Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds   » Memories   » what came first...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

what came first?
Author

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Active: 05/09/2011
album for me

Ogivily called me on my mobile and said had to see what landed at Horsell Common

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 20/12/2005 20:29

Mother of All Martians
Supreme Being

Active: 14/01/2006
It was the album for me as well, I didnt know that there was a book straight away, but once I found out, I read it, and it definately lived up to the expectations from listening to the album. The martians were just as terrifying as the album. I have obviously read the book a lot of times since. I have grown up with 2 brothers though, who are younger than me, and no sisters, so i was very much attracted to anything sci-fi from the off, so it was no surprise that I wanted to read the book, really. lol.
Few men even considered the possibility of life on other planets, and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to our own regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely, they drew their plans against us...

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 25/12/2005 13:57
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 08/09/2013
I heard the music version first when I was very young, and it scared the living hell outta me. I only read the book for the first time when I was 15, saw the George Pal movie for the first time when I was about 17, and saw the SS movie during the summer (didn't like the new movie at first, but it's slowly growing on me)
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 25/12/2005 15:38

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 26/10/2015

Sky,

Well, back before Christmas 1978 I think came the musical - a present for my Dad from Mum...

I read the book 13 years or so later.  Somewhere inbetween I think I saw the movie.

And here we are.  Christmas, 2005.  And as much as I hate saying this,the Spielberg movie IS growing on me too.

Martin

"Grotesque gleam of a time no history will ever fully describe!"

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 29/12/2005 23:07

Tripod Pilot
Supreme Being

Active: 25/02/2018
so much infact he wants the jacket style cruise was wearing

As it struck, all five fighting machines exsulted, emmiting deafening howls which roared like thunder. ULLAAA!! ULLAAA!!
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 30/12/2005 00:52

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 12/12/2012
Not the actual one. The real one has people-dust and stuff on it.

-----------------

Le Grand Fromage! (Le New Generation!)

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 30/12/2005 13:21

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 20/05/2011

I also heard the album first - when I was about 7 - and have been hooked ever since.

Luperis

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 22/02/2006 20:51

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 23/08/2013

I also heard the album first- about 15 years or so ago, and only read the book for the first time last year. Each time I read the book, I can hear Richard Burton's voice in many parts of it. It was the release of the ss film that re-ignited my interest in WOTW and prompted me to find the book (second hand on e-bay). I've only really become a BIG fan of WOTW since discovering this fantastic site, and then gone on to buy the collector's edition. I haven't looked back since!

Kevin

".....the Red Weed began to creep like a slimy red animal across the land, it's living scarlet feelers crawling, crawling!"

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 22/02/2006 21:41

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 23/08/2013

Also got (on e-bay) "The Complete WOTW" which includes a cd of Orson Welles' panic radio broadcast of 1938. This book also has the HG novel, plus the interesting Warwick Goble illustrations- all this for me started with JW's musical version!

Kevin.

".....the Red Weed began to creep like a slimy red animal across the land, it's living scarlet feelers crawling, crawling!"

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 16/07/2007 21:21
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Active: 05/11/2012

For me this happened in the THE WAR OF THE WORLDS timeline

1. Listened to the 1978 Album

2. Saw the 1953 Movie

3. Read the H.G Wells Classic Novel

4. Was Dissapointed With The Steven Spielberg Movie Version

5. Experienced The Live Version Of Jeff Waynes Classic Masterpiece (albeit through the dvd version)

ULLA

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 2 of 5 - 48 messages found « First Page Prev Page Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved