Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds   » Memories   » the first time ...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

the first time i heard the war of the worlds
Author

Group: Forum Members
Active: 13/08/2008

Hi there everyone! I have been a fan eversince i heard the album at a friends house, when i was about 9 years old, i can rember it scared me and the picture on the cover of the LP has always stuck in my mind. To this day i hate driving in my car and seeing the posts on duel carrage ways, which light up the road, they remind me of the heat ray that comes out of the try pod, is this just me or does anyone else think the same? But i do love listening to the Cd while i drive at night, i look up into the sky and wonder what is out there, i love that feeling of being scared while listening to it. My partner bought me the live edition in the west end for christmas, and i think it is excelent just what i hoped it would be like and more! I will try to go to London one day to see it for real.Dana xxx

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 22/04/2007 23:45

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 12/12/2012

Hi Dana, we've all had similar things, seeing Fighting Machines in lamposts and the like.

Welcome to the club!

-----------------

Le Grand Fromage! (Le New Generation!)

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 23/04/2007 21:01

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 29/02/2008
For me it was water towers. I can remember being in an "altered state" and running screaming through the streets of Baltimore because I thought the invasion had begun. I still look at water towers funy.

"Maybe from the madness, something beautiful will grow..."

Melee Stormbringer
stormbringercreations.firez.org

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 01/09/2007 07:19

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 07/02/2018
I think I was about 6 when I first heard it (coming up 7 years ago now)and it scared me witless
But one day, after a few years, I just listened to it and realised just what a piecw of art it was, and as I was a slightly more advanced piano player by then, my dad suddenly went downstairs and got his copy of the music out and asked if I wanted to have a go.
Guess what my answer was, anyone?

Brendan Agnew: TWOTW Site Admin and overall Nutter

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 01/09/2007 22:18

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 11/02/2018
Thank god it was released in 1978 and not now, it would perhaps now get a limited mention on classic fm.

Can't sleep, the Clown's will eat me.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 29/10/2007 12:30

Falzonette
Supreme Being

Active: 28/11/2014

I was about 13. My sister turned all the lights off and cranked the volume up. Scared the..... out of me. Awsome , wonderful, hiding under the doona covers..

My son is now 13. Hehehehehe. Oh you better believe I did!

My one problem was always the ending, so I am going to share some personal details incase anyone else felt it was a little easy.

I was on my way to work a few months ago (8 weeks before the show opened here) I got a call from my brother. He told me his son was dead. 3 1/2 years old. They put him to bed and he never woke up. He was one of 4 babies that died of an unknown bacterial infection that week. They just died. One family had enough time to recognise there was a problem, but the baby died before reaching hospital. This type of thing can happen. It is really that sudden. One minute alive the next minute gone.

(sorry for the downer!)

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 04/09/2008 11:04

Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 03/10/2012

We were about 8 years old at the time in 1979.At Loxley primary school in sheffield.Warren a Kiss fan brought in an LP.[Remember them.LOL]
Mrs Peacock our teacher who's favourite catch phrase if you ever dared to misbehave was.."I'll marmalize you!".....
But on this rare occasion we had been well behaved for some time.hahaha.As a reward she kept her side of the bargain and put on Warren's copy of War Of The Worlds.The whole class was mesmerised with the music,we were elated.I found it so inspiring and uplifting I had to have it,as did some of my other classmates.Mrs Peacock said she'd play it again and used it as a device to keep us well behaved.It worked wonders,and we were rewarded with Jeff's masterpiece several more times.Yeeeeeeah!!Much to the delight of the whole class.For christmas 1979 I was so excited when I was given the album by my parents.It was,is and always will be my all time favourite gift.So 29 years later I've Ordered Jeff's signed and numbered poster that's going in a frame in the lounge pride of place where my friends [some of them from the day in the classroom] & family and all visitors can marvel at the legend that is Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds.I've all the DVD's,the different copies on CD and the daddy of them all The Box Set,mouse mat,T shirts,hooded top,baseball c....etc.Yu could say the album had a lasting impression on me,and Rock music all because of Jeff Wayne..and Mrs Peacock hahaha

'06 '07 '09 '10!!!

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 14/09/2008 04:58

Active: 19/10/2008
Wow, some touching stories there. I first heard it when I was about 8, I decided to raid the loft which was full of my dads records and I remember being mesmerised by the cover of WOTW. Sure enough I put it on my Alba HiFi I had in my room and just sank into my own world of imagination, Jeff Waynes first words will never leave me to this day, I was sunk in and I still am to this day. "No one would believe...." still puts me in the same trance as I was in the first day I heard it as a kid, which would've been around 1987 and also influenced me into getting my first synth (a Roland Juno-60 which my folks bought for me from my school) which I learned to play the eve of the war to entertain the family when they were round.

Being successful at music production & DJing it's all thanks to finding WOTW, without it I'd probably be in a call centre.

Rob
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 15/09/2008 10:25

Active: 26/11/2010

I was 8 when I first heard it. I was impressed by its cover. so I decided to give it a try and now 10 years later, I still love it ;p I used to be so scared when I heard it for the first time - so many sleepless nights lol

Juneee 30th (L)!!! WOTW @ HMH Amsterdam.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 04/10/2008 21:31

Active: 17/03/2018

I can't recall exactly when I first heard it, but I can recall how surreal I found it.

When it was first released I was 14 so no prizes for guessing how old I am now, but I still find the cd as enjoyable now as I have ever done.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 3 - 23 messages found Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved