Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds   » 2005 Re-Promotion   » SACD Q & A's - ...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

SACD Q & A's - for all those new to the format
Author
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Active: 19/12/2012
Hi all,

In response to the fact that there are a great many people out there, it seems, curious about SACD thanks to Jeff wayne's new version, I thought it might be helpful to establish a new thread for the purpose of tackling those queries you might have. I suggest that if everyone posts their SACD related query here, over a period of time we should between us end up with a reasonably accurate overview of the medium, to the benefit of everyone. I myself am reasonably 'in the know' about the format, as I'm sure many others are, and I'm also sure that, like me, they'd be only too willing to step forward and help out.

To start then, here's a couple of websites that can provide you with a decent overview of all things SACD....
http://www.superaudio-cd.com/
http://www.sa-cd.net/
http://www.highfidelityreview.com/

All of these websites share the common feature that they are easily 'consumer accessable', which is to say, are written up in a clear non-techy language that helps clarify what SACD is and why it works.SA-CD.net is one I'd particularly recommend for new users, since the bulk of its' reviewers are 'ordinary' domestic consumers - people like you and I - and therefore are largely honestly accurate and hyperbole-free.

SACD is not without its' detractors, however: In theory, DVD-Audio should be able to supply a higher fidelity signal at the upper end of the frequency range, though in practice this has not yet been really acheived on a noticeable level by any releases. In addition to DVD-Audio, DTS-Audio should also be mentioned. This is a format that will play on any dts-capable dvd player, and also produces really excellent results. A good example would be 'On Air' by Alan Parsons.

So, at the moment, there are 3 main multi-channel audio music sources, but of these, SACD is the best-supported in terms of new releases. Because of the competitive nature of the industry, most Sony players do not support DVD-Audio, but there are many brands that do.

I know that there are some of you who are 'right at the beginning' with all this stuff, and in that case you should start with the following questions:
1. how much do I want to spend on a player?
2. Do I want the player to also play DVD's?
3. Do I want a player that plays ALL surround formats?
4. Do I want an all-in-one system, or just a player?
5. Do I want a separate amp and speakers?

All in all, this is probably as far as I can go right now, in the absence of specific questions, but roll them in and we'll see what we can do.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 20/05/2005 00:05
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 09/02/2007

Good post!

I have been involved with DVD-A and SACD since their beginning. I will also help with any questions that arise.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 20/05/2005 13:58

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 23/09/2009
Removed sucky idea.

Ste.

The artist formally known as Slick2097

Read my blog
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 21/05/2005 19:23

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 23/09/2009
Removed Slick's sucky post about sucky idea that was removed.. I admit it.. I was bored.
EvilNerfherder.

The artist formally known as Slick2097

Read my blog
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 10/06/2005 22:07

Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 29/06/2005

Now that the actual SACD is upon us i hope we can ressurrect this topic. I bought a player ages ago to go with my SACD of Dark Side Of The Moon. Of course at that stage i didn't realise it wasn't just a case of cabling up to my Dolby 5.1 Decoder and enjoying surround. As a result i've never followed up on the format. Until Now!!!!

I'm just about to move home and i'm eagerly awaiting delivery of my Collectors box. Can any of you tell me where to go next. Ca i just buy a Dolby Digital 5.1 Reciever/amp hook all the cables from my SACD player (Philips 763SA), link the right speakers and get what i need. I'm not too concerned with high end at this stage and would just like to dip my toe in the water.

Any help gratefully received.

Basil Brush had a hand in it!!!!!!
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 10/06/2005 23:43

Active: 14/11/2006

If your DVD player has 6 channel outputs and your amp has the same corresponding inputs then yes you can do this.

SACD surround info is usually only carried using these type of connectors (which are usually phone style connectors).

So, you should connect your centre out on your DVD player to the centre in on the amp and so on...

Hope this helps.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 11/06/2005 11:04

Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Perfect mikehadfield, thank you very much. I will make a wee trip to a certain HiFi outlet and grab a cheapie amp. I have plenty of pairs of speakers floating round the house so i can give this a test before jumping in too deep.

Do you have many SACD's, is the format worth it?

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 11/06/2005 20:33
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 24/08/2005
OK I am totally in the dark.

I want to buy te collectors edition, I want to here it in surround. I have a surround system, dvd and cd players but have never heard of SACD. How do I find out if my gear is compatible?

Would there be "SACD" logos on the receiver / amp as well as the cd players or not necessarily?

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 11/06/2005 23:43

Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Yes Rob, there should be logo. Check this link www.sonymusic.com/sacd

Dolby 5.1 and SACD are two different things. I think tere are systems available wher an optical link carrys the signal from SACD player to amp. In other cases you need a seperate phono cable from player to amp for the front speakers, another phono for rears another for centre, another for sub.

This is where my dilema lies at the moment. I have the player and i have a dolby 5.1 decoder and speakers but they arent compatible. I'm going to need a new amp and speakers. Thats why i dont want to spend a fortune.

See also forum topic The New 5.1 Surround Mix

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 12/06/2005 04:43
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 09/02/2007
SACD and DVD-Audio cannot be transmitted through an optical connection or a digital coaxial connection. They do not have enough bandwith. There are a few high end companies that have proprietary digital connections that will pass some hi-res audio. At the moment, most require that the player process the SACD content and pass it on to the amp, via the 5.1 analog outputs to the amp's 5.1 analog inputs.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 2 - 14 messages found Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved