Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds   » Memories   » what came first...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

what came first?
Author

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Active: 19/09/2008
Who here actually read the book first? And who listened to the musical first? Actually, it would be interesting if anyone here became fans after seeing the latest movie.
For me the musical came first, then the book, then the movie (I've only ever seen half of the 50's movie so that dosen't count. Didn't like it anyway...) but I'm really curious to know how people got into the whole twotw thing (well those who ain't already admitted to going through their parents stuff and finding a copy lol)
And lets have a vote as to which is the best teling of the story: movie or musical?

I say musical. The movie was good but nothing beats The Eve of the War. Nothing!

Sky x

ps. ok so a lot of you have already posted your first twotw memories but I'd really like to know how many people here actually read the book first, if at all. Anyone here never even read it??www.trig.com/sarah_b
www.sarahbarker.etsy.com
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 28/11/2005 11:06

Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 05/01/2006
Hey Sky, that's a good question.

My first experience with war of the worlds was actually the 1998 video game when it was first released, my dad bought it for me as a give. As soon as I played the martian scenario and saw the tripod for the first time I was addicted, soon after I read the book then saw the 1953 film. For four years I had known of Spielbergs film before it came out, didn't live up to expectations tho but at least the tripods were cool .

Bought Jeff Waynes new album last week and it's great, in the middle of playing the game as well too.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 28/11/2005 11:10

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 19/09/2008
I've never played the game myself, but I've heard it's pretty good.
I see you're a newbie...welcome filocardhustler!www.trig.com/sarah_b
www.sarahbarker.etsy.com
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 28/11/2005 14:19

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 12/12/2012

Put me down as an album listener.

Thanks to Jeff, 'The War of The Worlds' is a big part of my life as I spend a lot of free time helping run this and another WotW themed website...

Some days I don't know whether to thank him or not...

-----------------

Le Grand Fromage! (Le New Generation!)

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 28/11/2005 18:02

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 29/06/2013

I first read the book when I was about eleven, a couple of years before the album came out.

I've still got my first ever copy of the novel (Heinemann) but it's looking a bit tatty now. I have extra, newer copies for reading and reference, and for the different cover illustrations.

In short that's one book vote.

"And as it flew it rained down custard upon the land"
Image hosted by Photobucket.com www.makepovertyhistory.org Image hosted by Photobucket.com
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 28/11/2005 18:14

Tripod Pilot
Supreme Being

Active: 25/02/2018

well heres a timeline for what happened for me

1st listened to the album when i was 5/6 or 7

2nd saw 3/4 (thats three quaters) of the 1953 george pal film

3rd heard about the new SS film and listened to the album again a few thousand times

4th saw the SS film

5th read the book

6th saw the rest of the 1953 film

7th went to jeff wayne concert on 27th april 2006

hey wait a minute...november 14th uh-oh wrong time line going back

........................................zip.........................................

As it struck, all five fighting machines exsulted, emmiting deafening howls which roared like thunder. ULLAAA!! ULLAAA!!
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 29/11/2005 09:23

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 19/06/2007
i listened to the musical first, then read the book, then saw the SS film (but missed the first half hour )
"look! there they are! what did i tell you!"
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 29/11/2005 16:40

Tripod Pilot
Supreme Being

Active: 25/02/2018
dude? how long do you take buying popcorn?

As it struck, all five fighting machines exsulted, emmiting deafening howls which roared like thunder. ULLAAA!! ULLAAA!!
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 30/11/2005 15:05

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 19/06/2007

lol 

i was late for the showing

"look! there they are! what did i tell you!"
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 20/12/2005 19:14

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 18/11/2011

I heard the musical first when I was about 10 years old and read the book for the first time when I was 13.

I do think that the musical was a pre-requisite to the reading of the book.  The horror and anxiety one can feel during the musical urged me to read the book to see if there was a visual effect as well as an auditory one.

...and slowly and surely, they drew their plans against us

-BWFUK-

The world's number 1 WOTW fan

www.eveofthewar.com

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 5 - 48 messages found Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved