Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds   » Memories   » what came first...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

what came first?
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Active: 26/10/2008
Hi, this is my first post here ...

I have to admit, I've only recently discovered the musical, but I've been a fan of the book for many years now. Shortly after I read the book I listened to the 1938 radio broadcast (my dad has a pretty big collection of old radio dramas, so we had that already) and was very impressed -- and I'm afraid that, when I read the book, I still hear Orson Welles as the narrator. Then came the 2005 movie -- it didn't meet my expectations but I still rather liked it (I still haven't seen the '53 film) . Two years ago I discovered the WKBW broadcast, which I quite like, and then I found the musical. Not being around when it first came out, and coming from a family that mostly listened to classical music, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I must say -- I'm impressed, I really like it.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 23/10/2008 07:39
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 23/11/2017

i lifted this from my first post on the tomcruise film section but it fit here really well :-

i remember falling in love with the story when i saw the '50s film aged 11 (missed half of it ) and then i read the book (repeatedly) and bought the album when it came out, played it to death, bought a second copy and a cassette (remember them?) of it for the car, then bought the cd when i got a cd player, lost that when i got divorced so bought another copy, then bought the collectors edition, then discovered the dvd of the stage show which i didn't know about and then waited and prayed for another tour and then bought my tickets for manchester as soon as they were anounced. (forgot, i bought a copy of the '50s film somewhere in the middle of all this)

p.s. i bought the tom cruise version on dvd after seeing it on sky having avoided it in the cinema.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 23/10/2008 10:41

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 17/12/2012

the chicken came first LMAO...

i was an album listener before i was a book reader...

WHY SO SERIOUS?

Wii Number
0906 7050 1201 7825
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 19/03/2009 17:37

Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 03/05/2013
I've heard the Musical Version first, when i was about 3 or 5 years...
then, with 10, i've got my first CD - Player and with a special gift - the CD Version of JW Musical (imported from england by my grandparents).

A few years later, i saw one part of the US-series, based on the 1950's filmproduction.
After i have found out, that this was a series, i searched for the original film and found it in a "british-shop" here in germany.

then i have found the computergame in a prospect - and of course - it was a "must have".

Then came the Film of Steven Spielberg and the new releases of the musical version - and NOW - the liveshow

CChris
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 02/04/2009 06:34

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 21/10/2009

Hey! How's it going peoples?

When I was 10 I first tried to read it (Cos I was a little book worm)... But being 10 I didn't understand it but I did kinda get the story...

So when my English teacher showed Speildbergs version I knew that it wasn't right, read the book and then found Jeff Wayne's work and now I am in love with it^^

That's my story anyway...

The ancient red dust glows in the dim light,
Our cities stand tall and reek of might.
We are the people of Mars.
Set to conquer the stars.

ULLA!

Visit --> http://dalekavion.deviantart.com/ to view my War of the Worlds Concept art including Jeff Wayne Tripods squaring up with the inferior (but cool looking) Speilberg Tripods.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 19/05/2011 16:08

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 19/05/2011
Heard the musical, watched the '53 and '05 films, and then read the book.

Das KannonMann

"Look! There they are!"

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 13/11/2011 11:34
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 30/03/2019
i saw the 1950's film as a child and loved it, i knew of Jeff Wayne because of his work with David Essex and when i heard that he was doing a musical version of War of the worlds that had David on it, as well as Julie Covington, Phil Lynott and Justin Hayward well what can i say? couldn't believe what i was hearing, KNEW it would be brilliant, eagerly awaited it and probably bought one of the first copies released as i was straight to the record shop to buy it on release. played it over and over and over, bought tapes for the car and DVD versions when they came out. never read the book, have read some of it on line but not the whole book, really shoud do so shouldn't I? looked forward to seeing SS film which i did at first opportunity, what a dissapointment, hated it. finally got to see the live show in December 2010, and can't wait to go again,
so for me it was
1950's film,
War of the Worlds LP,
SS film,
Live show

oh and recent additions to my collection have been teh dvd of the musical and last year my mothers day present was the collectors edition with all the dvds in it that includes the orson wells radio broadcast and the out takes, brilliant!
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 21/11/2011 16:52

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 14/05/2016
For me, I:
1.Heard the music when I was 4-6: Tick
2.Got the 1953 film for Christmas at 8-9: Tick
3.Dad got the 2005 film same Christmas (I kinda thievered it from him!)Tick
4.Listened to music more and more: Tick
5.Went to live show on 5th December at 13 for b-day in 2010: Tick
6.Now decided to read the book over and over: Tick
7.And now reading ALL H.G's books now... Tick

SOOOOOOOO....

What else now, but to acquire rights to perform it at school: Awaiting completion.

(I know, I'm sad!)

*See fighting machine*
*Turn off footy*
*Pick up phone*
''Honey. Should I quit drinking?''
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 5 of 5 - 48 messages found « First Page Prev Page
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved