Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds   » Memories   » memorys of when...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

memorys of when you first heard war of the worlds
Author

Falzonette
Supreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Active: 28/11/2014
You thought the Buggers were scary? I guess I read it at a later stage than you. No, I was thinking more of a bad scifi movie i saw once that had a small scene where people were being coccooned for later consumption and the hero had to save the semi-naked girl.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 23/02/2008 20:06

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 07/02/2018
I was 5, and David (My brother) who was 8 at the time, really layed it on thick, not much like the Enders Game, but he had just read it, but his description was much more like Starship Troopers

Brendan Agnew: TWOTW Site Admin and overall Nutter

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 24/02/2008 06:31

Falzonette
Supreme Being

That would change the entire intent of the book! I guess the Starship Troopers could have been a bit like the first invasion they talk about in Enders Game, but by the bit where the story actually starts, things have progressed a lot. I can understand being scared of the Buggers in that situation. I vaguely remember watching a movie at about that age or younger about what can only be described as booger monsters from the moon that grew into what were really bad costumes and killed people on a space ship. It must have been absolutely hilarious, but at the time, at that age.....
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 24/02/2008 06:53

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 07/02/2018
Indeed

Brendan Agnew: TWOTW Site Admin and overall Nutter

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 28/02/2008 12:45

Martian Investigator
Supreme Being

Active: 26/11/2011

hi everyone,this my first posting

the first time i heard wotw was when i was thirteen and my mum and dads friends lent them their double cassette,i cant remember if i liked it or not but i do remember taking our dog out for a walk afterwards and expecting two green luminous eyes to suddenly appear above the houses,and years later i cant listen to it at night especially the red weed music which totally terrifies me.

halt,who goes there
nicki042
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 29/02/2008 05:47

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 29/02/2008

I don't recall how I heard it the first time, but I have a memory of a childhood friend who owned the record on vinyl and played it for me. As far as I know that's how I heard it the first time. Later, someone gave me the vinyl as a gift and I treasured it for years. Most people didn;t get it, at least until I reached an age where we all did a few "recreational drugs" and I converted many people to the album.

My original vinyl was lost over the years, but I have it now on cd, burned to my  computer and I do not touch it with bare hands.

It is a good memory, and something I still enjoy.

"Maybe from the madness, something beautiful will grow..."

Melee Stormbringer
stormbringercreations.firez.org

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 29/02/2008 09:30

Falzonette
Supreme Being

Quote: hi everyone,this my first posting the first time i heard wotw was when i was thirteen and my mum and dads friends lent them their double cassette,i cant remember if i liked it or not but i do remem...

Welcome to the insanity Nicki042.

YOur not alone in feeling like that! I was so scared (at the same age) that I nearly didn't go to the show last year! I am so glad I am over it! It really hits home doesn't it!

Enjoy the site and come back to us soon

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 29/02/2008 15:45

Martian Investigator
Supreme Being

Active: 26/11/2011

thanks for the welcome kllr.queen

yes and it still hits home 30 years later although i dont look for luminous eyes anymore i still cant listen to it at night.my daughter and i are hoping to see the live show next year,i have the dvd and it looks amazing.we have three copies of the cd as my teenage son and daughter both own one each,its quite amazing to listen to it with them like i used to listen to it with my mum and dad.

halt,who goes there
nicki042
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 12/04/2008 14:43
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Active: 03/12/2018
I remember picking-up the tape cassette version in about 1979 in a shop, thinking "How can they make a musical version of that?" and putting it back on the shelf. I can remember seeing David Essex and Justin Hayward on "Top of the Pops", when the singles came out, and being impressed but it was a few years that I bought the LP. Since then I've never been without a some version. It is a true classic.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 16/05/2008 06:51

Active: 16/06/2008
My first memeories of The War Of The Worlds was when my Uncle came over to our house in 1978 with the album LP I was 10 .I was supposed to be in bed asleep but when I heard this different out of this world music I could not sleep instead I crept downstairs to the landing on the staircase I saw my Uncle standing facing me with the album book he was narrating and turning the pages for each scene, My Uncle saw me but the rest of the family did not he gave me a wink like he approved of me being there and continued ,I was in awe it was unreal all of my family was there exept the young ones like myself I was just lucky he choose our house to showcase the album .It sends shivers up my spine to this day.Incredible music and narration .I was hooked from that day on .Iam now 40 and my passion for this masterpiece has never ebbed it has only gotten stronger .I Thank my Uncle Pieter for giving me a glimpse into this world .I thank you Jeff Wayne for giving this breathtaking masterpiece to us .
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 2 of 7 - 64 messages found « First Page Prev Page Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved