Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds   » Memories   » the first time ...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

the first time i heard the war of the worlds
Author
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Group: Forum Members
Active: 15/07/2009
when i was 17 i bought the book for a bookreport of english.i lost it during a move. later i got reacquanted by the game, and must have heard eve of war on the radio but without richard burton comment...then only a few months ago it was on a radio about the implications of the radio version. i only know of the live event a few years.it is only since a few days that i wanted to buy the 7 cd collector editions with 'coffee black' outtakes and the 'haha laugh' outtake

when i see how wotw has brought us scrin in c&c and tripods in universe at war then wotw is still 'now'ish..and not something old. i am happy he is revamping it...and keeping richard burton with the event in cgi form

a year back i downloaded the epac versions(wondered when the full version is put on epac)
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 26/06/2009 21:00
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 26/06/2009
Wow now i feel rather old (34) :-), well i was 5 when i first heard it back in 1979 when it was released, my older brother had bought it on tape, i had never heard anything like it before and i was instantly hooked, then the red weed came on and i hide under my bed cos i was so scared, lol, since then theres probably not a year gone by without me listening to it, and now i got my son hooked :-). I was so excited at christmas when mum bought us tickets for us to see it at the CIA in Cardiff which was 2 days ago, it was outstanding performance and am proud to have remember it 30 years ago and now to see it live, Thankyou Jeff Wayne your a lengend  
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 27/07/2009 18:28
Forum Member
Forum Member

Active: 14/08/2009

You're not old, hippochic. I am: 52 as of last week!

After reading a lot of these posts, I dug out my WOTW album yesterday and listened to it straight through for the first time in many years. I was amazed that it could still raise goosebumps! Thanks, Jeff, for a monumental artistic creation.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 31/07/2009 20:12
Forum Member
Forum Member

Active: 04/06/2010

I was a mad fan of David Essex and got his greatest hits one christmas. Had to buy everything he had been involved in so got WOTW just to hear him. (was only about 9 must have been a precocious child).

Have just finished reading David Essex's autobiography, must read for Jeff fans!

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 01/08/2009 04:44

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 12/12/2012

I've always liked 'Hold Me Close' by David Essex since I was a nipper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G2lqY3Nuk0

I'm not sure why I liked it (and still do). 

It was produced by Jeff Wayne, of course! If you listen to the backing track on the original single you can tell, too.

-----------------

Le Grand Fromage! (Le New Generation!)

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 01/08/2009 15:10
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Active: 18/11/2011
Quote: I've always liked 'Hold Me Close' by David Essex since I was a nipper. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G2lqY3Nuk0 I'm not sure why I liked it (and still do). It was produced by Jeff Wayne, of co...

Oh wow, thanks for that link!

I've just had a fantastic trip down memory lane looking at loads of video clips of David Essex's best-loved hits - and some of the more recent ones too, he can still deliver!

I just have to get out all my 1970's vinyl albums of David's now....

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 06/08/2009 01:30
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 11/11/2009
I remember my foster dad coming home with the record album when i was 11 years old. He came in with a big smile on his face and put the first record on the deck.

I sat and listened to it with him and boy did it put the willies up me for quiet a while after.

Although i must say i loved it and still do to this day.

Cheers dad.

:-)
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 29/05/2010 19:01
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 29/05/2010
I was about 7 years old at the time going through the parents (as you do) LP's and I found this double LP with a giant alien thing (hey, i was 7, i didn't know what it was - half scared me to death when I first saw it) on the cover & put it on.

i'm 25 now.. been hooked ever since (I have the SACD re-release, the LP in near mint condition (yay second-hand record stores) AND the live DVD now)

Chiyonosake
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 18/05/2011 20:14

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 19/05/2011
I first heard this when I was 3. 11 years later and I can finally listen to the whole thing without shivering. (For me it was always Horsell Common and the Heat Ray that did it)

Das KannonMann

"Look! There they are!"

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 19/05/2011 11:24

Falzonette
Supreme Being

Active: 28/11/2014
Now you just need to get through the book
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 2 of 3 - 23 messages found « First Page Prev Page Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved