Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds - The New Generation   » The New Generation Tour 2012/2013   » on stage?  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

on stage?
Author

Falzonette
Supreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Active: 28/11/2014

Liverpool Echo review

its the only one I have seen as well
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 07/12/2012 13:07

Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 21/11/2013

Finally home after yesterdays show at Wembley Arena... totally overwhelmed.
It was incredible, and although Marti Pellow wasn't as good as Justin Hayward I didn't think he was as bad as some people have said, just maybe his tone isn't quite right.
Will Stapleton has an incredible voice, I mean really really amazing, the last note of thunderchild was just insanely good.
Ricky Wilson, Kerry Ellis and Jason Donovan were all fantastic, I think Jason was actually better as the Parson than the Artilleryman.

Even though I think there were a few sound issues right at the beginning when the strings kicked in (If sounded as though one speaker were louder than the other), it sorted itself out after about a few minutes.

the effects and CGI were also brilliant, even back in row 9 we really felt the heat.

Black Smoke Band are great, loved Chris Speddings little solo (You'll see what I mean) and that when we cheered and applauded the band when they came out Herbie gave us all a wave.

Ulladubulla strings, such a talented bunch of musicians, again, brilliant.

Musically it didn't even feel like the New Generation, it felt as though there were more elements of the original added in. Other than the new narration and a few additions it really did feel like the original.
The hologram was actually visible even though we were on the opposite side of the room but it may vary from venue to venue. It was better to see the Journalist rather than just hear him it really adds to the performance.

And Jeff of course, was just fantastic. I've never seen someone enjoy what they do so much, he looked like he was really having the time of his life up on that stage... even watching him conduct is entertaining

I think I just want to say a huge thank you to everyone involved in this performance... never ever going to forget it after waiting so long to see it live. It was an honour to be there at this mind blowing production.
And thank you Jeff for creating one of the most incredible pieces of music of all time and for a remarkable show...

Anyone going to one of the shows on the tour... you are in for a treat!

Ulla, my pet martian

Ulla decided world domination was a good thing!

And then he caught the flu....the end

December 6th 2012... Wembley Arena, The War Of the Worlds The New Generation, amazing experience
"The tar is not a guitar, it's just a tar but the person that plays it, is the git"- Chris Spedding
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 07/12/2012 13:30
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 04/07/2014

I too attended Wembley last night, and was in the centre block, row 10 (have to see the Dr. re. these burns from the heatray!).

A great show, again, my fourth tour...... I will reserve my comments until after the tour.

My guest thoroughly enjoyed it though she will have to visit the Dr. to get something for the shocks.

Thanks Jeff and everbody.

(got clumped on the head by the lady sitting behind at one stage, but I forgave her as she lives in Woking, and I feel has a cross to bear)

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 07/12/2012 22:56

Enigma
Supreme Being

Active: 22/02/2016

Wow!

I can't wait... roll up 16th Dec for Brighton...

Hope I can sleep at night until then- I am sooooo excited.

all hugs,

Loxley xxoxx

Loxley xxx

"I got a plan..."

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 07/12/2012 22:59
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 21/01/2016
I'm going tomorrow - I cant wait! Unfortunatly I could only get the £40 seats so im right at the back however the show is a spectacle therefore it works from any distance

--------------------------------------------------------

see tripods - check
run from tripods - check
see tripods dying - check
boast about taking 20 out with nothing but a cough - awaiting compleation
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 08/12/2012 20:04
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Quote: I'm going tomorrow - I cant wait! Unfortunatly I could only get the £40 seats so im right at the back however the show is a spectacle therefore it works from any distance

Nah! you won't get the smell of the smoke nor the extremes of temperature - enjoy it.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 08/12/2012 21:11
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 21/01/2016
it's epic so far. at interval

--------------------------------------------------------

see tripods - check
run from tripods - check
see tripods dying - check
boast about taking 20 out with nothing but a cough - awaiting compleation
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 19/12/2012 19:53
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Well as the tour in this country has now finished I will make a comment about the show........

I saw the show at Wembley Arena on the 6th December with a guest who had encountered it before; we were in row ten, in the centre.

Obviously a commercially sensible idea to re-release, with new combatants (cast), and with fresh background rythmns, and some of the current artists on stage elsewhere and in popular groups, in fact Jeff Wayne has used some originally recorded parts, which there was not room enough for on vinyl.
Alas for me, being of the old school, I didn't think it was as good musically, Marti Pellow could not sustain the high notes and was at times just flat both musically and "acting".
The "hologram" effects on stage were very good though the side set views were not impressive, and no more than the previous talking head of Richard Burton, and the narration of the spoken words of the reporter, i.e. Liam Neeson was very different; in fact those side displays were not necessary as they were repeated on the rear screen, the 100' wide CGI screen. The tricks with the glass and the apparent punch were good, if one didn't think too deeply about them.
Some of the lead music arrangements were not actually in tune, though apparently the Wembley show was better co-ordinated and complete as opposed to others, especially the O2.
Kaiser Chief's Ricky Wilson was outstanding in the role of the Artilleryman.
Jason Donovan again masterful, even in this different role of the Parson.
Jettblack's Will Stapleton was allowed to make his part too much of his own and detracted greatly from the storyline/portrayal and was not quite up to the sustained high notes.
Kerry Ellis is pretty good, and the trick of the levitation fooled my guest, and I haven't told her how it was done.
The Martian fighting machine was impressive again, with the heat of the "heat ray" being felt in the tenth row; the explosions did frighten the life out of quite a few members of the audience.
Chris Spedding, Herbie Flowers and Julia Thornton very impressive again.

The whole show is fantastic, spoilt for me by my playing of the album hundreds of times, therefore one note out or a beat too late, it's noticed.

Thankfully, the Martians again were defeated by bacteria; four shows and one would think they would have learnt by now.

I obviously speak just for myself.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 4 of 4 - 38 messages found « First Page Prev Page
Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved