Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds   » The Questions & Answers Room   » school performa...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

school performance
Author

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Active: 14/05/2016
'No one selling it on ebay', yes funny that!
And good idea for the heatray, but I have a laser pointer that could come in handy! It is one of those kalaidescope ones, and so i could get a wild laser show playing on the roof! Also, I have a full animation that can be playing on our projector. Theres a pull down screen you see.

*See fighting machine*
*Turn off footy*
*Pick up phone*
''Honey. Should I quit drinking?''
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 10/02/2012 20:10

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Hi guys! Update!

My music teacher gives it great praise, he had never heard of it before me, and he says that he is now dying to get tickets for the new show.

On the performance side of things, he said it was astounding theatrically, but musically could be too difficult to do, and then said 'but no really good!' I haven't the foggiest as to how optimistic he was. Again, we'll see where it goes.

Again, any advice will be welcomed with open arms!

Ta muchly,

*See fighting machine*
*Turn off footy*
*Pick up phone*
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 11/02/2012 01:49

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 07/02/2018
Best start thinking about if you'll have the music live or use backing tracks (which can be obtained as part of the license).

I'm involved in a production here in New Zealand, and due to space constraints (it's being performed in a Planetarium Stardome) backing tracks are being used, with live narration and singing. There will also be a completely new custom animation created which will be projected onto the dome ceiling, and be combined with surround sound and lighting to create a 360 degree experience.

If you do go with live music, be aware that there will be a massive undertaking in Synth Programming! I think there's an option to get samples sent with the scores etc. but that will incur an additional charge.

As far as I know, the instrumentation is 4 keyboards, 3 guitars, bass, drums, percussion and strings; though I think there is conditional permission to re-orchestrate to fit the instrumental forces you have, as long as all melodies, riffs, hooks and suchlike are still present - best to check with Damian and co. on this point before you do anything though!

Brendan Agnew: TWOTW Site Admin and overall Nutter

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 11/02/2012 11:40

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Thank you very much for that info. Again, my music teacher was saying the music is difficult, so when I tell him what the instrumentations are, we could, maybe, try and do a few riffs on different instruments to see how easy or difficult it is.

We are doing another musical at the minute, so if we do decide to do twotw, get everything sorted, it will be late this year we will do it.

*See fighting machine*
*Turn off footy*
*Pick up phone*
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 11/02/2012 22:25
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 21/01/2016
Quote: 'No one selling it on ebay', yes funny that!And good idea for the heatray, but I have a laser pointer that could come in handy! It is one of those kalaidescope ones, and so i could get a wild laser sh...

The laser pointer would need to be a thick beam however if there are people on stage the it would be dangerous to use a laser on them.

--------------------------------------------------------

see tripods - check
run from tripods - check
see tripods dying - check
boast about taking 20 out with nothing but a cough - awaiting compleation
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 12/02/2012 15:16

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

That is true, we (if we do the show, then use a laser pointer) need the actors to train to stand in certain places so the beam will not catch them, like a 'safe zone' if you will. Also, I am smart enough to know, unlike in the 2006 live performance, it is a bad idea for the laser to be used as a heatray amongst the audience.

I think ahead, so I was thinking it could be like the live show, and have the actors on stage during speech or a song, meaning for the rest they are out of danger, with some extras running about during crowd scenes.

Perhaps, the pointer could be shone near the back of the stage, with the performance in the foreground, and the extras running about could disguise the laser hitting the ground in the background by acting in front of it, and fall dead accordingly. If the laser cannot be used as a heatray, it can still show a brilliant display in the roof.

Regarding the thick beam, we could perform in a smoke-filled room to present it, maybe squirt a large amount of fog from a fog machine into the stage area every five, ten minutes.

*See fighting machine*
*Turn off footy*
*Pick up phone*
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 12/02/2012 15:39

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Quote: Best start thinking about if you'll have the music live or use backing tracks (which can be obtained as part of the license).I'm involved in a production here in New Zealand, and due to space constrai...

I think also, the music effects (such as the three whistles at the end of the eve, ) and other
impossible-for-13-to-16-year-olds-to-do will be backing tracks if possible.

*See fighting machine*
*Turn off footy*
*Pick up phone*

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 12/02/2012 18:06

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 07/02/2018
The "Weeown" whistles are synthesizers, so that'd be on the backing track for sure.

Brendan Agnew: TWOTW Site Admin and overall Nutter

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 12/02/2012 18:13

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Right, the 'Weeeoown' noises is exactly what I meant. As well as the 'Droooop, drooooop' noises that sometimes comes after them. I have the live dvd, so I can see what makes the noise, it is a keyboard isn'tt it. And the ulla sounds are done with a voice synthesizer also?

*See fighting machine*
*Turn off footy*
*Pick up phone*
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 12/02/2012 23:24
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 21/01/2016
Strange - I thought the sound was made by creating 3 green smoke rings and two blue fizzly lines

The Ulla (if im not mistaken) is a talk box in conjunction with the synthesizer. May be totally wrong but there we go

--------------------------------------------------------

see tripods - check
run from tripods - check
see tripods dying - check
boast about taking 20 out with nothing but a cough - awaiting compleation
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 3 of 8 - 75 messages found « First Page Prev Page Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved