As I have since the first remixes popped-up around 1990. I waited anxiously for the SACD-remixes in 2005 (was logged-in in another forum at that time, forgotten which one though) and really, really liked that. And I waited for the new generation to arrive too.

My personal opinion is that remixing the album, and giving it a similar name to the original was a very bad decision: 

- From now on these two albums will always be compared to another.

- In online-stores it will be hard to do a seperate search.

- It (the new generation) may drag the original down to a lower level of appreciation.

Just my two pence on the topic.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 19/12/2012 21:49

Enigma
Supreme Being

Hi there Common-invasion,

I do understand your feelings -it is a difficult one. To be very honest, I have the CD the lastest CDs for Xmas so have not heard it yet. All I have heard and followed is what's on here and also the show in Brighton on Sunday.

I am now waiting anxiously until I get my sticky Ulla paws on them to have a good listen!

You take care there,

all best Loxley

Loxley xxx

"I got a plan..."

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 20/12/2012 06:25
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Quote: Hi loxley " What you have expressed is your opinion and not shared by me and many other 'true' Jeff Wayne fans. " " Having followed this from day one- i.e 32 years now- I can honestly understand the...

You have taste, my friend! Jarre albums...fantastic

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 20/12/2012 10:53
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 18/06/2013
I just listened to the album and to be honest, I really like the new version too. I like the addition of new text and effects, gripping me the whole time.

I love the way some instruments are more modernized while still keeping the original tunes intact; it's indeed a whole new generation of its own.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 4 of 6 - 58 messages found « First Page Prev Page Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved