Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds   » 2005 Re-Promotion   » SACD versus DVD...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

SACD versus DVD-Audio - discuss?
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Active: 05/04/2006
Since watching the fantastic in depth interview in Sound on Sound about the making of the WOTW remix and remastering, I delved deep into Google and started reading about SACD and its advantages and disadvantages over DVD-Audio.

Gaetan Schurrer mentions that although they originally researched working in 192khz PCM for transferring the original analog 2 inch tapes into Pro Tools, it would have limited their ability to mix 48 tracks due to 192 PCM using up so much processing power and disk space.

So they decided on 96khz 24 bit instead. Still a very high res sample rate.

My question is though:

If 24bit 96k was the source material for the mix, then ultimately the mixdowns and stereo masters would /could have been 24/96 also which suggests that DVD-Audio would have been the ideal format to release these remasters on.

I have never heard SACD, and many people say many things about it - to quote another website where Craig Anderson was discussing PCM versus DSD.

'DSD’s dirty little secret: the excessive amount of noise created by one-bit sampling. To disguise it, Sony and Philips implemented a noise-shaping system that shifts noise from the lower frequencies into the ultrasonic range, where it is presumably inaudible (a debatable point in itself, Anderson maintains).'

I know this is a very technical post but I'd be really interested in discussing this - perhaps with others who have heard the new remasters

Are there any plans to release the same remasters on DVD Audio?

Thanks for reading!
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 06/04/2006 19:37

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 16/06/2019
I`ll admit i`ve not heard SA-CD either .. and I work in Electrical Retail, we`ve got plenty of machines set up, but I`m b***ered if I`m bringing in my TWOTW to be ruined at work. Thats why CD-Rs such a good invention. However, at home, I do have a DVD Audio player and 5.1 set up, I have got 2 DVD Audio Discs.. Linkin Park - Reanimation and the last Fleetwood Mac album. I have to admit, the sound quality of both is completely awesome. Linkin Park is done at the mastering stage so you`ve got a clear sound, with surround effects where the FM one is in 5.1 but recorded discreetly, sounding like you`re slap bang in the middle of the studio, drums in one corner, bass in the other, guitar etc in different parts of the room.. plus I believe a higher bit rate than the LP one.

As for TWOTW. You`ll never see it on DVD Audio, simply because Jeff`s on the Sony label, SACD is a Sony product, and they`ll want to keep this one to themselves. I think the stuff on DVD audio is mainly on the Warner labels.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 04/03/2007 16:16

Active: 22/09/2007
i gotta say i've got a few sacd's and a few dvd audio discs and which get played on my sony cinema system (which is compatable) and i think the sacds do have a better sound

Heed my words althought they may seem disturbed/ It's just my world observe for a haze of herb/feel my journey on this earth i observe so much pain and hurt/overstand me like plains and birds/i'm tryna take it to the basics like grains of dirt/grade or mursh or munk turn ya brains berserk/i cant chat tho, i still blaze the herb/but make no mistake mate, i still stay alert/24 7 i grind everyday i work so when i done with this game they can say i murked/but right now blud, i'm trapped on this earths surface where they pay the footballers more than the nurses..

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 04/03/2007 18:23

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 18/11/2011

was the reason i bought a sacd system, this album also have dark side of the moon, and sacred love by sting. wotw is great to listen to in this format with the lights off and the kids in bed. but my dad has just tried to upgrade his cinema system and SACD is no longer available to buy, perhaps this is another BEATMAX system like minidisc was.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN...... WE ARE THE POLICE.. AND WE ARE BACK!!!!

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 18/05/2007 11:19

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 18/05/2007

I recently received the SACD from Amazon and I can tell you that I am in awe of it! It is absolutely fantastic. So good that I am definitely going to see the live show in December. As far as SACD and DVD Audio are concerned, SACD in my opinion is far superior and I have a few of both media but always now look for SACD and have not bought any DVD Audios for about 2 years. So SACD wins everytime in my book.

£5.97 for a double SACD from Amazon.co.uk How can you not buy it!

Intruder

"At dawn, a falling star with a trail of green mist, landed with a flash like summer lightning. This was the second cylinder."

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 1 - 5 messages found
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved