Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds   » Memories   » memorys of when...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

memorys of when you first heard war of the worlds
Author

Tardis Pilot
Supreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Active: 13/01/2015

i remember the first time i heard war of the worlds i was at a freinds and there brother had it playing at first i did not like mainly because i did not like my freinds brother but eventuly i listented to i propaly and loved it from then on i tryed to get myself a copy which i did 2 years ago

so what are your memories of the first time you heard the war of the worlds

2xr :

"a thing that looks like a Police box standing in a Junkyard it can travel anywere in time and space."

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 18/01/2008 11:29

Falzonette
Supreme Being

Active: 28/11/2014
My sister made me listen to it. I was so scared that all this time later, I still nearly didn't go! Eventually the lure of seeing Michael Falzon in action proved to much and I decided to go. I loved it (obviously) and am really glad I toughened up and bought the tickets!
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 21/01/2008 09:22

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 03/08/2009

Dad had a tape of it that used to appear in the car when we were going on long trips...  I can still remember being in the back seat humming along to the music whilst my Mom & sister were both asleep.

Col.

The Universe is not like Clockwork....
The Universe is like stoats fighting in a sack....
BLOODY AND CHAOTIC

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 21/01/2008 13:26

Tardis Pilot
Supreme Being

Active: 13/01/2015

great memories.

anyone ellse remember the first time they heard the war of the worlds

2xr :

"a thing that looks like a Police box standing in a Junkyard it can travel anywere in time and space."

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 14/02/2008 20:44

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 21/07/2011

Sure, I remember!

My older brother (who did a lot of my initial "musical education" - obviously, because I had no means of playing music - tapes, records myself..) bought the album in the late 70'ies.

At first I found it a bit strange, but that is maybe why it fascinated.. I was into science fiction, and knew H. G. Wells allready (yes, I was a weird kid ). It is important to know, that this was the time when we also listened a lot to Pink Floyd; "The Wall" and David Bowie "Heroes" and a lot other... Our older sister did not like the record at all, but could be convinced a bit. Mostly because of Justin H. She was into Moody Blues. As I remember it, my parents, at that time, turned it down as being "noise" as with most of the music we listened to..

When I was home alone, I sneaked into my brothers room and borrowed some of his records to play at my parents Stereo (Yes! Stereo!) in the livingroom... But never WoTW when it was dark. I simply found it too scary!

Later, of course I bought the album myself. Later the CD. Then DVD, and eventually tickets for the Live on Stage. But WoTW has allways been part of the "soundtrack of my life"; I have been listening to it "on-and-off" for (God help me!) allmost 30 years, and it still thrills!

I sometimes put on the "old vinyl", though a bit worn and scratched (some of the severe scratches can still be traced to the parties when they were made!). And the depth and quality of the recording can still amaze me...

As a side-story, my daughters of 10 and 14 also likes the album. So I am breeding the next generation of fans for the next 30 years...!

drumsdk

“He may talk like an idiot, and look like an idiot, but don’t let that fool you: he really is an idiot.”

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 16/02/2008 00:56

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 21/02/2014

I cant remeber exactly when i first heard it but i do remember i took notice of it when the eve of the war remix was released into the charts in 1989!! i even remeber i was listening to the charts at my cousins she thought it was pants but me i was hooked, after that my teacher had the album on on the last day of school and i took a lot more notice of it then!!

then i badgered my mum for the cassette album for me to take on holiday and i just listed to it over and over god knows how many lots of batteries it went through!

but since then i have listened to it over and over again! i wore out the tape so had to replace it on CD which i have now got in MP3 so as i dont loose it at all and can listen to it now when im out with my MP3 player!

i know for my hubby it will have been December 2007 when we went to the Nottingham Arena, he was never interested up till that point as he said his dad had bored him with it as a kid having it playing all the time! (i guess he never paid much attention when i had it playing then) but since the show he has been a full convertee even nabbing my MP3 of the album for him to liten to on the way to and from work!

Mummy to 3 :-)

burdened with CFS/ME though WOTW helps me to get through it :-)
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 21/02/2008 01:00

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 30/01/2012
An elder brother had the double vinyl album. Which I couldn't stop listening to. Especially when he went out to his fiances and I got the bedroom to myself AND his stereo!

And the perks of living in an enormous house, garden ... in an isolated area meant the volume also went up. Well, sometimes. But most of the time.

In memory now, it was 'chilling' klaxons I remember the most ... that I remember mostly from it. How 'creepy' it sounded back then. Being a new sound, not heard before really on any album.

'That didn't pan out'
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 21/02/2008 14:03

Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Active: 16/10/2009
my earliest memory of the album was when i was 5 or 6 . i thought it was the best but the strangest thing i ever heard. during the day i was fine but at night it was a different story , i used to sleep with my head under the covers cos i was convinced that if i looked out of the covers there was a big green martian eye at the window (i pretended to be brave but the thought was still there)  funny thing the dark when your a kid. 

The Flowers Understudy

"All Hail The Herbster"

The War of The Worlds on Bass

You Tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRCyQ0qcIMA

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 22/02/2008 14:12

Falzonette
Supreme Being

Active: 28/11/2014
Quote: my earliest memory of the album was when i was 5 or 6 . i thought it was the best but the strangest thing i ever heard. during the day i was fine but at night it was a different story , i used to slee...

- The doona cover. Universal protection from martians, vampires, werewolves and for some reason 6ft killer ants (or is that just me?)

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 22/02/2008 21:44

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 07/02/2018
No, the ants were a big one after my bro told me about Ender's Game, which I have now read, and love

Brendan Agnew: TWOTW Site Admin and overall Nutter

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 7 - 64 messages found Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved