Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds   » 2005 Re-Promotion   » Note from Jeff ...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

Note from Jeff - SA-CD
Author
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Active: 19/12/2012
With SACD, the truth about using the analogue outputs is that it provides for greater sonic 'bandwidth' than does either digital or optical outputs. Each separate channel of the music is afforded its' own output and in consequence much more information can be passed through than is the case with the others. Neither optical nor coaxial feeds were ever designed to carry the amount of information that SACD can. However, that's now changing - as of a couple of months ago, Denon launched a new high-end player at about £2000 which is capable (so long as you have the right amp too) of generating the full 'bandwidth' down a single cable. Onkyo I believe have just launched one too. But for the vast majority of users working on a regular budget, the six analogue channel opton with matching amp represents the best value for money option there is.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 24/08/2005 07:18
Forum Member
Forum Member

Active: 17/02/2006
Quote: Surely this not have nothing in relation about Mr Wayne is talking, but i want to use this post to say something. I read in a lot of forums and pages looking information about SACD HIBRYD, one of the...

There exists a dts cd version of the multichannel SACD of WotW.  Somebody converted it.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 07/09/2005 12:50
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 04/11/2005
Is a hybrid DVD/SACD possible? If so, that would have been a nice alternative. I have a top quality DVD player, and a 5 CD multiplayer (with built in recording and MP3 technology) but sadly can't play SACD's. If it was available on DVD with audio and a static image of the album cover I would buy it without hesitation!! Until then, I will hold back a little longer and maybe be forced to look at some SACD players. The thought of the soundtrack in 5.1 fills me with anticipation.
BlackRaven

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 07/09/2005 17:44

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 08/09/2005

A little off track here, but ages ago I posted on here stating how underwhelmed I'd been by the majority of multi-channel SACD's and how I had low expectations for the War of the Worlds (an album that is so close to my heart it's almost a part of me!)

I bought the Special Edition and have to say that having listened to it, every other SACD engineer should hang their heads in shame. TWOTW SACD should be a yardstick of quality for every new release.

It must have been years since any music has given me goosebumps, but listening to the guitar at the start of Forever Autumn had me covered in them!

I only have a modest system: (Pioneer DV-575A to play the discs and a Sony HTDDW860 surround system -  about £350 for the lot!) but it sounds jaw-dropping. I think most people still aren't sure about what kit they need to play the SACD's, but that isn't entirely their fault as most high street retailers don't even know much about SACD as it is. But as I say, for a fairly small amount of money, especially where AV is concerned, people can set up with an entry level kit that will play all kinds of surround loveliness.

As for the album, it just highlights what real musicians with a passion for their work can produce. Jeff and his team deserve all the praise and respect they can get.

Martians love Sheffield Wednesday

www.owlstalk.co.uk

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 15/10/2005 14:05

Active: 27/04/2015

I have to say, i bought the deluxe edition knowing i didnt have a sacd player but i bought one (samsung 945 - plays sacd, dvd audio, dvd, cd, vid cd mp3 the lot and it upscales to hi def!) just to listen to this, aslo had to hunt out my leads to connect dvd player to 5.1 analogue inputs to my amp (dvd dont send it via optical or coax cable) and boy was i blown away.

A whole new experience and Jeff and team i thank you greatly out of this world! Now this can only be bettered by going to the live show in sheffield!

Its worth the upgrade if you dont have it already just to listen to the sacd version alone!

Andy

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 29/10/2005 21:27
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 09/04/2006
Quote: NOTICE FROM JEFF RE HYBRID SA-CD FORMAT - EITHER ON THE RECENT 2 CD DIGI-PAK, OR CD'S 1 & 2 FROM THE COLLECTORS EDITION. I have either read, or had passed to me emails from a small number of people wh...

thats pretty good. im new here and im just getting to grips with stuff.

cant wait till aprill im going to the cardiff gig

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 30/10/2005 23:01
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 20/06/2011
Quote: NOTICE FROM JEFF RE HYBRID SA-CD FORMAT - EITHER ON THE RECENT 2 CD DIGI-PAK, OR CD'S 1 & 2 FROM THE COLLECTORS EDITION. I have either read, or had passed to me emails from a small number of people wh...

Hi i would just like to say that i have been a fan of the war of the worlds since it was first released back in 78 ish im now on my 5th copy of the album the new one that has just been released is superb. Even my mum likes it. i have yet to hear it in the 5.1 surround sound thats not problem as im playing the cds through dolby pro logic and that sounds fine to me.also with the cd's is the original art work book that was with the original album its good to read that again.

kind regards

geoff wheeler

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 15/03/2006 13:04
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 08/12/2010

I recieved my Collectors Edition from Amazon just over a week ago (a pure £39.97 bargin).

I just love the entire package.. Great job.  That is apart from the SACD's.  At the time, I didn't know they don't play on PC based DVD drives.  Alas for me, I only have PC based DVD drives (yeah plural, as one is perm set to R1, the other perm set to R2).

Coupled with this I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS Platinum Pro 7.1 sound card, which outputs 7.1 channels of pure musical energy to ::drum roll:: a Creative T-7700 7.1 speaker system.

Now I know that the real way to play these SACD's is to get a 'proper' player and use the output from that..  But truthfully and honestly, why should I fork out MORE money just to listen to a SACD, when I've got 2 DVD drives, and a fair amount of nifty 7.1 soundness already housed inside my PC.

As a way of comparision I also purchased recently the DVD-A version of Lord Of The Rings - The Fellowship Of The Rings, Complete Film Soundtrack.. And it plays quite happily in my PC, with all the rich surround musical goodness that my 7.1 speakers can provide.

Alas I can't say the same for my WOTW SACD's.  2.0 channels doesn't really cut it anymore.  And as a result I WILL NOT be buying any SACD's (no matter what $ony releases on the format) from now on, because I now know they will not work in my PC.

I know this isn't Jeff's fault, he's @ the mercy of the record label.

And for those reading, I'd just like to point out, THIS IS NOT A PIRACY ISSUE.  I'm on my 3rd copy of WOTW's now.  I'm all for protecting content, but there has to be a balance between protection, and being able to actually play the product @ a time and place of *MY* choosing.

Sorry if this comes across as a rant, it's not intended as such.

But I will be looking forward to a DVD-A version of WOTW, so I can (finally) hear it in Surround as Jeff intended.

--

Paul

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 17/04/2006 20:46

Active: 17/06/2006
I have to say that if you are only listening to even DVD-A on your computer, you are missing a huge quality jump.

A dedicated CACD/DVD-A DVD player with quality components married to a Multi Channel amplifier will blow your mind compared to speakers even 7.1 ones on a computer.
SACD remember, is NOT a DVD format, but a CD format, wheras DVD-A is DVD based.
I have discs in the three formats, Cd DTs, DVD-A and SACD, the quality of all three blows Stereo away. Listening to Fleetwood Macs Rumours, or Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Stings Brand New day, The Eagles Hotel california or WOTW, you would not want to listen to them on normal Cd or non audio hi fi systems ever again.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 21/11/2006 21:52
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 30/01/2007
I got the SACD version off ebay today and although I don't have a SACD player, I am still blown away by this version. I think it is the best I have heard, the sounds are crisper, fuller and more alive. I cannot even begin to imagine what it would be like in proper surround sound.

I will buy a player, when they are at a more affordable price.

Note: I have a Sony STRDE 495 surround sound system. Will this be compatible with an SACD player or does this need upgrading too?

And another poster stated there is a DTS version availale after someone converted it. ANy ideas where this might be available from?
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 3 of 5 - 41 messages found « First Page Prev Page Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved