Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds   » Memories   » memorys of when...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

memorys of when you first heard war of the worlds
Author

Tardis Pilot
Supreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Active: 13/01/2015
oh the colectors edition strange i have never called it CE but i do have it in my collection well i will do when i get it back on saterday from a freind who borrowed it but if i dont get it back i will just buy a new one. but thanks for telling me what CE was and where if need be i can get a new one

2xr :

"a thing that looks like a Police box standing in a Junkyard it can travel anywere in time and space."

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 26/06/2008 14:45

Falzonette
Supreme Being

Active: 28/11/2014
I was getting ready for work the other day, and heard Tigger in the bath making funny noises. He had picked out some obscure riff from deep in the heart of WOTW, and was singing it over and over again.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 01/08/2008 14:19

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 19/09/2008
My dad had the album on cassette tape. Hands up all of those who miss the constant rewinding and eventual ruining of the tape? No, me neither.

Anyway, like I said it was my dad's copy and he played it in the car when I was a kid. "A kid" being my term for "no damn clue how old I was but it was around 9 or 10". I was in Primary School so it must have been around that age. Interestingly, it didn't scare me as a kid. Quite the opposite in fact, I was fascinated by it. At a time when everything my parents liked was automatically boring to me, I didn't mind TWOTW at all. I should point out that during those early listening times I couldn't always make out what was being said and follow the story properly, so the music was the main thing. The music and the cover art. Oh, that cover...I was so drawn to it. The ship, the tripod, everything. With a cassette this was the only artwork we had of course. I would try to draw it myself on occasion. It didn't scare me because at the time I couldn't see the horror in it. I was a kid, we all live forever at that age, right? So the whole death and destruction part of it never entered into my mind.

OK enough babble. Fast forward about ten years and I got my own copy on CD. No more rewind button. Glorious.

Obsession is a strong word but suitably accurate I think. At long last I followed the story properly, payed attention to all that went on, was drawn in to the music with full force.

And spat right back out again. It started to freak me out. A lot...

www.trig.com/sarah_b
www.sarahbarker.etsy.com
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 02/08/2008 10:25

Falzonette
Supreme Being

I have 3 boys.The oldest two are into JW-WotW. The eldest is in the geek squad at his high school, doing the advanced classes, the other one is, well we love Tig, and there are worse things in life than stupid.

Tig sits in the bath for an hour singing the guitar riff from Horsell Common. Bear loved it during the day, but as you said Sky, scared at night. lol. Not much scares Tig. I think he just doesn't get it. He doesn't really empathise with people in a book.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 03/08/2008 02:41

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 12/12/2012
And how do you follow that?

-----------------

Le Grand Fromage! (Le New Generation!)

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 03/08/2008 12:57

Falzonette
Supreme Being

sorry. Was that a bit much?
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 12/08/2008 15:54

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

It would appear that the effects are no longer limited to night time. I was home alone not long ago, the day was still light, and I was enjoying my new 7-disc set. I think it is safe to say that it is no longer a good idea to enjoy TWOTW with no-one else in the house. I openly admit to being easily afraid but that surely takes the micky? My relief when I heard the front door open indicated just how freaked out I has been!

www.trig.com/sarah_b
www.sarahbarker.etsy.com
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 12/08/2008 17:53

Martian Investigator
Supreme Being

Active: 26/11/2011

i have to admitthat even though i do the big grown up adult bit(you know it doesnt scare me any more)i also can get freaked out if i listen to wotw in daytime when everyone is out and i have had the odd sleepless night afterwards although the weird thing is i can watch the musical dvd in the dark and be absolutly fine(now thats what i call freaky or just plain weird) or maybe im just weird

halt,who goes there
nicki042
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 13/08/2008 10:40

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Well done Jeff. You make every adult here want to sleep with a night light. Haha!

www.trig.com/sarah_b
www.sarahbarker.etsy.com
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 13/08/2008 11:52

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 17/06/2010

Scared and entranced:

First time a heard war of the worlds i was about 8. It was in the car and late (well, for an 8 year old) and dark. We pulled up at a petrol station and when my parents went to pay i was left in the car. The easily bored person i was, i went throught the tapes and found The war of the worlds (i was drawn in by the thunderchild picture) . My parents came back to find me hiding under the seat looking up towards the sky.

"My dad had the album on cassette tape. Hands up all of those who miss the constant rewinding and eventual ruining of the tape? No, me neither." I wore out parts of my parents tape with all the rewinding

I maybe nuts but im no fruitcake!

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 4 of 7 - 64 messages found « First Page Prev Page Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved