Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds   » CGI Animated Feature Film   » the war of the ...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

the war of the worlds 2
Author

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 12/12/2012

'Edison's Conquest of Mars', 'Scarlet Traces', 'The Space Machine' and 'Global Dispatches' are the only ones that are really any good. And I've read pretty much all of them.

Most of the others, ratrher than follow on from the story, uproot the story out of it's timebase or tinker with it too much, like 'The Second War of the Worlds'.

With any luck, there may be a proper sequel novel released in the future that I would be more inclined to recommend. 

-----------------

Le Grand Fromage! (Le New Generation!)

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 12/12/2007 10:51

Falzonette
Supreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Active: 28/11/2014

I hate sequels written by different authors. They seem to miss the point of the original, or have a different style. And generally have the feel of a money spinner.

I think that having them return here would be difficult. i think the point is... with all our technology we didn't defeat them. It was a new technological age and it lost. The only reason we survived was the superiority of the natural world. Not the might or wisdom of man. If they invaded again, we would have to assume that their technology was again capable of outstripping ours and for them to be defeated by a third agent again. Not disease again, obviously, they would have learnt from that, but what? I really don't know

Hmmmm..... seem to have thrown up on the twenty word rule again! sorry

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 12/12/2007 15:24
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 04/08/2009
Quote: I hate sequels written by different authors. They seem to miss the point of the original, or have a different style. And generally have the feel of a money spinner. I think that having them return he...

True the story would have a different style of writing, yet that may not be a bad thing, after all we had remakes of TV shows that have been brought up to date and worked will others should of never seen the day.

I have given it some thought main being we attack them on their own planet which has already been done.

Or indeed the Aliens launch again just what would stop them this time, another alien race, we loose and force underground stuggling not only against the aliens but against ourselfs with limited resouces?

"Sequal worh reading" them are some big shoes to fill, someone thats able to carry on the story which has never since gone out of print.

Finally just who does own The War of the Worlds copyright at present Jeff Wayne or paranmount? PM answer please

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 13/12/2007 15:18

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Active: 12/12/2012

Sequels can, if done properly and with the right intent, be tributes or respectful continuations of the work, rather than cash-ins. Certainly my attempt, should it ever see the light of day (not counting the bits I have posted elsewhere), will, I hope, be seen as such.

'The Space Machine' is a good example of this. Christopher Priests love of the original story and grasp of the Victorian style of writing shine through, I think. In fact his book runs sort of parallel to the original and it's a good read.

'Global Dispatches' is spotty. Without 'outing' any particular authors involved in it, some stories in it are good because they show respect, others are not so good.

Writing in the Victorian way and mindset and making it relevant, not only for fans of the original but also the general reader of today, isn't easy.. I know. Not everyone likes Victorian fiction these days, so you have to make it a viable concept for the publishers as well. After all, they are putting their money on it and want to sell some copies! 

-----------------

Le Grand Fromage! (Le New Generation!)

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 15/03/2008 22:20
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 15/03/2008

There was a sequal to the original 1953 film, it starred characters from the TV series and had the martians taking over human bodies in order to get back to their ships.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0744059/

and there's a new one in production as we speak

war of the worlds 2 the next wave is a sequal to the widely unkown 2005 version of war of the worlds created by Asylum films.

http://www.theasylum.cc/product.php?id=141

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 15/03/2008 22:47

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 30/01/2012
Asylums version was known as 'Invasion' in the US ... is available on DVD ... and has been aired on Horror Channel in the UK, amongst others. As to a 'sequel' ... think I'll skip that thanks.

'That didn't pan out'
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 02/09/2008 02:02

Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 23/06/2011
This brings up an interesting point. In one spinoff or something there was a bit that said that the Martians eventually conquered Venus, so a sequael wouldn't be needed. I don't know how accurate this was, however, I only read this off an internet article or something.

"A fifth machine appeared on the far bank, it raised itself to full height, flourished the funnel high in the air and the ghostly, terrible heat ray struck the town. As it struck, all five fighting machines exulted, emitting deafening howls which roared like thunder."

ULLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God, this album is so cool!

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 02/09/2008 04:43

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Active: 16/05/2017
in the book itself, it is implied that the martians have landed on and colonized Venus, as there was communication between the two planets

Brendan Agnew: TWOTW Site Admin and overall Nutter

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 04/09/2008 00:42

Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 23/06/2011
Thats right, now I remember.

"A fifth machine appeared on the far bank, it raised itself to full height, flourished the funnel high in the air and the ghostly, terrible heat ray struck the town. As it struck, all five fighting machines exulted, emitting deafening howls which roared like thunder."

ULLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God, this album is so cool!

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 26/02/2009 16:19
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 15/07/2009
war of the worlds 2?

it happened in marvels kill raven in 2001
they had no aftereffects of the bacteria and destroyed the nukes in a single blow.men were used as slaves in gladiator fights, women as deathbreeders,only one hero emerged from the chaos called Kill raven

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killraven

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 2 of 3 - 24 messages found « First Page Prev Page Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved