Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds   » 2005 Re-Promotion   » Note from Jeff ...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

Note from Jeff - SA-CD
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Active: 08/06/2008

I'm new here,  so a big 'hello' to you all.

I have bought two copies of the hybrid SACD/CD 5.1 mix of TWOTW but have had problems with both not playing in surround sound. The first copy I had I could get disc 1 to play in SACD mode occasionally but most of the time it would be ordinary stereo. Disc 2 wouldn't work in SACD at all. It was as though my player would read the disc and 'see' the SACD layer sometimes but not all the time. I took that copy back to the shop and bought another from a different source and neither discs will play in 5.1. The strange thing is I have Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side Of The Moon' on SACD and it works perfectly every time.

Any ideas would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Eddy

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 14/07/2005 03:52
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 09/02/2007

Eddy,

What player and amp are you using? It would be helpful to know.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 14/07/2005 12:57

Active: 23/03/2006

I must say, that although I have enjoyed listening to the the SA-Cds, my equipment a Pioneer DVD player has a slight issue in that it requires the analogue outputrs to be used for SA-CD, however, having listened to the front & rear audio (by changing the leads), I can honestly say that I may have to buy a compatible amp for this - I believe it`s really worth it.

On a different note, some players (mine included) have options to play SA-CDs either byu using the CD Audio, 2 track SA-CD Audio or MULTI-CHANNEL Audio - so I guess what I`m trying to say, is to ensure that your player is configured correctly

Darin (Zol.)

p.s. Cheers Jeff, this really is a great mix, I compared my older CD`s & the difference is immense!

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 14/07/2005 13:34
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Hi

Sorry -I should have mentioned my player in my original post. It is a Sony DAV - S500. All CDs/SACDs I play seem to be automatically read by the player when I insert them which then goes into the appropriate mode. Disc 1 of my original copy of TWOTW would occasionally play in 5.1 but that would be after reinserting the disc several times. Disc 2 wouldn't work in 5.1 at all. I purchased another copy but neither disc will play in 5.1 All other SACDs work just fine.

Thanks

Eddy

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 14/07/2005 17:07
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 09/02/2007

Eddy,

If you still have your owners manual, go to page 45 and follow the instructions. It sounds like your player is having trouble reading the disc. Try selecting the multi-ch option, while in stop mode.

There have been reports, worldwide, of Sony HTIB's having trouble reading some discs. The DAV S500 is among those reported having some problems.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 14/07/2005 18:11
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I have tried your suggestion, but unfortunately there is no multi-ch option with this disc. (There is when I insert The Dark Side Of The Moon SACD.) Like you said, it does look like my player is having problems reading this disc. I don't know if this helps, but when I insert The Dark Side Of The Moon, there is an audible beep and the front display on the player automatically changes to A.F.D. (Auto Format Decode). This doesn't happen with TWOTW. Even manually changing the player to A.F.D. doesn't enable the 5.1. It is frustrating because as I said in my previous post, I did manage to hear disc 1 of TWOTW in all it's 5.1 glory once, so I know what I'm missing!

Thanks once again

Eddy

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 21/07/2005 08:16
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 19/12/2012
Hi Eddy,

This is an interesting problem. You say that 'it occasionally plays in 5.1' - do you mean actually during a track? or do you mean when it goes to a new track on the album. I will await your answer before providing any thoughts.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 21/07/2005 13:45
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Hi

Sorry - I should have explained myself clearer. When I first insert the disc it spins for a few seconds while the player reads it. It then knows which mode to play it in. Ordinary CD's play in stereo and SACD's with 5.1 capablility play in surround. What seems to happen is occasionally the player only 'sees' the stereo layer, not the 5.1. I have since bought yet another copy of TWOTW and am having a little more success. If I open and close the CD drawer repeatedly the player goes into 5.1 mode about 3 times out of 5.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards

Eddy

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 21/07/2005 20:58
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 24/08/2005
Quote: I must say, that although I have enjoyed listening to the the SA-Cds, my equipment a Pioneer DVD player has a slight issue in that it requires the analogue outputrs to be used for SA-CD, however, havi...

I believe (though I am new to this but check the other SACD threads) ALL SACD players output surround in ANALOG. This is an anti-piracy measure.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 25/07/2005 17:55

Forum Member
Forum Member

Active: 09/10/2007

This topic can be rather confusing! I didnt at first know of the 'format war' and I thought that wotw might play on my computers dvd-audio player (as ive never used it before) but obviously it wont!!

Has anyone successfully played it in 5.1 on their computer? Can anyone suggest a good cd/dvd drive for a pc that is SACD compatible??

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 2 of 5 - 41 messages found « First Page Prev Page Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved