Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds - The New Generation   » The New Generation Tour 2012/2013   » New Generation ...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

New Generation 2012 Tour Disappointing Show!
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Active: 16/12/2012
Went to see the show last night at the o2 arena in Greenwich 15/12/2012........
and was sorry to say very disappointed!
The technical lighting and visual effects were a disappointment, when the ray guns were shooting into the audience from the on screen display the light effects were going the opposite way? Last year if my memory serves me correct, laser lights were used last time and were aimed into the audience and when the screen showed firing it was directed in line with such. The Space ship also moved considerably more then it did last night, although it emitted shooting flames from its front they actually did not fire in line with the flames effects on stage, all disappointing!
At the point in the show when a woman's face appeared on the very very small screen aside the stage which was "Carrie" she appeared to be talking but nothing was heard "was she meant to be heard"? coupled with the poor stage hologram of Liam Neeson who was looking at her and talking and then waiting for what appeared to be her reply or hear at least to hear her voice? but was met with silence! if it had been a live performance from the artists it would have been extremely embarrassing for both, and all around me the audience were saying "why we cannot hear anything from her"? another technical issue I wonder?

As for the artists I am really sorry to say that Marti Pellow, Ricky Wilson & Will Stapleton just did not do it for me! they seem to lack compassion for the song's or indeed the actual show. Marti Pellow & Will Stapleton, just have not got what Justin Hayward & Chris Thompson had, powerful voice's to portray the song's!
Just as last time Jason Donovan was simply a credit to the show, at the end of the show i said to my wife "I bet Jason gets the loudest applause and appreciation" and I was correct the crowd roared and applauded loudly! Whilst Marti Pellow, Kerry Ellis, Ricky Wilson & Will Stapleton raised just a few roars of appreciation.

The music was at its best, although some of the arrangements I must say i preferred the original versions as is the same with the original "War of the Worlds" show.
Sorry Jeff, feel a little let down this time round.

I saw the show last year at Wembly Arena, that had some of the original cast Justin Hayward Jason Donovan & Chris Thompson who are and were a credit to the show. Richard Burton although obviously not in person helped make the show what it was truly meant to be, aww inspiring and with the 3D hologram effect of him it was out of this world!
All in all, maybe the show could do with a little more tweeking, like bringing back some of the original cast and more importantly the Richard Burton effect 3D hologram!
An avid fan since the music and show were first created

I must also say that I when trying to listen when the artists were signing they were a little drowned out by the music, not complaining about the music, but it did over tone the voices at times which made it hard to hear.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 16/12/2012 17:30
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 23/11/2013
Yes there was a technical issue with Carrie last night. This will be easily fixed for the Blu-Ray / DVD release. It was the only hitch of the night - the rest was perfect with lots of technical tricks.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 16/12/2012 19:35

Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 21/11/2013
According to someone, who overheard Jeff talking about the glitch this morning, he hadn't realised that it had even happened until after the show, because the in ear monitor mix had Carrie's voice and the glitch wasn't clear, but the front of house mix sadly wasn't loud enough.

But for a DVD it can be easily fixed

I have to agree about Marti Pellow, for me he was the weakest of the vocalists but then again he isn't Justin Hayward and he should try to be Justin. They have 2 totally different vocal tones and it was refreshing to hear he hadn't tried to copy Justin's version of Forever Autumn and Eve of the War.
The rest of the cast were good, but it's difficult to compare the to the older cast from previous shows since this is the New Generation and like the album the live show has also had a complete make over in cast. I really enjoyed Ricky Wilson, much more than the album version at least.

The music was definitely at its best though when we saw it a week or so ago at Wembley and I agree, Jason Donovan stole the show for me too.

Ulla, my pet martian

Ulla decided world domination was a good thing!

And then he caught the flu....the end

December 6th 2012... Wembley Arena, The War Of the Worlds The New Generation, amazing experience
"The tar is not a guitar, it's just a tar but the person that plays it, is the git"- Chris Spedding
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 22/12/2012 22:02

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 14/05/2016
Quote: Yes there was a technical issue with Carrie last night. This will be easily fixed for the Blu-Ray / DVD release. It was the only hitch of the night - the rest was perfect with lots of technical tr...

That's it! I am forever going to quote you on the "Blu ray/DVD release" bit, there needs to be a release now!

*See fighting machine*
*Turn off footy*
*Pick up phone*
''Honey. Should I quit drinking?''

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 23/12/2012 01:59

Falzonette
Supreme Being

Active: 28/11/2014
its filmed - just gotta wait and find out if we can all get it, or just the UK
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 24/12/2012 10:27

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 30/03/2015

Appologies this is 99% copy and pasted from a reply I put in to another negative review, I have been to most tours (as had others in my party) and I cannot share some of the negativity out there. Yes we miss Richard, yes Justin made that song his own but (now the copy and paste):

This was our 4th visit to the O2 TOTW Alive on stage.

Marti Pellow was better than I expected, I'd read reviews and he'd not come out well. He is on a hiding to nothing as I doubt anyone could come up to the standard of Justin, Justin hade made that song his own.

Ricky Wilson as the artilleryman: Best I've seen

Jason Donovan as the Parson: Excellent, acted the part throughout really looked tormented and sang spot on

Kerry Ellis as Beth: Started a little weak but improved in to the part well and acted well throughout.

Will Stapleton as the voice of humanity: Nailed it.

Liam Neeson: Was good but as with Justin Haywood, Richard Burton made this his own so Liam could never win. Shame about the 1 technical hitch, but it was acted well and Richard couldn't do that! Jeff has explained in length why it had to be re-done.

The sound: The O2 accoustics are rubbish and always have been, I don't know where people were sat but front and centre was as good as ever. If you want a whinge then the strings balance was a little low, but if that's my only complaint...... enough said!

I as a 50+ have lived with the original WOTW since I bought it at release and was very nervous of the New Generation but I have to say it may not be perfect but it also isn't a dissapointment.

lezdix

In the early years of the 21st century WOTW fan affairs were being watched across the enormity of Cyberspace

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 26/12/2012 06:44
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 20/01/2013
I will with hold judgement on Ricky Wilson till i see his live performance.
But in the CD album, i cannot stand him, ever since i heard him, he sounds like a guy with a permanent toothy grin stuck on his face.
And far too chippy chappy.

David Essex= A little lacking, but came across as a traumatized shell shocked young man, later got into the french plonk and in a feverish craze found hope in a delusion of rebuilding society underground.

Alexis James- OH MY.. Panicked, Slightly MAD but strong, he played the part well.
....Bows and arrows against the lightning {turns to the audience} THEY HAVEN'T SEEN THE HEATRAY YET!!!!

Jason Donovan- Haven't seen enough of him kind of like Alexis, even looks similar, didn't like his ad libbed lines.
I know he is an Australian, and no, that's not going to make me more fond of him.
But why is he the Parson now?

As far as Parson goes, Rhydian was a little.. weird, only seen later performances on Youtube vids.
Russel Watson was my favourite, a real trooper to go out on stage in 2006
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 01/01/2013 15:18

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 13/12/2018

When I went to see the show on the 11/12 at SECC, I though Marti Pellow was okay in the part- it did take me a while to realise that he ISN'T doing Justin Hayward (and no one could let's be honest), but instead IMHO was playing it like a Victorian era music hall entertainer...

but at any rate there wasnt any technical faults and I was totally into the new show.

Team Burton
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 01/01/2013 23:36

Falzonette
Supreme Being

Active: 28/11/2014
Good to hear Stu - especially the bit about Marti! The idea of playing the role like a Victorian performer is really interesting. Can I ask what made you think that (I havent seen it)
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 03/01/2013 02:39

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 13/12/2018
It was the way he stood and sung the song- I dont know how to explain it, very 'stand tall' and almost like victorian gentry if you know what I mean. I know Pellow has a good range to his voice but his performance here wasn't what you'd expect from him. If that makes any sense?

Team Burton
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 2 - 11 messages found Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved