Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds   » The Questions & Answers Room   » Martian War Cry  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

Martian War Cry
Author

Group: Forum Members
Active: 09/06/2009
Really sorry about this but what is the correct spelling of the Martina War Cry (Ullah)
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 04/04/2008 16:03

Falzonette
Supreme Being

Active: 28/11/2014

Ulla

Not sure about War cry though. I think it is a distress signal of sorts. Not sure. I went straight to the back of the book whjere I knew there was a reference. It may have occured a few times

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 05/04/2008 00:21

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 12/12/2012

In the book the initial cry (in the Chapter 'In the Storm') is 'Aloo' (no curry jokes please...)

But, through the rest of the book it is 'Ulla'. And that's what Jeff picked up on when he worked on his masterpiece.

Some of us old school 'Ullagans' (and I've run and frequented TWoTW themed websites for quite a few years now) take their cry as possibly multi-purpose. Each individual cry could sound just differently enough to have a meaning that would be lost to human ears. For example: one cry to us is just 'Ulla' but to them it could mean 'pick me up 20 Bensons and a Mars bar when you're getting some milk, please, Overlord'. The next 'Ulla' could mean 'I'll get the drinks in at the blood bank, last one there is a human'. Another could be 'Die Human Scum!'.

They certainly used it in exultation, but also in defeat.

Then again, there are those who think that the Martians could use telepathy as well... but maybe that's overcomplicating things for the purpose of this particular discussion.

-----------------

Le Grand Fromage! (Le New Generation!)

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 05/04/2008 06:20

Falzonette
Supreme Being

"Their peculiar hooting invariably proceeded feeding; it had no modulation, and was , I believe, in no sense a signal, but merely an expiration of air prparatory to the suction operation. I have  certain claim to at leastelementary knowledge of psychology, and in this matter I am convinced - as firmly as I am convinced of anything - that the martians interchanged thoughts without any ohysical intermediation."

Book II Chapter 2.

Reinforcing telepathic theory, and giving you another sound idea. Why were you asking?

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 05/04/2008 07:07

If only i remembered it when the all exultatied at once it would have been easier...Thanks for that

Just curious reason really, i have been a fan of Jeff version since as long as i can remember (prob have something to do with my dad telling me he used to play the album to me when i was 3 years old (He prob had it on earlier that that with me around too)

On a seperate note, does this forum have a media section where users can post videos, last week i Sky+ the live concert an played it to my 8 month old son....and when they cried Ulla, he was clapping...does he not know what side he should be fighting for

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 05/04/2008 11:46

Falzonette
Supreme Being

lol Read the book, he might be right!
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 12/08/2008 16:14

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 19/09/2008
Personally I think that Ulla is always aimed at us, the humans, and not a form of communication between the martians (now why does my spell check think "martian" is wrong but "Ulla" is perfectly OK? Hmmm...).

However, if this is true then that makes the pitiful cry heard in Dead London very interesting...

When the martians attack we hear Ulla very loudly, a war cry aimed at us informing us that they are in charge! Or as Nerfy so subtly put it, "die human scum!". But what of the mournful cry emitted by the dying martian? If Ulla really is them communicating with us and not each other then that may suggest that the dying martian wants help from us, the humans, to stop whatever it is that is killing it {insert mild pity emotion here}. Although I guess it could also mean "how?" or "why?".

Another little theory of mine is that perhaps Ulla is a word used in may ways for many situations. Apologies but the only example I can think of right now is the F-word. We say it when stuff goes right (**** yeah!) when stuff goes wrong (oh ****!) and when stuff confuses us (WTF?). So perhaps its the martian version of that. Hmmm, perhaps I need to substitute the F-word for Ulla from now on?

As you may have already figured I am in a rather bored state at the moment and feel the need to over analyze everything! Haha!

www.trig.com/sarah_b
www.sarahbarker.etsy.com
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 13/08/2008 12:04

Falzonette
Supreme Being

There is a theory that the term Barbarian comes from the Roman idea that any one who can't speak latin just went bababababa. Maybe Ulla isn't one sound. Maybe it means several things, including the sound they make feeding. Maybe there is supposed to be some sort of  UUUla, an occaisional Ullllla and an Ullahhhhh or two depending on the context....

Over thinking things - it's what i do.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 13/08/2008 12:23

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 19/09/2008
Perhaps it isn't a word at all, its just a sound. I mean, we all make various sounds as well as words. We scream, laugh, yawn, murmur etc, so perhaps Ulla is the martian equivalent? Like sick laugher one moment and mournful wailing the next.

www.trig.com/sarah_b
www.sarahbarker.etsy.com
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 13/08/2008 15:24

Wow.....cant believe how much interest this is getting now....this is great

haha....and to think i wanted to know the correct spelling so i could see if i could find it as a message alert....but loving everyones opinions on it
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 3 - 30 messages found Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved