Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Other "The War of The Worlds" related   » Other TWOTW Incarnations   » Tom Cruise Vers...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

Tom Cruise Version
Author

Group: Forum Members
Active: 09/06/2009
Quick question for you.....

Im prob gonna get boo'ed for this and im sorry to bring it up but with this site being all things WOTW...

I watched the Tom Cruise version the other week and apart from the obvious answers of it not being rubbish

Does anyone know Why the Martian ray does not desintigrate the clothes of the people, surly if it was a heat ray they would be destroyed also?

Thanks

John
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 07/05/2008 20:34

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 07/02/2018
I think that it is more of a dessication ray, which removes all water from the people, and this would also explain why the clothes fly away looking so light, I guess. I really don't know

Brendan Agnew: TWOTW Site Admin and overall Nutter

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 07/05/2008 20:44

Active: 09/06/2009
thanks for the reply bagnewaauckland

i was just curious thats all because in Jeff's version it is heat ray so wondering why they could not use the same in the Cruise film (and i realise there are major differences between the 2 adaptations)
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 08/05/2008 07:12

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Active: 07/02/2018
No problems, I'm amazed, actually, that I was the first to get on to this one, as I'm usually beaten by a lot of the others due to the time zone I'm in (NZ) and I've got no idea why they didn't use a heatray. Probably something silly like a Dessicator will cost us $$ and a heatray $$$ or they thought it was cheaper to use baking powder than to set fire to things!

Brendan Agnew: TWOTW Site Admin and overall Nutter

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 08/05/2008 11:33

Falzonette
Supreme Being

Active: 28/11/2014
The book has a heat ray. I guess it is getting a bit 'old' now abd Speilberg wanted to trick it up a bit. Maybe it looks better?
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 09/05/2008 15:26

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 26/10/2015

Hang on - when Tom runs around the corner after the emergance of the first machine don't the trees catch fire after exposure to the 'Dissicator Ray'?  I'm sure you see the tips of them on fire. 

UPDATE:  Yeah, there is a treefire, but it may not have been struck by the beam...  The chapter on the DVD specifically states 'The Heat Ray' but as you say this isn't any ordinary Heat Ray beam weapon (it's more akin to a disintegrator)...

"Grotesque gleam of a time no history will ever fully describe!"

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 10/05/2008 01:22

Falzonette
Supreme Being

Active: 28/11/2014
Quote: No problems, I'm amazed, actually, that I was the first to get on to this one, as I'm usually beaten by a lot of the others due to the time zone I'm in (NZ) and I've got no idea why they didn't use a ...

What about WA? You probably havent heard that we are often referred to as Wait Awhile, or the Cinderella State (Last one to get to the party) Whats the time difference between the rest of Australia and WA? - About 25 years. Why did the wise men come from the East? - Couldn't find any in the West

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 11/05/2008 22:45

Alexischick
Supreme Being

Active: 04/06/2015
UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't stand the tom cruise verison, he is the worst actor ever .
Artillerygirl (bfc&p)

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 09/07/2008 22:19

Forum Member
Forum Member

Active: 09/08/2008
Quote: UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't stand the tom cruise verison, he is the worst actor ever .

Same. i hated what they did with that film. it wasn't about the martians really, it was about some dad trying to get his kids to love him.
but thats not the war of the worlds i know.

i'll stick with my journalist thanks!

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 10/07/2008 03:11

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Active: 12/12/2012

I agree.

But the tripods in that film were AWESOME!

Ultimately... we were left witth a mediocre film about a bloke and his disfunctional family (overall) with some stunningly good bits (where the Martians were allowed to turn up).

I loved about 50% of it.

I just wish someone would make a consistently good version.

Gah.

-----------------

Le Grand Fromage! (Le New Generation!)

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 8 - 74 messages found Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved