Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds   » Memories   » what came first...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

what came first?
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Group: Forum Members
Active: 12/03/2009
musical first, grew up with it my mum and dad has the album. really liked the book, bought it a couple of years age and its almost worn out.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 15/01/2008 18:08

Tardis Pilot
Supreme Being

Active: 13/01/2015

i listened to the almum firstand then got given the book

2xr :

"a thing that looks like a Police box standing in a Junkyard it can travel anywere in time and space."

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 14/02/2008 21:09

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 21/07/2011

I read the book first. Reading it, I had these scary, blurry and unclear pictures in my head of the different lines in the story... I still have my first copy.. Paperback.. Worn and with loose pages...

Then my brother presented me to album in the late 70'ies.. 1978 or 1979 I guess... Suddently the book had a soundtrack, and i remember browsing the paintings in the inlay for about a 1000 times.. I am sure they were part of some of my nightmares at that time too... But now there were pictures to go with the book as well..

I then saw the old 50'ies movie.. On german television.. Dubbed.. (we only had one channel in Denmark then)... And found it utterly rediculous!

I saw the Spielberg film as well recently, and I am still not sure... If I was a producer/director with access to the budget of the film, I would have been more true/close to the book by HGW.. Which in my humble oppinion would have made a better movie.. But I know it was scary enough though....

Then the show (on DVD), which I stumpled upon by accident.. Did not know of its existence.. When I saw the show was being run in the UK in 2007, I did not hesitate a second to buy tickets, book plane and hotel...!

drumsdk

“He may talk like an idiot, and look like an idiot, but don’t let that fool you: he really is an idiot.”

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 01/08/2008 13:38

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 19/09/2008
I must admit, its nice to have a voice to match up to the words. When I read the book, I had Richard Burton's voice in my head reciting it to me. Just like my recent reading of The Crow original comic, I had Brandon Lee's voice in my head. So hearing the musical first made reading the book even better.

I made the rather ghastly mistake of reading the book right before retiring to bed. I was on holiday at the time and read it on the beach, in the car...fine and good. Last thing at night? Don't try that at home kids.

www.trig.com/sarah_b
www.sarahbarker.etsy.com
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 02/08/2008 10:17

Falzonette
Supreme Being

Active: 28/11/2014

(Think I have told this story before, but....)

For me, it was my big sister, a dodgy old tape deck, and mum being out for the night. My sister said I had to hear this tape she had borrowed from a friend.  I was 13(ish) and terrified! when the musical was announced for my small home town, I wanted to see it, remembering how powerful it was (and having a slight crush on the guy playing the Artilleryman) so I asked some friends to come with me. I ahd made a few abortive attempts to read the book, but had never really made it past the unscrewing of the lid.

The girls loved it. I ended up picking up a copy of the album for one of them and I have read the book all the way through. I have a WotW ring tone and screen saver. I have a friend at work who stops by to talk Jeff Wayne every now and then and sometimes end up in another friends office playing a quick game of "If you had a MFM right now what would you blow up first..."

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 12/10/2008 19:43

Active: 21/06/2010

hi..

im a wotw virgin. I have been aware of it, heard snippits here and there over the years, but thats all. I was discussing it with my husband he was saying how he used to have the tape when he was younger. So i ordered the remastered cd about 6 mths ago.

The power of it was so incredible it takes my breath away with every listen, since then i have been hooked! I love the album with a passion, then bought the dvd of the live show, then tried reading the book (failed, will try again soon).

So i suppose the short story is the album came first

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 13/10/2008 12:05

Falzonette
Supreme Being

If you ever get the chance, titch, complete the experience - see the live show.WOW
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 13/10/2008 12:42

Active: 21/06/2010
Quote: If you ever get the chance, titch, complete the experience - see the live show.WOW

booked tickets for me and my hubby to see it next year in Manchester...sooooooooooooo excited

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 13/10/2008 13:46

Falzonette
Supreme Being

Im sooooooooooooooo glad. lol

You will have a great time

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 17/10/2008 19:15

Active: 28/05/2009

I listened to the album first at school and was hooked instantly.

I've watch the 1950's film, thought it was ok

I don't like WOTW with Tom Cruise in it.

I love the Live version of the musical, couldn't get tickets last year but watched it Boxing day 2007 on Sky, I'm hoping to see it in person one day.

I haven't read the book yet.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 4 of 5 - 48 messages found « First Page Prev Page Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved