Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds   » The Questions & Answers Room   » A question that...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

A question that's buged me for years
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Active: 13/03/2010

Hi Folks, ive been a member here for many years but this is my first post so hi.

Anyway here is my question, many years ago (at least mid 70s) on a saturday morning i was watching Swap Shop, when Noel Edmunds said weve managed to get a clip of the still in production Animated War of The worlds, and i can still remember it to this day. It showed the reporter in his room writing his account for his paper while in the background the fighting machines strolled across London it was awesome.  But of course it was never finished....What went wrong? i dont know, i think it went the same way as the animated version of Lord of the Rings..Filmed using a very exspensive prossess of filming where actors are filmed then an animator draws over each and every..Very costly, maybe to costly.  If anyone has any further information about what happend, then at last ill be able to put to an end a question that has buged me for so long...Thanks in advance..Gary

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 01/02/2010 05:25

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 30/01/2012
I think the technique you are referring to is called: rotoscoping. For sake of populist references eg those that will be instantly recognizable to people, the technique has been used in A-ha's Take On Me, Sun Always Shines On TV, Train Of Thought, Titan A.E and one of the most recent movies made using this technique was A Scanner Darkly with Keannu Reeves. The Beatles Yellow Submarine's Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds sequence used this method, too. Going to have to disagree with you about Lord Of The Rings (because even without referring to Wikipedia to check on a few things eg was rotoscoping used in the 70s for example, I find it's been around since 1917 I also knew a LOTR animated movie was actually made). So, maybe one of the others can remember this reference from Swap Shop but on the LOTR matter, I don't agree with it not being made as clearly it was; was actually the first feature animation to employ rotoscoping. If that's what you meant by 'went the' of 'Lord of the Rings'. However, if you look in the relevent section on the forum, infrequent updates have been made on the ongoing WOTW CGI movie. Can't help with the 70s reference.

'That didn't pan out'
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 01/02/2010 10:10
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks for the reply Duncan, yea i know lotr was made ( I watched it on beta-max) but as much as people begged for the other books to be made into movies the folk behind the money wouldn't make them as the production cost to much and they didn't make thier money back from the first movie ( shame really as i thought the way it was made added a real nice atmosphere). 
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 01/02/2010 18:05

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 12/12/2012

Welcome to the site, Nightfighter!

There were a few promos made in the 70's. I asked Jeff about it a while back and he said that the BBC did some of them back in the day to show on various shows so they aren't available for viewing. There was also a semi-animated promo (rotoscoped) comissioned, I believe, by CBS (as it was then) which sounds like it could be the one to which you refer.

-----------------

Le Grand Fromage! (Le New Generation!)

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 01/02/2010 19:37

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 30/01/2012
I thought it could have been one of the promos but I wasn't sure; didn't want to get told off later. Was still in primary school, then. I do still remember Posh Paws and Noel Edmunds tank tops/jumpers, also Maggie Philbin and Keith Chegwin and the on location swaps they used to do.

'That didn't pan out'
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 02/02/2010 14:26

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 27/12/2017
Hmmm... I think i remember that for some reason, when I was a kid, we had one of the very early VCRs, and I had my own tape (was such a big thing when you're 5), and every week i used to record Swap Shop and watch Tiswas... I'm sure I can remember it, or at least some promo footage shown.. that tape would be well gone by now, and would have been re recorded on hundreds of times, but if i had a video in those days, who knows, someone, somewhere may have a copy?

I also remember seeing Justin Hayward singing Forever Autumn sitting on a beach that was played a couple of times.. anyone remember that? Also, I remember The David Essex Show where he sang Brave New World on a set that looked like a blown up house. Anyone remember that????
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 03/02/2010 17:04
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

No cant remember essex doing that, and justin was always on in our house ( my uncle was a great Moody Blues fan ) , no i got fed-up with swap shop, couldn't stand Cheggers, so swaped to Tiswas and sally james (Oh Yes) sorry about that is was at that time in my life.

It could of been a promo, but its strange!.. could it really have been the early stages and ideas for the musical War of the Worlds?  My god if it was, then production really has been in the making for a very long time.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 23/03/2010 19:14

Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 21/04/2014
Probably way off the mark and not sure if it's been posted before but does anyone remember this original promo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RbJiTIT2mc
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 03/04/2010 09:57

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 27/12/2017
Wow! I've been looking for that for years! Brilliant find!
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 03/04/2010 15:01

Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 21/04/2014
Cool I'm glad I've managed to help someone out lol

Copy is a bit dodgy but it still packs a punch.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 2 - 13 messages found Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved