Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Other "The War of The Worlds" related   » Other TWOTW Incarnations   » Tom Cruise Vers...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

Tom Cruise Version
Author

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 07/02/2018
Let's just hope that Jeff's one will be "Consistently Good"

Brendan Agnew: TWOTW Site Admin and overall Nutter

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 10/07/2008 08:58

Falzonette
Supreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Active: 28/11/2014
Quote: I agree. But the tripods in that film were AWESOME! Ultimately... we were left witth a mediocre film about a bloke and his disfunctional family (overall) with some stunningly good bits (where the Ma...

I wish some one would read the book first!

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 10/07/2008 11:39

Forum Member
Forum Member

Active: 09/08/2008
i was glad they used tripods! unlike the 1950's version where they were floating triangle things.
i think they did them really well design wise - they stuck to the traditional story and yet were rather modern looking.

i didn't like how the tripods were always in the earth, and the martians came to earth via the lighting storms. it didn't happen like that! *screams*

i might have to get into the movie making business and make my own! LOL
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 10/07/2008 11:44

Active: 09/06/2009
i actually prefer the aliens in the 50's version then in the tom cruise version. i know its not the same as in the story, but there were many changes in the 50's film to the actual story anyway
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 10/07/2008 20:34

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Active: 26/10/2015

Not that I want to be standing up for this (because there are massive inconsistances as an adaptation and the story in parts is just not good) there are a lot of hidden parallels with the novel with modern twists added.  For example, the emergance of the first Tripod has the ground rotate in a screw-type motion (which I cannot claim to have noticed initially, a very good friend pointed this out to me).

Of course the reference to a (smarter?!) brother, escape by carriage (People Carrier), the Ferry scene (dramatic!) are obvious parallels to the novel (and I am told that the Screen Writer didn't even bother to read the novel... really?)

Even an alusion to the Aliens (these are NOT Martians) not knowing what a wheel is...   There are some really neat touches to the film.  But of course it isn't what the hardcore wanted and I have to go with that.  I will say again those Machines were timeless and could just as easily been tearing up London at the turn of the Century rather than the Eastern Seaboard of the USA.

Oh, did I forget to mention the Jacket and how it and not Tom Cruise, was the star?  Silly me...

"Grotesque gleam of a time no history will ever fully describe!"

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 10/07/2008 22:24

Martian Investigator
Supreme Being

Active: 26/11/2011

i know we are in a small minority here but my daughter and i both love the speilberg film,i thought the aliens coming down in the lightening and the tripods being underground were clever twists to the story.The things that let the film down were rachels constant screaming which does get annoying at times,and the over soppy ending.the first tripod scene and the ferry scene are very atmospheric and excellently done.

i personally prefer the speilberg version to the 1950s version.

halt,who goes there
nicki042
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 11/07/2008 10:42

Active: 23/10/2008

Am I the only one who loved spielberg's version then?

I thought it was very well adapted to fit modern age. But it did still follow the original story in many respects.

Ogilvy was in there (although he was a character amalgamted from the parson), the red weed was there, the martians were harvesting humans, the imprisonment in the seller and the birds flying around the fighting machine.

The book was following the story of the journalist/narrator and not the martians. Likewise the movie also had to follow the story of some ordinary guy.

I don't believe that people should look on the movie with such a narrow vision. It is what it is. A modern adaptation of a classic story.

And I thought Dakota Fanning was just fantastic.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 11/07/2008 11:58

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 21/02/2014

For me this film actually scared the crap out of me, i was fine and was amazed with the look of the fighting machine then their heat reay hit and the way the people went poof looked so real it left me with a horrible feeling, i did try to watch it again as my hubby got it on dvd but i wasnt thrilled, it wasnt a bad story and as said the machines looked fantastic, but it had Tom Cruise in it FFS he gets on my wick, why cannot someone with a BIG BIG budget do a direct film of the book, thats all we ask for!!

maybe i will try it again i dont know!

Mummy to 3 :-)

burdened with CFS/ME though WOTW helps me to get through it :-)
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 11/07/2008 12:11

Falzonette
Supreme Being

Active: 28/11/2014

I think it lost me when the machines came out of the ground. When exactly did the martians apparently bury them? That didn't make much sense to me. I mean forward planning in a battle is one thing, but that just struck me as ridiculous.

There can never be a straight retelling of any book. Not really, there is too much difference between the  verbal and visual media used. But that doesn't mean that a movie cannot have similar themes, context and energy. There have been some great book to movie transitions, but this to me was a little like Guns of Navarone. Ok, you have a war, and some one has a big gun, but the point seems entirely missed.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 11/07/2008 16:56

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 21/02/2014
oh yeah i know we could never have a direct copy of the book, but something with a good budget and a decent story based round the book, maybe a mini series would be good or something along the lines and budget of Band Of Brothers.Mummy to 3 :-)

burdened with CFS/ME though WOTW helps me to get through it :-)
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 2 of 8 - 74 messages found « First Page Prev Page Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved