Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds - The New Generation   » The New Generation Tour 2012/2013   » Live on Stage i...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

Live on Stage in Ahoy Rotterdam
Author
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Group: Forum Members
Active: 18/06/2013
Yesterday I went to see The War of the Worlds, Live on Stage in Ahoy, Rotterdam and I absolutely LOVED it!

The CGI movie in the background have been greatly enhanced, making me feel I was also watching a blockbuster movie with the epic music to boot. Will Stapleton did an amazing job while singing the Thunder Child song; he is definitely a worthy successor to Chris Thompson. Ricky Wilson was also doing a good job as the Artilleryman; he simply lived his role well as the traumatized and later on ambitious yet dreaming soldier, wanting to create his Brave New World like in the original album.

I also loved the scene of where Carrie and the Journalist are expressing their mutual concerns for each other during the center part of the show, before the Red Weed sequence started. It gave me a feel that two lovers had been separated, but were determined not to let the other go from their minds. It was brilliant.

Jason Donovan did also well as Parson Nathaniel; he made it look like as if he was borderline insane because of what the Martians had wrought upon the Earth, believing he had failed in protecting the people coming to the church with his beliefs, while the Journalist and Beth (Kerry Ellis) did a great job of convincing him to try it again and that there was something to live, try and even die for.

Marti Pellow did also great in representing the Sung Thoughts of the Journalist in my opinion, it made it feel as if it was drawing me into his mind of what he thought he lost during Forever Autumn.

The MFM on stage was also really epic; seeing it firing its heat-ray made it look as if it really had come to life, ready to incinerate the front row of the audience. At the end, I almost thought he did incinerate the worker from NASA in Epilogue 2; that was really a job well done.

As for other effects, the little, controlled flames in front of the stage was a nice addition during the parts where the Martians were wreaking havoc across the English Landscape. I also remembered the leaves falling during Forever Autumn; that definitely brought back memories to what I saw in the Live on Stage version back in Amsterdam (2009 if I remember correctly).

Regarding the music, I loved the way how they simply modernized the whole piece, yet retaining the original tunes to make it a whole new experience.

Overall, it was really awesome and it was the year long wait (I had the tickets that long in my possession) well worth it.

-------

P.S.: Why wasn't the Tempest of all machines included in the Martian Family seen in the Tour Book?
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 20/12/2012 10:27

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 19/09/2014

Pleased to hear that you enjoyed the show.......In general, although there are points about certain things in the show and performances by senior cast members......The general feeling on the forum is that we  have all welcomed and enjoyed 'The New Generation' both on Cd and watching the show live.......

Let's hope we are all enjoying it again very soon....

Gary 

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 20/12/2012 10:34
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Exactly.

The best way to get a proper review of it is to pretend you have never heard of the original album (which was hard for even me, I freely admit), but overall, I loved every second of it.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 20/12/2012 12:10
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 04/07/2014
oever532, nice write up!
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 20/12/2012 13:02
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thank you.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 21/12/2012 10:11

Enigma
Supreme Being

Active: 22/02/2016

A fantastic review oever532 -wonderful to read how it went in Rotterdam.

I get a real warm glow to read great reviews on this New Generation version...I loved it at Brighton and I can't wait to hear the album. My beloved other half has hidden it and I can't get my sticky paws on it yet...roll on Chrimble Day!!

All hugs to you and thanks for sharing your review.

All hugs,

Loxley xxoxx

Loxley xxx

"I got a plan..."

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 21/12/2012 19:38

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 04/08/2013

" The best way to get a proper review of it is to pretend you have never heard of the original album "

Here we have it. The proof, that the original will always shine and the new CD is as generic as any other re-mix that Jeff Wayne did. Thank-you for the statement, which has not come out of my hand !

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 21/12/2012 20:42
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

No problem at all. We can always keep comparing things to the original, but that's not the real way to get a proper review.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 27/12/2012 16:43
Forum Member
Forum Member

Active: 21/01/2019
Why does my link keep disappearing? Is someone deleting it?

Here is a link to a recording of the Rotterdam show. The sound quality is very good and there are samples to listen to before downloading.

Other shows by Jeff Wayne have been shared there in the past. No officially released material is allowed on the site.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 27/12/2012 16:44

Falzonette
Supreme Being

Active: 28/11/2014
possibly breach of copyright?
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 2 - 13 messages found Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »