Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds - The New Generation   » The New Generation Tour 2012/2013   » BRIGHTON 16TH D...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

BRIGHTON 16TH DECEMBER 2012
Author

Enigma
Supreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Active: 22/02/2016

Well what can I say? Where can I begin and where can I end?

One word, Brilliant!

My partner being a Gemini genius managed to get first row centre and I was so thrilled. The music opening was superb; the music went through my body and reverberated through every muscle! Wow!  

If you are thinking of nodding off there , forget it…percussionists Julia’s thumping drum will ensure you do not miss a thing.

I could see Jeff was thoroughly enjoying himself and I love the way he sweeps the strings into action and waves the two iconic guitarists Chris Spedding and the lovely Herbie Flowers into their element. Timing was to perfection.

Wet Wet Wet star Marti Pellow had a huge challenge taking over the reins of the memorable Moody Blues front man Justin Hayward’s old role as the Sung Thoughts of The Journalist - curiously enough stepping into, not only into Justin’s shoes but also his suit; or so it seems.  His voice, in my opinion is much softer than Justin’s and even from the front I had to strain to hear it as it sometimes got swallowed up by the music for ‘Eve of the War’ and ‘Forever Autumn’. But he did both songs a lot of justice.

‘The Voice of Humanity’ was excellent although his voice again is softer than original singer Chris Thompson’s – but nevertheless he made that role his own.

The roles played by Kaiser Chief front man Ricky Wilson as ‘The Artillery Man’ and with Jason Donovan as 'Parson Nathanial' really proved to be the best I have ever seen. Their acting was very convincing and I could feel the angst and ‘madness’ of the Parson and the ‘hopeless’ hope of the Artillery Man.  But  for me , Ricky Wilson carries the role with a capital  ‘A’ – Wow! He rocks!

The Hologram was fascinating and I loved the little tricks such as passing a drink between The Journalist and the Artillery Man and landing a punch blow on The Parson’s jaw…(That hurt!) how did they do that?  Clever ehhh?

As for the star attraction the huge Martian did it’s best to instil terror into me at the front row and it seemed he teased me every time I moved. Each time I was awarded with friendly lick of flame which just about singed my eyebrows and wig!  Waaaaah!

I should have bought a piece of steak and cooked it on the flame---ah well, maybe next time.

A brilliant show all round…it gets better every time we go to see it- this one really rocked the socks (and wigs) off you!

Hugs and love to all within the show,

Loxley xxoxx

Loxley xxx

"I got a plan..."

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 17/12/2012 11:38

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 08/01/2013
great review!
nice to see some good things being said about marti pellow!
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 17/12/2012 12:24

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 19/09/2014

great review, you obviously enjoyed the show as much as I did !!

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 17/12/2012 13:38

Enigma
Supreme Being

Hi there Gashton,

Where were you sitting?

all hugs,

Loxley xxoxx

Loxley xxx

"I got a plan..."

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 17/12/2012 15:34

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 26/11/2013

I had a great time too. I agree that this show had the best Beth, Parson and Artilleryman of any I have seen. But I did feel Marti Pellow was a weak link. There was something a bit....odd....about his delivery. I guess he was trying to give it his own style rather than doing a more faithful rendition (like Gary Barlow on the album). Not bad, but sadly the other performances eclipsed his. Loved the rock screaming of 'Thunderchild' at the end of the song (now there was a guy who I think was holding a very powerful voice in!!!). The MFM was also on the best form I have seen it; moving a lot in a very menacing way and repeatedly frying us. I love/hate the bit at the end when it flickers back into life and raises itself up ready to fry the NASA man (I wanted to shout 'he's behind you' it almost being panto season).

Mention should also be given to the band and strings who seem to love the score almost as much as the audience.

Amazing improvements to the animation too and the interaction between the hologram and actors was also top notch.

I wish I could go again tonight! There is so much to watch (actors, Jeff, animation, MFM, hologram, Band, strings) that it's impossible not to miss something.

Well done....now when is the next tour? (And how can I get middle or RHS tickets, I need a change from LHS!)

And where can I buy a Union Jack Fighting Machine. Genius. (Hubby said on the way home why not just stick St Georges Flags out of the windows like white van men do?!)

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 17/12/2012 15:41

Falzonette
Supreme Being

Active: 28/11/2014
woo hoo Loxley! Glad you liked it

Vick - NASA guy is Michael - what did you love/hate?
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 17/12/2012 16:49

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 19/09/2014
Quote: Hi there Gashton, Where were you sitting? all hugs, Loxley xxoxx

Hi Loxley, this was my 2nd show on the tour as I went to Sheffield last week......I got some tickets for myself and my daughter that were going spare via a friend who lives in Hove ....they were central but towards the  back on the floor....I have usually sat near the front ( I was on the front row at Sheffield) so the seats allowed me a view of my 6th WOTW show which I haven't seen before......It was great to watch it from distance and get a complete view of everything that was going without anything being obscured as it sometimes can be when you are sat in one of the side blocks.....everything about last night was superb, my daughter also  really enjoyed it, great performances from all on stage and I might be in the minority  but I like Marti's performance but have to say that Ricky and Jason are both fantastic !....and I could still feel the Heat ray from where I was sat !!

Gary 

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 17/12/2012 22:28

Enigma
Supreme Being

That is fantastic Gashton! I really thought this was an amazing show. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I have had such little sleep from last night's travels home after the show-then up at crack of daylight to sort out family and father's care. But the songs in my heart beats with warmth and happiness- What a fab evening!

Thanks to all who made last night a very special time for me and my partner.

all hugs,

Loxley! xxoxx

Loxley xxx

"I got a plan..."

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 20/12/2012 16:09

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 26/11/2013
Quote: woo hoo Loxley! Glad you liked itVick - NASA guy is Michael - what did you love/hate?

I love how it is done, the video, the com links going down, the martian coming back to life and ...well, the end but I hate the way it scares me! Even after 34years Epilogue 2 is the bit that sends bad chills down my spine! Especially this year with the Curiosity Rover!

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 20/12/2012 23:56

Enigma
Supreme Being

Hi Vick,

I would have loved to have met you and also Gashton...next time , let's make a pledge to meet up- if we do Brighton again!

It is very interesting to hear your views...I am sure TWOTW team listen too,

I hope you both have a lovely holiday season,

all hugs, Loxley xxoxx

Loxley xxx

"I got a plan..."

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 2 - 12 messages found Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved