Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds   » Memories   » This album gave...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

This album gave me nightmares for years!
Author

Group: Forum Members
Active: 27/12/2012

Hello there, first-time poster here. Thought I'd start off by sharing my first experiences with this album.

It was back in about 1994, I think, when I was only a kid in primary school. We had a substitute teacher, one Mr. Austin I think his name was, who was obsessed with War of the Worlds (though I still say I knew a lot more about space than he did). Several of our lessons would revolve around WotW, things like paintings and collages, and of course we listened to the album. That album absolutely terrified me, particularly 'Horsell Common and the Heat Ray', which would always give me a really bad case of the shakes. This was a really deep-rooted fear that sometimes still comes back to haunt me.

For years afterwards just thinking about that track would get me scared, particularly at night when I was trying to sleep. For a long time I was able to avoid listening to it, but then my mum bought the album when it was re-released on CD (she first heard it when it came out and loves it). As a cynical teen I pretty much scoffed at it, except for that damn second track.

Nowadays, though, I think (well, I hope) that this phobia is conquered. After listening to the album a few more times, listening to it all the way through, it's grown on me, and seeing the live show on DVD has made me regret I can't go see the actual thing (lack of finances, you see). It opened my eyes to the power of music as a storytelling medium, and it also got me into the Moody Blues.

So, there you have it. That's pretty much my experience with the album. It's been the cause of a long-lasting phobia and a source of real enjoyment at the same time.

"They must be cast out... and I have been chosen to do it!"
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 12/04/2007 03:48

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 29/02/2008

You are referring to the unscrewing of the cylinder giving you nightmares? Yes....I still cringe when I hear that sound. That and the martian "ulla". All these years later...still creeps me out.

"Maybe from the madness, something beautiful will grow..."

Melee Stormbringer
stormbringercreations.firez.org

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 14/04/2007 23:09

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 18/11/2011
As a kid, Horsell Common and the Heat Ray really used to freak me out.  Richard Burton's voice was quite overwhelming as well.  Thankfully I have grown out of it now

...and slowly and surely, they drew their plans against us

-BWFUK-

The world's number 1 WOTW fan

www.eveofthewar.com

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 15/04/2007 09:53

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 18/11/2011
the first time my wife heard the album, loud and in the dark, she got really scared during the intro to the red weed and had to leave the room. nothing  to do with me i hope

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN...... WE ARE THE POLICE.. AND WE ARE BACK!!!!

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 18/04/2007 13:49

Active: 27/12/2012

Well, it's good to know I wasn't the only one.

I think part of my problem was that, for a long time, I just didn't "get" music, not even from the mainstream bands. Nowadays I can't picture getting through a day without music of some kind. With the amount of effects used in Horsell Common, it terrified me to hear something so bizarre and unnatural.

Oddly enough the Red Weed's grown to be one of my favourite tracks. It really does give you the feeling of wandering through a bizarre, alien world. Then again, I was really sick while that substitute teacher was taking my class (I don't know whether I willed myself into sickness so that I wouldn't have to listen to the rest of the album), so I didn't hear it until later in life.

"They must be cast out... and I have been chosen to do it!"
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 25/11/2007 19:17

Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 17/04/2012

Indeed, Horsell Common and The Heat Ray was terrifying to me as a child. More unbearable was the NASA epilogue, which gave me some serious brown trousers way back when. So much so that I used to skip it - the way the music rises and abruptly cuts out just freaked me out too much. The few seconds of silence that follows speaks volumes...

In regards to The Red Weed, the second part is incredible. The atmosphere is unrivalled and over the years it has become a favourite of mine.

"Tell me what kind of weapon is love when it comes to the fight?"

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 25/11/2007 22:13

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 25/11/2007
Yeah, the red weed song gave me nightmares, too, I think.

When I was six, when I first heard it.

I say "I think" because I have bad memory.

If I had a custom title, it'd have to be either "Forum's biggest Weeaboo", or "Der Grammar Fuhrer", not to offend you British people.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 26/11/2007 12:52

Falzonette
Supreme Being

Active: 28/11/2014
I feel like so much less of a complete wimp. Yep nightmares, check out the window....was that a green flare? And which direction is Mars anyway. You do know of course that cocooning yourself n your doona is the best way to hide from any kind of monster. It works. They still haven't got me!
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 11/01/2011 11:58
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 21/01/2016
The thing that always scared me was the actual fighting machines, well the sound they made. I was quite young and banned my parents from playing it in the car or in the house when ever i was around.

Now i cant get enough of the album and think the fighting machines are the best part

--------------------------------------------------------

see tripods - check
run from tripods - check
see tripods dying - check
boast about taking 20 out with nothing but a cough - awaiting compleation
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 1 - 9 messages found
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved