Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds   » Memories   » Loved it by day...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

Loved it by day, scared to death at night
Author

Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Group: Forum Members
Active: 16/10/2009
my earliest memory of the album was when i was 5 or 6 . i thought it was the best but the strangest thing i ever heard. during the day i was fine but at night it was a different story , i used to sleep with my head under the covers cos i was convinced that if i looked out of the covers there was a big green martian eye at the window (i pretended to be brave but the thought was still there)  funny thing the dark when your a kid. 

The Flowers Understudy

"All Hail The Herbster"

The War of The Worlds on Bass

You Tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRCyQ0qcIMA

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 17/12/2007 01:37

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 12/12/2012

Ha.

Well, the night I first heard it (way back when!) I walked home from a relative's and the street lights where I lived at the time were very tall.

Have a guess at what my overactive 11 year old imagination thought they were!

I almost ran home!

-----------------

Le Grand Fromage! (Le New Generation!)

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 17/12/2007 22:15

Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Active: 16/10/2009
yeah know what u mean nerfy hold ya breath walk fast and keep lookin at the pavement

The Flowers Understudy

"All Hail The Herbster"

The War of The Worlds on Bass

You Tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRCyQ0qcIMA

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 24/12/2007 02:07

Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 17/04/2012

Slightly off topic I know but I am a huge fan of George A. Romero's zombie movies. When I first saw Dawn Of The Dead in 1983 at the age of 9, I walked home from a friends house at 10pm (he only lived a few blocks away) and there was a drunk staggering towards me. He moved all shambolic, bumping into hedges like a zombie would and I was so scared that I crossed the road to avoid him. Seriously, it absolutely petrified me.

So yeah, I have some experience with the over-active imagination thing.

"Tell me what kind of weapon is love when it comes to the fight?"

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 24/12/2007 06:45

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 12/12/2012
I was gonna say... If it had been last week it could have been me!

-----------------

Le Grand Fromage! (Le New Generation!)

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 27/12/2007 07:23

Falzonette
Supreme Being

Active: 28/11/2014

LOL! Its not just me!

Alien  Pulled up the covers. hid under the doona.

Got out of the dome in Sept, looked around and thought 'we know so much more now.... but still'

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 01/08/2008 13:59

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 19/09/2008
During the day there are many other things to keep us distracted. I play the album at work and of course most of my attention is on the task at hand (well, so I would have my co-workers believe, haha!). You get the idea. At night not only are there less distractions to keep our minds on other things, I find that the dark puts my imagination into overdrive. In fact, one of the reasons I can't sleep well is because my mind is too awake. Now, I for one am not afraid of the dark. But by night we're far more likely to have an over-active imagination, hence the reason I make a real effort not to play the album in bed! I always play music in bed (last night I was literally 'ROCKED' to sleep by Marilyn Manson!!) but anything like that is bad news. Not to mention the fact that...wait for it...

...all of my worst nightmares feature aliens.

Yup, recently almost all of my bad dreams have been linked to alien invasion. In one such dream me and my family were crouched on the kitchen floor, in darkness, as an alien machine glided past the window. And when the soldier knocked on the door and told us to stay inside no matter what, I kept asking over and over "are they hostile?!". To which the reply was "...yes. They are".

Needless to say the very last thing I need at night is TWOTW!!

www.trig.com/sarah_b
www.sarahbarker.etsy.com
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 27/01/2009 21:48

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 05/05/2009
Ohhh, I understand that. First time I seen WOTW it was in Play Station game. My daddy only played that game :o
I was scared even to watch at them, especially I hated fighting machines because of it terrible, green ,,eyes".

I am very compassionate to all ,,survivers" of the night Martian attack
Perhaps that was Xeno Telepath attacking our minds? >joke<

+++ AVE GOD +++

GLORIA IN EXCELSIS DEO ET IN TERRA PAX HOMINIBUS VOLUNTATIS
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 27/02/2009 15:35
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 27/02/2009
Yeah dude this is really cruel wat i did 2 a cousin that i didnt like & still dont!! but i put my tape player under the bed & played it at the part of The red weed pt1 & turned off the lites & locked him in!!! Wrong i know but hey he had a Death Star!!!
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 23/07/2009 16:46
Forum Member
Forum Member

Active: 14/08/2009
As I was a college student when I bought WOTW, I never got scared by the recording. However, I could deeply appreciate the almost cinematic quality the record possessed -- the chimes of Big Ben fading in at the beginning of "Forever Autumn," the sound effect of the Martian cylinder crashing on Parson Nathaniel's house, Beth's initial distant cry of "Nathaniel!" So I can see how younger listeners could have been affected in ways similar to the radio listeners of Orson Welles' version back in 1938. The engineering and editing on this concept album are nothing less than phenomenal! Small wonder it still intrigues music lovers today.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 1 - 10 messages found
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved