Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds   » 2005 Re-Promotion   » Note from Jeff ...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

Note from Jeff - SA-CD
Author

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Members
Active: 15/11/2019
NOTICE FROM JEFF RE HYBRID SA-CD FORMAT - EITHER ON THE RECENT 2 CD DIGI-PAK, OR CD'S 1 & 2 FROM THE COLLECTORS EDITION.

I have either read, or had passed to me emails from a small number of people who have purchased either of the above two recent productions and complained that the 5.1 Surround Sound mix will not play on their surround sound players.

Because of both the level of disappointment and negative feedback this has caused, and separate from similar explanations that will come from Sony BMG, I wanted to make personal contact to make sure everyone knows how seriously I and our team take these comments.

Having had all the feedback I believe is necessary to understand the technical issues, I think it actually comes down to a straightforward explanation, and this relates to what the sticker ON the packaging and information WITHIN the packages actually states which essentially explains that what the purchaser is buying is a HYBRID SA-CD/CD. This means that what the purchaser is buying are CDs that will play in any CD player but only in stereo. However, if you have a hybrid SA-CD or compatible player, then the 5.1 surround mix will play perfectly. That's why it is called a 'hybrid SACD/CD'.

It will NOT play this 5.1 surround sound mix on any other format player - regretfully. This is currently like the old VHS/BETAMAX issue coming back to life in these new audio formats.

Please try to understand that I and my team didn't spend a number of months mixing TWOTW in this hybrid SA-CD format to upset anyone. For those many purchasers who have heard this particular mix because they do have the appropriate players, the feedback on the quality of this 360 degree audio experience has been nothing short of staggering. I am only sorry that everyone can not simply put it into any surround sound device and hear it.

Considering I've been traveling as far away as New Zealand, Australia and currently in South Africa, I hope this note shows my level of concern. The support for all our new work of TWOTW has been pretty much acclaimed both critically and commercially so to hear of a very small amount of people who feel let down or worse, is most upsetting.

Thank you sincerely for all the support and great feedback you've given to my musical version of TWOTW and the continuing development into new areas that will be most exciting.

With best wishes
Jeff
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 06/07/2005 18:24

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 02/11/2008

Surely this not have nothing in relation about Mr Wayne is talking, but i want to use this post to say something.

I read in a lot of forums and pages looking information about SACD HIBRYD, one of the most repetitive questions was about to copy this kind of disc.

The answer of course, is that the only copy that can do is the "normal" layer because the readers or recorders at pc can't read the SACD layer.

I don't want with this to entry at favour or not with piracy, but what about, for people that not have SACD player, could extract the audio in 5.1 and put it on a normal CD and after play and hear at their HC.

I have CDs with DTS sound and with this is not neccessary a new player.

Obviously, i don't critic with this the choice of Mr Wayne to use this format, i only give something that could be an option.

I bought the collectors edition, i dont have a SACD player, so i know that i could not enjoy the 5.1 version till i buy one.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 06/07/2005 20:35

Forum Member
Forum Member

Active: 23/04/2007

I think it's very cool of Jeff to address this issue. There are plenty of DVD players out there that will play SACD as well as DVD Audio and they're cheap. I don't like the idea of having to purchase a new player just to enjoy a cd, but if high res audio formats are the wave of the future, then maybe we'll just have to bite the bullet. Just make sure you get one that plays formats OTHER than SACD. Sony players I have seen don't, of course. SACD is their baby. The jury is still out on which format will win, but right now SACD's are outselling DVD Audio discs.

Format wars are a headache. I believe Sony is making a mistake, ala the Beta/VHS debacle, as Jeff mentioned. I believe I am correct in my memory that Sony was late in deciding to license the Beta technology to other manufacturers. They wanted the whole enchilada. JVC licensed VHS to basically anyone who wanted to make a VHS machine and it took off because of the benefit of competition (and longer record times). Look what happened to Beta. while it may have been a superior format technically, it never exploded like VHS.

The SACD issue seems to be similar, in that for now Sony is wanting the whole enchilada again, but by no means am I an expert. I'm sure there are many more issues that are invlolved and no doubt many on this forum can add insight.

Bottom line? Go out and get a cheap player that plays both formats. Enjoy WOTW in its 5.1 glory and then further justify the purchase of your new player by getting some other SACD and DVD audio tunes.

This is what I'm telling myself, at least.

...scalded, half blinded and agonized...

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 07/07/2005 00:13

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 07/02/2013

I'm normally quite good with technical things, yet this subject still confuses me.

I can build a PC from scratch but I can't work out what DVD player to buy!

My one and only question is:

Will I get the full effect from ANY SACD player, or do I need a specific type. I.e. if I buy a DVD player with the SACD symbol on it will I get the full effect?

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 07/07/2005 10:27

Active: 12/01/2006

If you buy a DVD player with the SA-CD logo on it you will be able to playback the 5.1 surround sound mix in all it's glory.

Obviously you will also need 5 surround speakers a sub woofer and a 5.1 decoder/amp. Many of the intergrated home theatre kits ility (DVD player/Amp/CD player and tuner all in one box supplied with the 5 speakers and sub) are SA-CD compatible and offer the most affordable way to buy into the hi-definition audio era as you can pick these up from around £250-300 these days.

Of course, if you already have a 5.1 amp and speakers then either by a DVD player with SA-CD compatibility or a stand alone SA-CD player both of which you can now pick-up for around £100.

As an example I've just been onto Comet's (UK Electrical Retailer) website and found the following home theatre kits, with SA-CD compatibility for under £230, click on links below:

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/182_255351.html

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/182_253790.html

Hope this helps.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 07/07/2005 10:49

Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 30/09/2005
I have purchased TWOTW sacd 5.1 mix and was blown away with the quality, the've done a superb job, you are totally immersed within the music and sounds bringing a whole new experiance of a much loved piece, i have been into 5.1 mixes for some time having purchased a dvd player with sacd and dvd-audio ability for £100 at Richer sounds made by Pioneer and listen to such delights as Pink Floyds Dark Side Of The Moon, which once heard in 5.1 you dont go back to plain stereo! So dont delay buy one today and find out what your missing!!!!
biggreenblob
biggreenblob
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 07/07/2005 12:27

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 07/02/2013

Thanks for the info, I will be purchasing an SACD player soon.

I've found an SACD/DVD player with decoder, subwoofer and 5.1 speakers for £99 so I may pick that up next week.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 07/07/2005 13:01

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 22/01/2007
Quote: Thanks for the info, I will be purchasing an SACD player soon. I've found an SACD/DVD player with decoder, subwoofer and 5.1 speakers for £99 so I may pick that up next week.

Read the Surround sound thread as the people there really know what they are talking about!

http://www.thewaroftheworlds.com/messageboard/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=5&MessageID=1355

To take full advantage of the Super-CD you need a super cd player and an amplifier which can decode the super cd infomation. Like I said it's all in the above thread.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 12/07/2005 21:20
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 19/12/2012
Before you buy, note that some dvd players offering SACD support only do so in stereo. There are a number of models from Panasonic, for instance, which offer only this limited version, so be sure to check before you buy!!!
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 13/07/2005 15:03

Active: 24/06/2006
Personally I have enjoyed it as is and am waiting until the PS3 comes out since it is SA-CD and SA-CD hybrid compatible to enjoy this on a whole new level. Nice to hear from Jeff though just goes to show that he cares for his work as well as his fans.

Irish Diplomacy: Telling someone to go to hell in such a way that they actually look forward to the journey.

"Death Is My Weapon, Chaos My Hound. Let Us Hunt."-Industrialite

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 5 - 41 messages found Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved