Forum

Home
Member List
Forums   » Other "The War of The Worlds" related   » Other TWOTW Incarnations   » Tom Cruise Vers...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register ) 

Tom Cruise Version
Author

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 12/12/2012

I think, K.Q., the aliens (no, not Martians) buried the machines millions of years back. Why they did so is actually not stated.

But then we only have Ogilvie's word for all of this. He had a thankless job, frankly... an ambulance man taking the part of two, quite separate, characters from the book... a curate AND an astronomer. Which obviously makes sense. And he had to try to explain certain themes that were at odds with the book.

Poor sod.

I had plenty of time to think about that in an almost empty cinema on the day after the film opened.

Don't you just love Hollywood and their refusal to bother papering over huge plot holes? You know. The ones they put there in the first place.

It's just as well the film had some awesome tripod FX, really.

-----------------

Le Grand Fromage! (Le New Generation!)

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 12/07/2008 09:00

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Moderators
Active: 07/02/2018
Plot holes the size of tripods!

Brendan Agnew: TWOTW Site Admin and overall Nutter

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 12/07/2008 12:57

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Active: 27/08/2018
I think the Spielberg version is quite ok for a movie adaption. Just take how other books like Starship Troopers or the Time Machine were butchered for the cinema...

Calmar

-------------------------------------

Not a forum moderator of the 'biggest' The War Of The Worlds site's on the net:

http://www.thewaroftheworlds.com

Below the thunders of the upper deep;
Far far beneath in the abysmal sea,
His ancient, dreamless, uninvaded sleep
The Kraken sleepeth
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 12/07/2008 13:31

Active: 09/06/2009
i saw this a while back that was quite interesting

http://www.bspcn.com/2008/06/30/10-books-that-were-better-off-on-paper/
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 12/07/2008 14:14

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Interesting atricle.

Well, I have not read Dune and therefore have no comparison, but I like the movie as it is.

Except for The Lord of the Rings I cannot recall any film-adaption of a fantastic book that stayed true to its original, yet, off the top of my head.
Maybe I can come up with one later.

Calmar

The Kraken sleepeth
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 12/07/2008 16:05

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 21/02/2014
ooooooo maybe Peter Jackson could do a good job with making an adaptation from the book!! i absolulty love LOTR can watch them over and over and that is the extended versions! Mummy to 3 :-)

burdened with CFS/ME though WOTW helps me to get through it :-)
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 12/07/2008 18:22

Active: 09/06/2009
now that would be good

am interested to see how the hobbit and tintin come out, but yeh Peter Jackson gets my vote
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 12/07/2008 18:48

Martian Elder
Supreme Being

Let's not forget that Jeff Wayne stays true to Wells' story, except for placing the subplot with the narrator's brother in the main plotline (and giving the parson a wife), which does not damage the story in my opinion. So whether the upcoming movie is closer to the book or the musical, I believe H.G. would be pleased with it.

Calmar

The Kraken sleepeth
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 13/07/2008 04:59

Falzonette
Supreme Being

Active: 28/11/2014

(off the top of my head)

Earendel was a mariner

Who tarried in Arvernian

He built a ship of timbers felled

In Nimbrithill to journey in

I loved PJ's version of LOTR. I thought his commitment to a book long cinsidered impossible to translate was admirable. It wasn't exact, but he kept the spirit alive, and for the most part I think the changes were completely justifiable. i hope whoever directs Jeffs version of WOTW does so with the same passoin and commitment to the project as he did, or that I suspect Jeff did when he first translated text to music.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 19/07/2008 20:17
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 07/09/2008
Quote: I think, K.Q., the aliens (no, not Martians) buried the machines millions of years back. Why they did so is actually not stated. But then we only have Ogilvie's word for all of this. He had a thankle...

If the martians had such advanced technology millions of years ago, how is it that they didn't harvest humans sooner?

As for zapping the martians into their machines on a beam of lightening - that is really old hat, borrowed from a sci-fi film quite a few years ago (can't remember the name but aliens from much further away zap into remote US (where else?) and take control of a power plant so their pals can be zapped to earth)

Overall, the film was good, liked the twist when they blew the harvester** but disliked the 'buried machines' aspect - why didn't they show on geological surveys when the city was being constructed? The green flare one day & meteor crash the next & subsequent 'working' inside would have been a great nailbiter - especially with the haunting opening/unscrewing of the lid (metal coffee jar lid echoing in an empty toilet bowl).

**Just as I loved JW's twist at the end - moving the story into modern day with the radio blackout at NASA

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 3 of 8 - 74 messages found « First Page Prev Page Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »

© Copyright Ollie Record Productions 2008. All Rights Reserved